Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar IT28B fuel issues

Robert Driotez ยท 2018-03-05 21:11

Hello, Im new here. I am trying to figure out an issue on a Cat IT28B with a 3204 DI engine. Problem is it cranks, starts, runs for 5 to 10 second then dies. Been sitting a year. Has new transfer pump and hand priming pump. I do not see a check valve on the return line to tank. I have fuel to my nozzle but in spurts. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632018-03-06 07:16

    You should probably replace the fuel in the tank. If it sat for a year, there was some amount of water in the tank that got sucked into your fuel system as soon as you tried to start it. Replace the filters and reprime the fuel system with good clean fuel. See if the problem still persists at that point.

  2. #2Mobiltech2018-03-06 13:32

    Sounds like maybe a suction line leak or a leak at the primary fuel screen. Or possible stuck injector pushing air back to pump.

  3. #3Robert Driotez2018-03-06 17:03

    I've checked the primary fuel screen for leaks found none. I've used the hand primer on Cats before, now I don't know if I've never paid enough attention, but when I use this one I can hear a lot of air being pushed out. It sound like it's coming from the side of the high pressure pump up against the engine.

  4. #4Delmer2018-03-06 18:05

    Sometimes it's easiest to hook up temporary rubber hoses and a temporary tank. Don't bypass the filter, just the tank. Also check the fuel return line for air bubbles when it's running.