Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 528 “feller buncher”

Gavin Phillips ยท 2008-03-14 13:11

In the early to mid 1980's, Caterpillar built a machine called the 528 Feller Buncher. The only "picture" if you can possible call it that, that I have seen of this beast, is one of those tiny little yellow icons which was on their product line brochure. I have never seen a proper picture of this particular model or a brochure for it either. What is the rear attachment, a blade? I am semi-familiar with the logging winches fitted to the standard 508/518/528 wheeled machines but this model is very different for some reason. :beatsme

Replies2
  1. #1John C.2008-03-14 21:22

    Hi Gavin, I believe that is the 528 skidder with the arch removed and a feller buncher head installed. The head is probably like what we call a hot saw today. I've seen similar units on a Hydro Axe. I'll look around but I don't think I've seen those used in my section of the US. Those kinds of machines like flat ground and plantation style plantings like you find in the southeastern US.

  2. #2roadrunner2008-03-15 00:37

    I seen a FB518 wheeled buncher years ago,and worked beside it from another contractor.It had a Roto-Saw on it for a head.the machine was a turned around backward 518 skidder.Very slow and clumsy but at that time was the cat's ass compared to hand falling pulp wood.