Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpillar challenger 65 with 3306 low power and black smoke

fiat41b · 2016-09-05 20:24

Cat challenger I just purchased lately never drove it until yesterday always had someone else in the seat Well I know it don't have a front blade but it has tracks and pulls my 17yd icon scraper before that a farmer had just pulled a plow or disc. Its a 1990 early version but it only has 6000 hrs nice condition treads are worn from road travel but still working. i plan on installing a new set of tracks just the cheaper 3000 series Problem I'm having is it don't have any power don't have any real mechanical gauges just a bunch of lights that's how it came they all work the rpms have green light bars and it only gets two bars away from the maximum line which i don't really know how much rpm that is hopefully 2100 no load it wants to put out black smoke when accelerated and under load carries black smoke if i cut to deep in 1st it will stall out and kill the motor someone has been in the afr as the wire was cut and was missing a 1/4" bolt that held the cover on. there is a steal line going from the rear cover of the injection pump to the intake manifold i took the line loose fired up the engine tractor in park the line has air coming out but not much even at full throttle i did check the diaphragm in the pump on the afr it was good i also checked to make sure there was no restrictions in the intake and it has new filters. any ideas i know this should little challenger should go better than what its doing now. any help on this is very appreciated thank you i have never owned a challenger so i don't have any machine to compare its performance to.

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2016-09-05 22:08

    You have smoke so it's getting enough fuel. Did you look inside the turbo? either that or hook up a temporary boost gauge in the cab so you can see what the boost pressure is at full load. Report back and/or wait for the experts...

  2. #2Scrub Puller2016-09-05 22:54

    Yair . . . Talking out of place again as I don't know the soil, the scraper or the tractor but I would have thought a seventeen yard pan plenty big for a 65 . . . others probably shoot me down in flames. Cheers.

  3. #3Cmark2016-09-05 23:26

    As well as checking the turbo, other possibilities are; Fuel timing. Not sure if that model has an advance/retard unit on the FIP drive. Could be faulty. Parasitic load.

  4. #4Shimmy12016-09-06 00:45

    Does the scraper have a drop-center cutting edge? Without it, I doubt that 65 is going to be able to get it much over 3/4 full in tough ground. It's going to take you awhile to learn how to run it if you've never ran scraper before. I going to throw out a guess here, if you're maintaining a proper depth of cut to keep the tractor around 1400-1500 RPM, it should take you at least 150' to load. I'm sure I'm going to get nasty looks from some scraper hand, but that's how you roll with a Challenger on a pan. Long, shallow cuts are your friend. I can't begin to count how many borrow sites I've had to load half a load one way, turn around and load the rest because the site couldn't be any longer. Those are the times Scrub Puller's "rills" are your friend. No, you're right on. In one of Fiat's earlier threads I said it might do ok. A 9' wide, 15 yd³ would definitely be more preferable on a 65. My 18 yd Deere kicks my 95E's @ss sometimes.

  5. #5fiat41b2016-09-06 01:42

    I have had in the past 8 double barrels, paddle wheel and 2 d8'S pulling 20 yard pans sold all but 1 twin engine and still have the paddle wheel no big iron work right now for those heavy horses the coal mines are on the down side mostly pond work, but that's fun stuff. A few commercial projects so far this year 3hrs away I do also have a big bron 28yd dolly behind my d8 just finished installing sequence valves and hoses should be running it this coming week finally I wanted 65 and the pan so i could just drive them down the road to smaller projects and it has cold a/c lol. Yep its a little big but i can get descent load it has a new cutting edge with drop center i got the pan for 11,000 at auction was looking for a 14yd had no luck most are in the 20,000 range this one has ejector works nice. someone has broke the wire seal on the cover of the afr before i had this machine i don't know if the turned the screw or not

  6. #6fiat41b2016-09-06 01:53

    I wish i knew actual rpm's it just has green lights inside trimmed out boxes there is three boxes long box middle box and last box with a thicker line off to the lower right side i try to keep the lights running in the middle under load while traveling to dump zone. i have a boost gauge if i can get it hooked up as i said before not much air pressure coming out of the line from the manifold to the afr cover at high idle no load as i removed it from the afr cover probably needs to be connected do i tee into this line some how with boost gauge

  7. #7Scrub Puller2016-09-06 02:57

    Yair . . . Just curious. A question for Shimmy1 or others. I don't recall ever seeing mention of US scrapers fitted with teeth on those drop centres, do you folks ever use them? they were pretty much standard on Johnstone 621's and the early 627's and we had them on a 18yard Woolridge behind a D8 Cheers,

  8. #8Nige2016-09-06 04:03

    Possibly a dumb question but do you have an operator manual? Also post a Serial Number so that technical information can be found for it.

  9. #9CDUB2016-09-09 22:47

    Most paddle wagons have them around here. I usually have them off of my 615 because they seem to be more of a hindrance in gummy soil. I don't recall ever seeing an open bowl fitted with teeth.

  10. #10Scrub Puller2016-09-09 23:03

    Yair . . . Gotcha CDUB I have never heard it mentioned as far as I recall . . . they do help in dryish material especially if its a bit shaley/gravelly. Cheers.