Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D7G serial # question..

outonit ยท 2014-05-02 12:25

Hi I cant seem to to dig up any info on this D7G Cat ser# 3GF00167 ... lookin for a year and any interesting tidbits about it...its ex military w an sblade n a cat winch. Its something I may purchase soon. apperantly it was used in or near salt water as its got a lot of rust, which is another question...when should you realistically start to be concerned about corrosion? Thanks all!

Replies8
  1. #1jctech0122014-05-02 12:39

    The formatting will probably be terrible This is the engine test data for your machine Engine Test [08Z45600] May 02, 2014 (08Z45600)-Engine (3GF00167)-Machine (2GA06065)-Transmission Sales Model: 3306 Built Date: 10May1988 Tested Date: 11May1988 Shipped Date: 12May1988 Tested: DD Plant: Mossville Test Number: 01 Cell Number: 22 Test Element Eng Updates Test Value Test Spec Value Label Spec Number 0T6823 0T6823 Arrangement Number 5R7956 5R7956 Corr Fl Power 221 218 HP HORSEPOWER Speed 2,000 2,000 RPM Revolutions per Minute COR FL FUEL RATE 11.6 11.6 GAL/HR Gallon per Hour CSFC 0.372 0.374 LB/HP-HR Adj Boost 25.1 24.8 IN HG Fuel Pressure 35 PSI Pounds per Square Inch Oil Pressure 63 58 PSI Pounds per Square Inch TQ COR FUEL RATE 10.0 GAL/HR TQ CK CSFC LB/HP-HR TQ CK ADJ BST IN HG Torq Ck Speed 1,401 1,400 RPM TQ CK COR TQ 707 687 LB.FT Low Idle Speed 758 750 RPM Low Idle Oil Pressure 24 21 PSI High Idle Speed 2,142 2,132 RPM Response Time FL Static Fuel Setting 0.049 0.049 IN Timing Dim FLS (INTRCPT) FTS (SLOPE) Advertised Power 200 hp Advertised Speed 2,000 RPM

  2. #2outonit2014-05-02 12:49

    Thankyou!

  3. #3Nige2014-05-02 12:59

    If you're worried about corrosion - post some photos if you have them.

  4. #4outonit2014-05-02 13:15

    That makes sense...Ill take/post some when I see it again later today.

  5. #5Nige2014-05-02 13:19

    Make a point of looking at chromed parts like hydraulic cylinder rods for evidence of small rusty pit marks.

  6. #6outonit2014-05-02 14:29

    Ok. Another Quest I had is that the 3306 is partially torn down..head off/pan off/one rod removed, I believe this was done for inspection purposes because of the potential rust prob, but everything looks good (except that the turbo is rusted and very light corrosion on stuff from sitting open) and most of the parts are all there. But I have access to a complete/strong 3306 from a D7F , I understand these are rated 20hp under the G's 3306...could I drop it in the G and go albeit with abit less power? would there be an issue with the tranny(#2GA6065) doing this or ...? The point being getting it in the dirt quickly with an engine I know is good. Apologies if these are dumb questions, Ive been around dozers abit but am a rookie fer sure...

  7. #7Nige2014-05-02 14:40

    What's quicker, put a rod back into the hole, button up the top and bottom ends, and press the button - or tear ot the whole unit and replace it with something that's not the same spec (despite it being the same model) with all the attendant potential issues. And I'm not just talking about something as apparently simple as 20 BHP.........

  8. #8outonit2014-05-02 15:55

    Your thoughts are much appreciated...Yes I believe that makes more sense, but I have a very limited window to aquire the F' engine and Ive yet to really see whats mia on the G (fuel pump might b mia), as it is a few ancillaries on the G could be alot more $ than I might get the entire F for...butt if the engine wont integrate without issues than that option is proly out, im not interested in building a problem child to save a few $, or end up spendin more..