Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Announces Expansion Plans for Hydraulic Excavator Facility in Texas

WColtharp ยท 2011-06-21 16:23

I found this while reading over forconstructionpros.com and was wondering what people here thought about it. Could this have anything to do with caterpillar expanding back into the mining shovel market or simply expanding and upgrading their facilities? Either way thought it was good to see considering we (USA) can use all the manufacturing jobs we can get right now! Link to article: http://www.forconstructionpros.com/online/Construction-News/Caterpillar-Announces-Expansion-Plans-for-Hydraulic-Excavator-Facility-in-Texas/4FCP20622

Replies7
  1. #1CRAFT2011-06-21 23:40

    I love it ! ... keeping it here in North America and not going over seas like some others have ! ....... I'll keep supporting Cat as long as this keeps the economy flurishing..... .......................... " DOWN WITH GREY " ...................................

  2. #2masterwelder2011-06-22 20:08

    One good thing leads to another! Go USA:usa

  3. #3bigbob2011-06-23 06:27

    I wonder if the problems in Japan have anything to do with this decision...

  4. #4DGODGR2011-06-24 23:47

    I wonder if they are expecting a large amount of US growth. I was told that they make most of the excavators in Japan because they buy more than the rest of the world combined. Can anyone confirm this?

  5. #5alco2011-06-25 00:12

    I thought they made a significant number of their excavators in Belgium.

  6. #6sultan2011-06-25 06:40

    They make excavators in the US, Belgium, Japan, China, and perhaps some other places that I can't recall. Most [full size] CAT excavators sold in North America are built in the states. The full size excavators sold in Europe are mainly of Belgian origin (and I have a vague recall of them having one other manufacturing facility in Europe too but I'm not sure). The ones sold in Asia and Africa are mainly Japanese, but grey market machines are very common there. Chinese built CATs are sold in the chinese market.

  7. #7joispoi2011-06-25 08:33

    They might buy more per capita (if that's even the case), but there's no way that they account for over 50% of the world market share. They have 110 manufacturing facilites worldwide, 51 of which are in the USA. US growth is going to be slow. The focus is going to be on making base-hits instead of homeruns like we saw with the latest realestate boom.