Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Parts catalog question

edgephoto ยท 2019-08-15 21:51

Forgive me for asking something that many of you may know but I have search here and online and can't seem to find an answer. I am putting together a list of parts I need to do all the maintenance and some repairs to my new to me cat 426 backhoe. I bought the parts manual as a PDF from Cat and am a bit confused on one thing. In the maintenance section they list two different part numbers for oil filter. One has a description of "AS" next to it. What does the "AS" stand for or denote? While I look at other items they use "GP" next to some descriptions. What does "GP" denote? Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2019-08-15 22:10

    7W2327 is the spin on engine oil filter, at least on my 3. 4T7948 is the spin on hydraulic filter.

  2. #2heymccall2019-08-15 22:20

    119-4740 is transmission filter for either style transmission. The "AS" is for "assembly", like the air filter has element AS listed.

  3. #3Theweldor2019-08-15 22:24

    I am pretty sure AS - Stands for assembly. GP- general purpose.

  4. #4DB22019-08-15 22:33

    I always thought GP was group

  5. #5Theweldor2019-08-15 22:36

    I believe you are correct. My bad LoL

  6. #6DB22019-08-15 22:40

    GP definitely denotes general purpose when relating to buckets. In Cat parts though I guess it could be either depending on what part (no pun intended) of the machine you are working on.

  7. #7edgephoto2019-08-15 23:04

    Thanks so much. GP=Group and AS=assembly. This is excellent. I was drawing a blank. Now it seems so silly that I even had to ask.

  8. #8sled dog2019-08-16 06:18

    Never be sorry for asking. It's how we all learn.