Looking at buying a set of angle wrenches and my Cat parts guy says he can get me 13/16 to 1-1/4 for $200. But my question is are these still relabeled Snap-on's or did they find a new manufacturer?
That’s a smoking deal. What’s the part number of that set?
233-1636
Take it for what’s it’s worth, my Snap-On guy says the seven piece set above is Martin Tool and Forge products. Which also makes the Wright branded angle wrenches. Of, course Wright is a Snap-on company, so there is the connection. I believe they are a 15/30 degree.
Interesting. 2331636 consists of seven wrenches. You can also buy 2331635 which is also seven wrenches but the smaller sizes. There is also part number 1P3515 which is all 14 wrenches but a bit more expensive than the other two combined. I wonder if they are all snap-on or not. A couple of years ago I bought a 1272277 1-3/8 wrench and it arrived not as a Cat branded snap-on but as a genuine snap-on.
I bought my angle wrenches from eBay. Bought the 3/8-3/4 set and then pieced the rest together up to 2”. probably took a year to find them all. Still pretty expensive but nowhere near retail prices.
Snap on owns Williams, not Wright. Snap on is publicly traded, wright is still privately held.
Take the warranty promises with a small grain of salt. I recently broke the box end of a 15/16” CAT combination wrench probably made by Snap-On ( it’s identical to a Par X wrench). I think that in it’s day——about 40 years ago—- it would have similar warranty as Blue Point, which I think is 50%. Parts counter guy said it was no longer warrantied. I got my money’s worth out of it, but some help on a replacement would have been nice. I dug deep in my box at home and came up with a usable old wrench to put back in the service truck. Has anybody started a thread on how to deal with your tools when you finally retire and stop wrenching? I’ve been at it steady since the Navy sent me to Engineman school in 1962, and it’s almost time to quit saying yes to people who call me up saying “I’ve got a problem that my guy can’t figure out. Can you help him?”. If there is a thread somewhere, I’ll contribute to it or we can start with new .................
That 2331636 set is $360 here! How is that possible?
A cheap wrench and some torch work gets you 7 angle wrenches for $20.
Thanks Crane Operator, That’s what I meant to say. Cmark mentioned the 1P3515 14 piece set. I think that set is the re-branded Snap-On that falls under the Cat premium line. A younger fella I work,with on occasion, just purchased that set from NC Machinery and it’s obviously Snap-On with the 30/60 angles.
I ordered them from my local dealer, they should be at my drop box in the morning. So I'll soon find out if theyre the 30/60 like I want or the 15/60.
I can't answer that without getting in trouble and offending feelings but I used to live very close to the Canadian border and people came down all the time to buy things here even with a very weak Canadian dollar.
In the last few years i have tried to control my spending on tools it dosent always work. I have bought alot of open end wrenches for $2.00 or less . This is some of them i like to find 2 of the same brand but it dosent always happen. I know alot of guys dont have the time and some would not be dream of using something like this but it works for me.
Update: they are exactly rebranded snap on's 30/60, same length even same font. Only issue is the set skips 1-3/16 so I have to buy that from snap on
I've done this too out of need to get it done now but they usually end up twisting bending or something else when I really start pulling on them with my wrench extender or hitting them with a hammer.
Cat hand tools with some rather minor exceptions are all Snap On family. these wrenches are all Snap On just with Cat rollmark.
Ordered the 233-1635 for 147.59cdn 233-1636 for 283.31 cdn Be here in a week
Cat hand tools were made by Snap-On but recently (10 yrs?) some tools of a different design have been have been coming in. Made by Snap-On to a lesser specification or by someone else, who knows? compare and contrast:
The rumor is most cat tools are rebranded williams, bought by snap on; think proto to mac, with a few being actual snap on rebarnds, which I think these wrenches are. Now as to the quality control and all that I can't speak too.
The ratchets in the picture- the bottom one is a rebranded williams s-52/53 superratchet. The other ones are rebranded williams/ old snap on style/ ratchets, with a lower tooth count than the new snap ratchets. I personally like the williams stuff. I just bought two of their screwdriver sets for my girls tool sets I'm giving them for Christmas. They have the old square black hard handles that snap on used to use. USA made and not a bad price - I think they were around $55. https://www.amazon.com/Williams-100P-8MD-8-Piece-Premium-Screwdriver/dp/B002NH5F30?th=1
We've always looked at the Cat tools and shop equipment like buying from Mcmaster Carr. Not quite sure what brand you'll be getting but it'll be something decent.
These are my only Cat tools. They are not Snap-on. They look a lot like my Proto wrenches that I bought in the 1980's. I acquired them in the mid to late 1990's.
Several years ago I ordered 4 slugging wrenches from Snap On and I got 2 snap On and 2 Williams. The dealer said we own Williams now. Dealer said Williams had always made those for Snap On and gave me a Williams catalog. These wrenches are the same as Williams metrics and their shiny ** wrenches are the same as the ones Cmark showed. My son worked for Cat and when they replaced some of his wrenches he got Snap on in cat bags with Cat part numbers. So I guess what you get from Cat depends on what they get. Bob
Those certainly do look like proto wrenches. I like their beams, thick and kind of rounded, you can lean on them. Looks like the open ends have seen some use also.