Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar air intake heater troubleshooting

Columbo · 2023-11-16 20:22

Hi all, it’s getting colder here in New England and I don’t think the air intake heater is working on my 311B excavator. Machine S/N 8GR00401, engine S/N 6LK13329. Can anyone post the a troubleshooting guide for the intake heater? I’ve read that the relay often fails, where is this relay located? Thanks in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1ahart2023-11-17 19:45

    No troubleshooting procedure that I can find, the relay shows being in the circuit breaker panel near the master disconnect switch. Easiest way to check the heater is to put a clamp on amp-meter around the positive cable going to the heater and turn the key on when it’s cold out and see if the circuit is drawing amperage. A simple volt meter or test light will check the relay.

  2. #2Columbo2023-11-18 06:29

    Thank you! I’ll post back when I’ve checked it out