I just bought a Caterpillar 830MB last weekend and wonder what the differences are between the Clark 290M and the Cat 830MB? They look very similar. I’ve wanted one of these since I first saw one a few years ago and can’t wait to try it in the field. Anyone happen to know where I can by any operator and service manuals for it? If anyone knows anything about these I’d sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
Welcome to HEF iowatreefarmer! :drinkup
You can still get a lot of manuals from your nearest Caterpillar dealer, well back into the 1930's...Make sure you get the serial number off of your machine. I got the manuals for my D2 a while back, and they beat the other manual sellers like Jensales, which aren't worth having. Now they have the same quality as the originals, but in 8.5 X 11 so they are easier to read. Cost about $50 each, but you get what you pay for. Or, contact the guys on the Caterpillar bulletin boards in the other post, somone can probably help you! Alan627B
Thanks again Alan627B! Glad you mentioned Jensales as I was about to order from them. I called the local Cat dealer first and the guy was not helpful at all and hadn't even heard of an 830.
Get another parts guy on the phone.... Try Caterpillar Legendary Service Literature (aka Midland Press) 1-800-228-7821 You will need the serial number from the machine in question....might not be a bad idea to write down all the SN's you can find, some of the sub-assemblies have their own, such as hyd. controls and attachments....might as well write the arrangement number down as well, it couldn't hurt! The new manuals are the same quality as Cat originals, since Midland printed them for Cat....now in easier to read 8.5 X 11 size. These are the same ones the dealer can get you, assuming you can find a good parts guy! Although an 830 might be a bit of an oddball. Hope this helps, Alan627b
Dealer not aware???????????? Hi, Iowatreefarmer. I'd suggest that you take the relevant parts of this thread, roll them into a tight little cylinder, and stuff them gently up the right nostril of that Cat dealer, ALL the way to his brain. That way, he might actually register the fact of the existence of the Cat 830MB. Just joking but it does pose the question, what rock has that dealer been hiding under for how many years?
Got a GREAT Manual! Thanks again Guys! I called back and this time got a great guy...he had not heard of a 80MB either though! He went the extra mile and talked to someone else there and had him call me back. These guys were great and gave me the number to call for a manual and he took the time with me over the phone to answer all of my questions on capacities and what fluid to use, etc. I received the manual yesterday, great publication that covers everything, right down to where to place the explosives in the event the machine were to fall into enemy hands! I bought this machine to finish a 4 acre pond project I started last fall. It is amazing what this thing will do! I spent the weekend in the field and am already finished. It would have taken me a couple of weeks with my little 9-1/2 yard paddle scraper to do what this thing did in two days! I expected to have this machine until at least next spring but since I've already finished I'm going to sell her now and keep Mamma happy. If anyone is looking I'll take $15,000 for her. Thanks again, you guys are an invaluable asset to us novices!
830 mb for sale i may be intrested any chance I can get some pics thanks ew ross
:notworthy @ Deas Plant
FYI-I am the proud new owner of this 830MB. It is huge, I have moved only about 1000 yards of dirt so far but I am impressed. I am reclaiming and enlarging a 2.5 - 3 acre pond. I will get someone to push me with my D6 so I can load it quicker. I have even gotten it stuck but luckily was able to dig it out.
WE need pictures ,if possible?????:usa
Will do. I will let it warm up a bit too.
i was reading the replies then all of a sudden "im the proud new owner" i figured the only way that could happen so fast is if you were neighbors, until i looked at the dates. i would like to see your new machine too, congrats :drinkup
Hi Guys, It has been awhile since this thread was used and I was wondering if anyone has experiences with the CAT 830 MB? I just got one and it is a much bigger and more complicated machine than I have used or maintained. I would appreciated your feedback. Any vets with stories of their use in Vietnam? Thank you.
We had one. Not every operator could run it. I ran ours and found one other older operator who could handle it. They were original designed to have two operators. One for the dozer blade and one for the scraper. They can move a lot of dirt but you have to maintain them. There are a lot of grease zerks on an 830. I would like to find another or the one I had. I believe the one I had is still in Iowa.
I have a Cat 830MB with a little over 500 Hrs. since a complete Government rebuild which mean everything that moved was replaced with new. I alos have had 2 Cat 830M machines which were cable machines. The 830MB that I have now was completely rebuilt in 1979 and not used till the Government gave it to the city of Jasper In. It had 236 hours on it when I bought it at an auction. It had been setting in their garage for about 10 years and the turbo was rusted fast. I put on a new turbo and drove it up the highway about 100 miles to use it on a job. The only things I have did to it was to install the turbo on top of the engine (got too hot in the cab with it on the back of the engine) and an air ride seat. It seems as good as a new machine with good brakes and steering. All of the controls and joints are very tight. I've only used it about 300 hrs. and it self loads pretty good all tho a little push with a dozer helps. It seems to compare to a Cat 627 for the amount of dirt that it will move.
More pictures
If you don't mind saying, what did you have to pay for it @ the auction? Just curious.
Dale my email is [email protected] To new of a member to send you a note.
Need some help I'm taking a shot in the dark here I hope someone will read this and be able to help....... Next year will be my fathers 50th anniversary of his tour in Vietnam. He was a combat engineer. I would like to build a model of a road scraper that he did a lot of work with over there and give it to him a as a gift. I have a few pictures of his that I can use for reference.....but I am having a very hard time finding the model kit. I want to build it in 1/35 scale but at this point I will use anything I can find. From research I have done I believe what I'm looking for is a Caterpillar 830MB or maybe a 290M WHEEL DOZER & SCRAPER . I was hoping you may have some information on possible model kits or even a diecast one. I am a skilled model builder and I would be able to convert a diecast civilian scraper to look like a military version. Any help you may have would be a huge help. Thank you very much Danny [email protected]
Hey Danny, we have a 290M, so if you end up building one I could take a few pictures or measurements if you need them.
Thank you I had no luck in my search for one so I am building it up from a 1/32 front end loader. Cutting it down and highly modifying it. It's a bit of a stretch of the imagination but it's the best I could do. Still have a long way to go. But here is the start of it