Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar IT 18B water leak

sunshine320d · 2024-10-07 20:36

I’ve a caterpillar IT18B with a water leak between the front housing and head, the engine is only after being rebuilt and I was left with the task of putting it back in (wasn’t me removed it) the leak is at a big sealing ring between the front housing and head, the seal seems to be just dropped into the space there doesn’t seem to be anything to clap it or anything to hold it in place, can anyone tell me what way the seal is ment to be held in so to withstand pressure build up..?? I’m guessing a jubilee clip of some sort around it but the seal I have is just rubber and has no inserts or anything so will just collaps if I tighten it up, There’s a picture of the location.

Replies5
  1. #1Cmark2024-10-08 02:29

    As you suspected, there's 3 parts to it. Clamp, seal and ferrule.

  2. #2sunshine320d2024-10-08 03:31

    Ahh perfect exactly what I was thinking but couldn’t find a drawing to show this thank you..!!

  3. #3sunshine320d2024-10-08 08:36

    Would you know by any chance is the stopper on these machines electronic and stops with the key or is it air operated or something, I got it started and running but couldn’t get it stopped.!! Possibly pull back feature on the throttle or something..??

  4. #4Nige2024-10-08 08:50

    Correct: From the manual - "Pull the accelerator pedal back past the detent to stop the engine." If you want any schematics, etc, you're welcome to them. Just post a Serial Number.

  5. #5sunshine320d2024-10-08 09:08

    Ahh that’s great thanks very much I might come back to you on that if I’ve further issues, thanks very much.