Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Reference Books

Northart ยท 2008-01-21 01:25

I have a small library of Construction Books. I thought I'd share Titles ,with the HEF readers in search, of some good reference books. Some are out of print, found sometimes on Ebay, Amazon.com, internet bookstores,etc. Some are available from Caterpillar dealers.:usa

Replies15
  1. #1Northart2008-01-21 01:29

    More Reference Books 2 Part 2

  2. #2Northart2008-01-21 01:36

    More Reference Books 3 Part 3 The Caterpillar Performance Handbooks been published since 1970. New editions every year. 37th edition is out, 38th coming due.

  3. #3Northart2008-01-21 01:41

    More Reference Books 4 Part 4

  4. #4Northart2008-01-21 01:48

    More Reference Books 5 Part 5 Caterpillar Roots is the Early formation years . Caterpillar Serial /Product ID is from the dealer, Form# SEBF 9451.

  5. #5DPete2008-01-21 10:54

    Nice collection you have there

  6. #6xcavate772008-01-21 19:55

    very impressive, do you find alot of different info in the various books or is a lot of it overlapping?

  7. #7Northart2008-01-21 22:51

    Contents ? Hello Xcavate77, They are all good books. Some cover certain subject matter in greater detail, or should I say focus. The one by GT Barnard of South Africa has great detailed information on the specifications and serial numbers. Other have pictures and story about developement and prototypes. Construction heavy equipment reference books like these are not found at public libraries. And even at bookstores, titles like these are no longer carried. So, it's word of mouth, internet surfing, magazine articles ,trade publications, etc, where I find them nowadays. Hope somebody finds them of interest.

  8. #8NW Crawler2008-01-22 14:05

    I've got a performance handbook edition 9 and an edition 17 (hydraulic excavators) up for auction on ebay right now. I like the Caterpillar Century book, a lot of good info.

  9. #9tctractors2008-01-23 15:39

    Good reading. Northart that is a great little collection of fire side reading, the Endless Tracks in the Woods being my top read, I have a massive collection myself of parts /opps/workshop manuals from the CAT/Best 60 to the D10,also most of the excavators graders scrapers and so on, my wife tells me every week to sell the " Dam Things" but I am finding it sort of hard to do, I also have some real rare items that have been gifted to me by good friends that are sadly now working for the Hell of it ( I would not think they made it to Heaven) when is the right time to pass them on ???? tctractors

  10. #10Northart2008-01-23 16:27

    Valuable Books ? Hello TcTractors, Been a long time since I seen you. How's life in England ? Yes, I just have no answer for leaving material goods onto others. Our local library threw out some perfectly good books, I found in the dump many years ago. To make way for some "other" books of "current fad". After that I always wondered, about ????? Seems like the best thing to do,:beatsme is sell them to very interested parties.

  11. #11NW Crawler2008-01-23 18:28

    I've been selling my collection of Service Manuals and parts manuals on ebay. The service manuals and the performance handbooks sell the best. The service manuals usually go for $100+

  12. #12NW Crawler2008-01-28 23:29

    Northart, I just say "50 years on tracks" go for $200 on ebay. I bought my copy 2 months ago for $14. My copy of the performance handbook #17 only went for $9.99 with one bidder and 2 weeks before the same book went for $72 with a bunch of bidders. Win some lose some I guess.

  13. #13Eric2008-01-28 23:56

    What info is in the Cat reference guides?? Never seen them before, very interested.

  14. #14CAT245ME2008-02-01 21:01

    I have a small collection of heavy equipment books my self, mostly what I have purchased from chapters. But I havent seen any more books on equipment in chapters for almost two years. I figure they were tired of me coming in and reading there books most of the afternoon and then putting them back on the shelf.

  15. #15NW Crawler2008-02-04 00:17

    Eric, the CAT performance handbooks have the specs on a variety of machines. They come out with a new handbook every year.