Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar C11 Low Engine Oil Pressure.

Barendvanstaden ยท 2025-02-06 01:07

Good day, I have recently rebuild a Caterpillar C11 Engine, New Engine Oil Pump, New Filters with New Filter housing, I also Replaced the Oil pick up in the sump, and replaced the sensor on the Engine, But still the engine has very low engine oil pressure, when at operating temperature, the engine oil pressure are already at the minimum excepted oil pressure, Then checked my bearing clearances on the crank, and were in spec, Any suggestions?

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2025-02-06 09:35

    How exactly are you measuring the oil pressire.? What values of pressure do you have.? An engine Serial Number would help to find information.

  2. #2Barendvanstaden2025-02-07 00:47

    Good day, Thanks for the Reply, I am Measuring the Oil pressure on Cat Electronic technician, (ET) And With a Manual Gauge Pressure at 1800RPM The pressure measures 37.70 PSI(2.6Bar)

  3. #3Nige2025-02-07 08:55

    Thanks for the information. Still missing a Serial Number though.

  4. #4Barendvanstaden2025-02-10 00:16

    C11 HRA

  5. #5Deimos2025-02-10 01:45

    1) High Pressure Relief Valve (2) Pump Bypass Valve (3) Oil Filter Bypass Valve (4) Oil Cooler Bypass Valve Have you completely replaced the oil filter housing along with these bypass valves? Also, the cause of low oil pressure may be a broken piston cooling jets, you may need to check them.

  6. #6Barendvanstaden2025-02-10 02:19

    Good day Deimos, I have replaced the entire Filter Housing with Valves, Original CAT, together with the oil Pump OEM Part. The Cooling Jets have new Copper washers (10) But not replaced all the Jets, Will Check Thank you So Much

  7. #7DieselFit2025-02-10 03:15

    Check inside the tappet cover for excess oil from the rockers. Are the plugs in the ends of the rocker shafts?

  8. #8Barendvanstaden2025-02-10 03:57

    Just Checked it, I have made a video while Engine Running, The Holes on top of the Rockers, What i found funny, Was that Only the Exhaust Rockers have a decent amount of oil coming out, Except the Intake Valves has barely oil coming out?

  9. #9Nige2025-02-10 09:55

    Can you supply a complete Serial number please.? Send it via a message if you don't want to post it up. I want to look at the Test Spec oil pressure values for the engine and that requires the full Serial Number, or the Test spec Number if by chance it is shown on the engine Serial Number plate. FWIW, I picked a random HRA engine and what I found was somewhat surprising.

  10. #10Barendvanstaden2025-02-10 09:58

    Good day Nige, The Serial no. HRA02694 Thank you in advance, I am really starting to loose Hope,

  11. #11Nige2025-02-10 10:10

    Thank you. So the Test Spec for your engine is 0K6177. The engine is specififed to run at 2100 RPM Full Load. High Idle No Load 2310 RPM. Specifications at normal coolant temperature - 89 DegC. Oil pressure at Low Idle - Nominal 17psi, Minimum 11psi. Oil pressure at Full Load - Nominal 53psi, Minimum 36psi. Was low oil pressure the principal reason for the rebuild, or something else.?

  12. #12Barendvanstaden2025-02-11 00:36

    Good Morning Nige, Thank you so much for the trouble in searching the specs, I also got that from Sis, But the engine at 1910Rpm full load,(Engine Fitted on trailer with waterpump) Oil Pressure are 2.8bar(40.6PSI) The main reason for rebuild was Engine Breathing, But did not record the Oil pressure pre rebuild,

  13. #13Nige2025-02-11 09:26

    I was actually looking at another resource for the dyno test of the engine when it was originally manufactured in 2016. The oil pressures were 51psi at full load RPM (2100) and 20psi at Low Idle RPM (700).