Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar d7f crawler any problems with them?

10hotrod16 ยท 2012-12-07 18:54

IS THE D7F A GOOD MACHINE? I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE ONE THAT HAS A REBUILT ENGINE, TRANS, AND FINAL DRIVES, FOR $25,000. DO THEY HAVE ANY DRAW-BACKS? I HEARD MAYBE THE TRANS WERE WEAK IN THEM, ANY IDEAS?:usa:usa:usa:usa

Replies22
  1. #1Oxbow2012-12-07 19:47

    I ran one in the 80's and can't recall any problems. With all that has been done to it it seems like a great deal if the under carriage is decent.

  2. #210hotrod162012-12-07 20:18

    Yes the u.c. Is in 95 percent, i just had heard horror stories about the trans in them, i didn't know if i needed to run away, or chance it. We had old d7's (1965) but havent heard if the trans give any problems with the high rev 6 cylinder, was going off of what an old operator told me, but isnt it the same tranny as the high horse 4 cylinder? Or did they change to the d6 tranny?

  3. #3Seabass2012-12-07 20:19

    Well, you wont need a laptop to work on them.

  4. #4Oxbow2012-12-07 20:21

    Sorry Hotrod, I don't know enough to know which transmission they had, or when they were updated.

  5. #5lowbed driver2012-12-07 20:22

    The first 7 I ran was an E model (1964-66 I think) and while I was a green horn the machine seemed well balanced and powerful. I then ran a 7F and it seemed to be better however I only used it as a spread cat building logging roads and the only dozing I did was pushing muck in a dredging operation. I only ran a 7G on/off of the lowbed but it seemed all right as well. Should be a good machine for the price. LB

  6. #610hotrod162012-12-07 20:22

    LOL ya i guess thats true, but it's alot of machine to work on, if it's a problem child.

  7. #710hotrod162012-12-07 20:25

    Thanks guys, I hope it will work hard for a while before it gives up.

  8. #8D6c10K2012-12-07 20:49

    The early D7F's had trans issues (up to around S/N 5,000 something) The problem was they used the trans from the D7E which was a low speed/high torque trans. The D7F used the 3306 engine is about double rpm and it wasn't suitable. From what I understand they switched to a version of the D6c trans which is a high speed/low torque setup. Fixed the problem. Other than that it should be a reliable machine....similar to the D6c in arrangement, just bigger.

  9. #910hotrod162012-12-08 11:12

    HEY GREAT, THANKS FOR THE INFO D6c10K, ILL CHECK THE SERIAL #

  10. #10Peter Kennedy2012-12-08 16:30

    I would be very careful with a 7F if it didn,t have the later heavier trans. That was the weakest point with that model. sorry but I didn.t like them at all.

  11. #11D6 Merv2012-12-09 00:05

    Earlier trans, if fact is bigger physically. Later trans is smaller physically. Later trans have a 2P tranmission serial number. Later trans came out at 94N5660. Last of the D7Fs were a good tractor most of the bugs were ironed out, but the bad name stuck. D7G came out in 74 to try and start a new 'look' D7Gs actually had a production run of best part of 20 years with the japanese built ones. they made them and D6Ds there alot longer than in the US.

  12. #1210hotrod162012-12-10 09:03

    The problem is, that the machine had been sand blasted, and the tags are un-readable, is there another way to find out what serial number that it is? Or an identifying mark somewhere to see if it is a early or late machine? All i know is that its a f model.

  13. #13D6c10K2012-12-10 09:14

    On back of the machine there should be a tag in the upper left hand corner of the flat face of the housing. If the tag is gone the number should be stamped in the same place where the tag was located. Might have to scrape paint to read the numbers. If it has a cabe unit or winch sometimes it's hard to see. There should also be tags attached to the dash...usually down near the floor plate, but as you say, they may not be readable.

  14. #1410hotrod162012-12-10 09:38

    Ok great!!!!!!!!!! Now on another note , anyone tell me how to determine the serial number on a john deere 1010? It has no tag anywhere.

  15. #15oldirt2012-12-10 11:11

    that transmission worked just fine- in a D6C. just sayin..

  16. #16D6 Merv2012-12-10 11:56

    Early transmission filled most of the space between the chassis rails. Later one has alot more room around it, as is alot smaller. Does the engine have a spin on oil filter or a cartridge type in a canister ? Early engine was D333C with cartrige. has early trans. Later ones with a 3306; and seperate engine serial number should be later, these had spin on oil filtr. However 3306 was fitted before the later trans came out, so this is not really a good id. Also may have had a engine transplant at some time. Should be a serial no tag ontop of transmission. Like i said earlier 2P series number is later trans. Got any pictures of machine, preferably trans ?? D7F was built 1969-1974. So like all of us are getting back abit. Depends alot on its 'life history'

  17. #17D6c10K2012-12-10 14:32

    On my 3020 the tag in on the back of the rear end near the PTO....usually covered in grease/dirt so you can't see it.

  18. #1810hotrod162012-12-10 17:08

    Ill get some more info and post pictures soon, so maybe we can figure it out, thanks guys for all the help, will be posting soon.

  19. #19Essayons2012-12-10 17:18

    We have two military 7F's, one with 3306 and one with D333C. Both are good machines, no real trouble. The 3306 is MUCH easier to start than the D333C on any given day, cold or otherwise. If you do buy it, as a bonus, i have full military service and parts manuals i'd be glad to email to you.

  20. #20Hoghart2025-01-11 00:15

    I have bought a military D7F. It is in transit to me now. 61G1239. If you still have access to the manuals, I would appreciate it if you could share them.

  21. #21skyking12025-01-11 00:43

    you would do better to send him a Private Message, rather than bump a 13 year old thread,

  22. #22Nige2025-01-11 02:42

    Send a PM to HEF member @LCA078 - I know he has a 61G machine and also has all the manuals, or at least the information to tell you where to download them from.