Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Model 42 Elevating grader, just curious about something

PatBurnsEnt · 2015-02-26 23:52

Cat is running a commercial on TV where the Model 42 Elevating Grader is featured. I would like to know what the round disk on the front is used for. I've seem the same feature on other models too. It looks like some kind of antenna or aiming device. It is directly opposite the steering wheel. Here is a link to the commercial on youtube. http://youtu.be/Za734QEW3W8 If the link is missing, search for BUILT FOR IT™ on YouTube. Thanks for your time.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies25
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-02-27 00:58

    Yair . . . PatBurnsEnt . I missed it on the video but I believe in the days of elevating graders "antenna's or aiming devices" in the form of discs had yet to be invented. Those machines used a large disk perhaps four feet in diameter to turn the soil onto the conveyor, perhaps its a spare bolted up there somewhere as I remember doing a few on a "Domore" on a Cat 12. Welcome to the forums by the way . . . and ask lots of questions lots of good info here. Cheers.

  2. #2mitch5042015-02-27 01:32

    Yeah, I saw it on the video, scrub pullers got it. I guess we'll let him come back another day. Nice video, by the way, and welcome to the forums.

  3. #3Graderfan19812015-02-27 06:37

    I have find a good video from a pulled Caterpillar elevating grader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4RFCatWaU

  4. #4Super Roel2015-02-27 07:00

    I have two pictures of a Cat no.12 with a Domor elevating grader .

  5. #5Queenslander2015-02-27 07:07

    I believe I was at this field day at the show grounds at Toowoomba Qld. in about 2006. Cheers, Greg

  6. #6PatBurnsEnt2015-02-27 08:44

    Thanks, Graderfan1981, And the video clearly shows the dark gray disk shape on the front of the machine, What was the purpose of that device. There seems to be a shaft extending back from the disk. Could it be used to adjust the height of the blade? Or maybe the driver was watching Direct TV? Thanks for your comments.

  7. #7Scrub Puller2015-02-27 09:09

    Yair . . . PatBurnsEnt . That "shaft" I think is part of the angle frame and as mentioned up thread I believe it is a spare disk . . . no such thing as TV in those days. Of more interest to me . . . does anyone know anything about that tractor with the V8 engine? The Domores were very effective at building table drains and throwing up a formation . . . for folks who are unfamiliar with the concept notice how the power is taken from the front of the crankshaft . . . all mechanical, no hydraulics back then. Thanks for the pictures Super Roel , brings back memories. Cheers.

  8. #8Tinkerer2015-02-27 15:29

    Check this video out Scrub Puller. It looks to me it is the same tractor. What do think ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5l4edbmUg0

  9. #9Queenslander2015-02-27 16:38

    From memory, it belonged to local Toowoomba contractor, original motor had a major coronary, so they transplanted this D17000? from a genset. Around 200hp I thought, but very neat conversion. I reckon you would still see it around the Downs at days like the Jondaryan Heritage Festival. Cheers, Greg

  10. #10old-iron-habit2015-02-27 16:42

    There is a beautifully reconditioned D8 with the D17000 in it that has been on some of the other BBs recently. I'm thinking it might be in Europe or maybe down under. Maybe TC or one of the anti gravity guys will chime in. With the bottom newly painted I wonder if this is the one without all the tin on.

  11. #11Queenslander2015-02-27 17:41

    Ha Ha, good one oih I would say the tractors in these two clips are the same machine. Cheers, Greg

  12. #12Radrock2015-02-27 19:44

    Here is a screen shot picture of the elevated grader. At least you can stare at it for a moment.

  13. #13Radrock2015-02-27 19:46

    Oh and by the way. Just an assumption but I'd say they just carry that disk for certain types of use like on that picture of the motor grader??

  14. #14PatBurnsEnt2015-02-27 21:32

    I may have found the answer Well guys, Ive been doing my own research and I came across this short video which appears to solve the mystery of what that disk is used for. http://youtu.be/eYrvxtBOQHw Pause the video at the very end and see what I mean.

  15. #15Scrub Puller2015-02-27 22:12

    Yair . . . Can you talk me through it PatBurnsEnt . . . I can't see anything conclusive on that video. Cheers

  16. #16Queenslander2015-02-27 23:45

    So it is a communication device after all, just uses percussion technology rather than electronic. Cheers, Greg

  17. #17Scrub Puller2015-02-27 23:53

    Yair . . . just got the video to play properly . . . what a ball tearer . . . good one PatBurnsEnt (Big grin) Cheers.

  18. #18mitch5042015-02-28 01:50

    Aah, so that's why there's a rope running to it in the first video! Thanks for proving us all wrong! Seriously, thanks for coming back and sharing what you learned. Mitch

  19. #19Radrock2015-02-28 11:33

    Just a horn hahaha. Sounds like it works.

  20. #20Super Roel2015-02-28 14:40

    It is also on the 48 .

  21. #21cuttin edge2015-02-28 16:34

    I think you can hear him hit the horn/bell twice before the 8 starts to haul him.

  22. #22DonBC2015-03-02 20:07

    I knew as soon as someone started commenting on that disk as to what it was for. It was a what the grader operator used to communicate with the cat operator with the number of rings to signal start, stop, faster, slower, etc. That was what they used to build the roads where I lived when I was a kid. They use to pull it with a Cat 60 and then they upgraded to a D8. They also used a Cat 60 on a cable scraper to fill in the ditch at driveways and it probably pulled a grader with it at one time. They had a Cat #12 grader when I first was aware of the equipment.

  23. #23Queenslander2015-03-07 16:37

    This might be the tractor you've seen OIH, it is from Victoria, Aust. The other one in the tube clips is from up here in sunny Qld. Cheers, Greg

  24. #24old-iron-habit2015-03-07 17:11

    That's it Thats it with the polished up valve covers. What a neat project. Thanks for posting.

  25. #25Graderfan19812015-03-08 17:22

    I have find another picture of the elevating grader: https://www.flickr.com/photos/85090026@N06/7876538610 And here the one from Russell: https://www.flickr.com/photos/doncampbellmodels/256925369