Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 977L Smoke Issue

RBMcCloskey ยท 2015-09-17 16:21

I have a Caterpillar 977L 14X2022, at rest open throttle no smoke, exhaust clear. As soon as a load is applied black smoke and a loss of power. The machine worked fine the last time it was used, about 7 months ago, no smoke. Done to date: 1) No obstructions in air system, new filters. 2) New fuel filters. Clean fuel. 3) New Injector tips, old ones were badly carboned-up, wet and not in good shape. How do I test the turbocharger? How do I test/check the Fuel Ratio Control? Any others thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Bob McCloskey

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2015-09-17 20:08

    If you've got black smoke then you're not lacking in fuel. You've either not got enough air or the timing is wrong. Given that it's been parked for a few months, your turbo may have got water in it an be stuck. I would remove the intake line to the turbo and see if you can turn the impeller with your fingers. Run the engine and watch if the impeller is spinning up.

  2. #2RBMcCloskey2015-09-17 20:10

    Thanks, I shall. Bob

  3. #3RBMcCloskey2015-09-19 20:41

    Found the problem, which was the turbocharger is shot. The answer to the testing questions is: 1) 3306 engine in track loaders does not have a air/fuel ratio diaphragm, it is considered a constant operating speed engine. 2) To test the boost on the turbocharger, remove the pipe plug on the intake side of the turbo, attach a pressure gauge ( 100 psi is plenty) and check with brakes locked, in gear, at full throttle, convertor stalled 3) Check that the intake manifold gasket is not leaking air into the system after the turbo. Thanks to the shop service department at Foley Inc. in New Jersey. Bob McCloskey