Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

caterpillar d5g fuel problem

truecountry ยท 2017-02-28 19:54

cat d5g AGG00655 or AGG0655.... Its been a on going thing I learned today ..all equipment there on site is fueled from a 1000 gal tank into a 100 gal tank to equipment none of them have any problems at all..d5g fuel filters have been changed 3 times by foreman at job site...its always fueled up at ended of day and always messes up at 7 to 9 hours of running ...some times pushing dirt Sideways and up and down on inclines....I don't know if on flat ground yet I'm texting foreman now ... I haven't had time to check sis for screens in fuel lines or tank Or get trouble codes yet its a 3 hour one way ride to job site

Replies11
  1. #1truecountry2017-02-28 20:03

    ok it was on flat ground and just shut off and restarted and ran fine then started to stumble miss and no power.. I cant see 2 filter system getting that much trash in them new filters 3 times in 3 weeks ...no leakes at all and its random 2 no power times and 1 shutting down time then no power

  2. #2truecountry2017-02-28 20:52

    damn I just realize that wrong serial number ...sorry guys I'm stressed out

  3. #3rmllarue912017-02-28 22:03

    Hey true country how's it die slow stall or flick of a switch sounds like fuel **** solenoid to me Opps didn't read the last one in time get a fuel gauge in line and watch pressure one on suction side also that makes it sweet lol do fuel filters cure it ?

  4. #4rmllarue912017-02-28 22:08

    Might be fuel pickup have them keep it above 1/2 a tank see if it happens

  5. #5d9gdon2017-02-28 22:19

    They will trap trash in the elbow from the fuel tank to the incoming side of the filters. It's a common problem.

  6. #6Nige2017-03-01 03:42

    How long has the tractor been on that particular job site..? Personally if there is other equipment being fuelled from the same tanks then I fail to see how the refuelling process is the root cause of the problem. Has anyone tried draining the water/sediment from the fuel tank like they are supposed to do weekly..? Just for sh1ts & giggles..........

  7. #78k bill2017-03-01 06:51

    I seem to remember Bob Ont before he passed stating that the fuel pump sucks air through the seal when on a incline, worth a check. Bill

  8. #8truecountry2017-03-01 20:38

    Right on the money ...I pulled water and fuel filter assembly has primer on top of it so I took it a part and its was loaded with rust ,pine needles etc Cleaned it up and back to pushing dirt till I can get it back to shop and drain tank and see how bad it is inside

  9. #9truecountry2017-03-01 20:41

    I asked and was tolded yes but I did it today and its stopped up nothing came out ( I did it while they were working on silk fences ) so they don't know what I know now ......going to clean tank as soon as I get it back to shop

  10. #10truecountry2017-03-01 20:48

    Thanks Guys ...............

  11. #11d9gdon2017-03-01 22:18

    Shop vac! LOL