I cannot find a serial number guide for Caterpillar. Any suggestions? I want to know what the year model is of a D6D serial # 4X2592.
Try this .......... http://www.ironrecord.com/index.php 1978 according to the book.
Thanks, Nige I cannot find it online anywhere. Looks like all Cat serial number stuff is on pay sites. Looks like I need to put a 0 in front of it.
Not sure how it is stamped on the plate fixed to your machine, but to enter into Cat's systems the Serial Number should be a total of 8 digits. The first 3 are the prefix - 04X in your case, and the next 5 are the machine Serial Number. If there are only 4 digits then put a zero before the first one. So your complete Serial Number as per today's standard is 04X02592.
Thanks Nige The plate has no zero before the "4" nor the "2". Why doesn't Caterpillar give this info away like everybody else?
Back in the mists of time, about the time JC was a carpenter and the world was a sunnier, happier place - things were different. There weren't as many models for a start and it was usually unecessary to go to the extent of a 5-figure Serial Number, up to 9999 machines of a given model was fine. But at that time no-one had figured they were going to turn out on-highway truck engines by the tens of thousands. The same thing applied to the prefix, but then after years of 2U, 4X, etc, all of a sardine they ran out of prefixes and had to add a 3rd digit to them. Now we have things like B9H, RJG, 2BW, & SPD as prefixes and they haven't even got warmed up yet... About the same time off-highway machinery was included into the International System of Vehicle Identification Numbers or VIN, so now we have a 17-digit plate just like you'd see on your car, although in Cat's case it's called a P(roduct)IN plate. This happened in 2001. For those of us who know we can still pick our way through the crap and at least reduce that to an 8-digit Serial Number ..............
Now I see.
You can call any Cat dealer parts counter and get the year info.
Rather useless info but here it is D6D TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR Machine Serial Number - 04X02592 (Build Date - 09/02/1978)
Thanks, Greg
Caterpillar serial number/ year model I cannot find a what year model is a 320C serial# CAT0320CLAMC01091
Build Date 4th October 2002.
engine cat C13 LGK11437 please help me engine model C13 s/n LGK11437
hi, build date 07/05/2008 ( Australian date stamp day ,month, year) test date 19/05/2008 industrial engine 328 kw at 2100rpm ,2010 nm of torque at 1400 rpm Mark
engine CAT thanks Mark, please help me again year built for model C13 s/n RRA06070
hi, industrial engine, build date 09/05/2013 test date 14/05/2013 328 kW @ 2100rpm 2010 Nm of torque at 1400rpm Mark
When and why did CAT officially introduce truck engines? JC was a carpenter?
Caterpillar serial numbers Hi, Im also facing a similar predicament. I have a CAT D6D Dozer Engine 3306. It has the following numbers which amongst these I am not sure which is a serial number/Engine number since the descriptions are not visible 1. 20X 1449 Could this be the SN and hence supposed to read 20X 01449? 2. 49V 15827 There is something like A... Could this be the Arrangement number or the Engine Serial Number rather? 3. Transmission is 7G4244E 3. Which year was it built? The other machine is a CAT TLB, Model: 438 There are three numbers: 1. 3DJ 01290 2. U423274U 3. J90 8986 Does not show clearly which amongst these numbers are Engine/SN/Chassis, etc I have been cracking my head through the internet but I haven't managed Thanks so much for your help Geoffrey
D6D build date 18/08/1978 machine serial number 20x01449 engine serial number 49V15827 438 backhoe build date 17/09/1990 machine serial number 3DJ01290 engine serial number 00423274 transmission and driveline J0908986 Mark
Hi Mark, Thanks so much for the effort. Makes sense coz I am now managing with the parts
Looking for a year on a d69u the serial number is 8306 also looking to find a manual for at any help would be apprieciated
Take a look at this thread: http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/64-medium-heavy-duty/24568-cat-1693-specs-story-them.html
Your 9U series D6 is a 1951 model wide gauge. All Cat track type machines year of manufacture from 1925 to 1960 are available in a book form from the Antique Caterpillar Machine Owners Club (ACMOC) online store for about $20.00. Book is called Track-Type Machines, 1925 to 1960 Serial Number Reference Manual.
Okay here's a SNplate question for yall. Where is the serial plate located on a Cat 740 Off Road Truck? And do they have the ridiculously long prefix that Cat sometimes does by putting the model number, etc. and then actually add the serial number at the end? The one I'm going to be looking at soon is supposed to be serial number AXM01819. Is it safe to say it may be CAT0740XAXM01819 or something like that or were they merciful to us one their truck numbers? And any help with the plate location will be appreciated.
The long version is the VIN, the legal identifier if you like. The last eight places are the Cat serial number which is the only meaningful part we can use to work with the parts and service system. So AXM01819 is a good serial number for a 740. The plate is on the left hand side of the lower front frame near the articulation joint.
Thank for the info CMark!
Hello Mark Can you help me? I need building year for a Tesab Crusher rk 1012t with cat engine The serial number is 07 1262 848 Thank you
Can't help you with your crusher serial number but if you can get the serial number off the engine we can probably tell you the year, and if it's the original engine, that should give an indication of the age of the crusher.
Thank you very much for the response. This is the serial number of the engine C13*LGK20800*241-3804 Can I anyone hire to get the building year for the crusher? If you can give me this information it will be good. Thank you in advance.
Well this is what SIS says about that S/N C13 INDUSTRIAL ENGINE Engine Serial Number - LGK20800 (Build Date - 13/10/2010, Test Date - 19/10/2010, Ship Date - unknown)
Thank you my friend. Can I ever get this information officially? I need it. Best regards,
Best thing I could suggest would be to contact the nearest Cat Dealer with the LGK20800 S/N and see if they can provide you some "official" documentation. I could print out the complete page from SIS showing that info but if you need something "Official" like you could take to court I'm thinking something from Cat on their letter had would be more "Official".
Hello Mark, We have a list of CAT engines to find out the manufacturing date, where can we get the information, the SIS will work? can you please help us on this, thanks. Make Model Serial# CATERPILLAR C12 BDL03788 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04867 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04882 CATERPILLAR C6.6 66601006 CATERPILLAR C6.6 66601005 CATERPILLAR C6.6 66601239 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01649 CATERPILLAR C6.6 66601237 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04879 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04880 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04900 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12772 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12703 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12710 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12871 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12835 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12904 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04964 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01495 CATERPILLAR C15 P1Z00213 CATERPILLAR C15 P1Z00200 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12911 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1DZ12875 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00272 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02017 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02018 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02021 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02004 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02025 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02026 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02028 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02029 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG03455 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG03466 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01182 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01179 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01202 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01201 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01185 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01180 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01183 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01192 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01190 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01191 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01178 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01290 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01296 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01299 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01289 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01450 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01440 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01425 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00354 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01673 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01674 CATERPILLAR D399 35B05496 CATERPILLAR 3406A 90U16360 CATERPILLAR 3406A 90U16410 CATERPILLAR 3406A 90U09860 CATERPILLAR 3406A 90U09895 CATERPILLAR D399 35B6345 CATERPILLAR D399 35B3055 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00464 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04205 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00693 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00668 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00672 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00673 CATERPILLAR 3412C BPG00389 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04221 CATERPILLAR 3406A 23604 CATERPILLAR 3412C 3FZ04971 CATERPILLAR C12 BDL02325 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG01491 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG01494 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00489 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00972 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01154 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01151 CATERPILLAR C15 FTH06289 CATERPILLAR D399 35B03853 CATERPILLAR D399 35B1471 CATERPILLAR 3406B 2WB10870 CATERPILLAR 3406A 90U15557 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00944 CATERPILLAR 3408A 67U6741 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW01319 CATERPILLAR 3456 7WG04118 CATERPILLAR 3456 3PG02024 & ARR 237-9567 CATERPILLAR C13 LGK01027 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00266 CATERPILLAR 3512B 4AW00252 CATERPILLAR 3406C 1LS00527
If you can get access to SIS you should be able to get build dates for most if not all of those engines.
Hello Kshansen, So which thread we can go through to get the build date then?
Why would anyone need that kind of information on that many engines?
Inspection is on going for our company, they required such information, but can't find them on engine nameplate. and from SIS, don't know which option will give the information.
If you do have access to SIS it should be easy. Assuming your SIS page looks like mine below in the box I colored red enter your S/N then click on the "As shipped product" line that I have circled in green. That should take you to a page not only with the date the engine was built but a list of the components it was assembled from.
You didn't answer the question. Any Cat dealer with a customer that size would be more than happy to provide that kind of information, particularly when the serial numbers are already provided.
Well as the poster is listed as being in Algeria I'm not sure how good of a "local" Cat dealer he might have. Plus I figure if he does have access to SIS it would be to his advantage to learn some of the easy things that are available to him in that program. Plus if he is anything like me I would rather know how to find the information on my own. Same as looking up part numbers, if someone is going to make a mistake I would want it to be me and not get caught in the finger pointing blame game.
thanks for all you guys support, we had some guy here have access to SIS, and need to ask a favour from him to let us check them out, so personaly i dont have access to it, tomorrow will ask him to let me use it and find the list out, appreciated for all your help.
Oops, that didn't come out right when I read it again. My comment was to the original poster who didn't answer my question. kshansen provided a perfect response. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No problem, that is one of the good things about "quoting" the message that you are replying to, saves most misunderstandings. And to add to that it is always a good idea to start a new "thread" when asking a question in place of what I call piggy backing on another person's question, even if it is of a similar nature. Again cuts down on the confusion.
Glad we can be of some help! While you are here why not start a new thread with some information on the project you are working on, we always like to hear about projects in other areas of the world.
Can anyone find the year of D9H with the s/n 90V3638?
1976 according to a little booklet I have.
Thanks
can some one give me some insight, I am trying to figure out what year my D8 is Serial # 14a970.
Use this site for Cat serial #'s start by selecting machine type then on from there http://ironrecord.com/ Only goes back to D8H though, still a good site for 60's forward
mine is not listed there, i think its from the 50's
It only goes back to a 36A in the D8 line. My serial number book on goes back to SN 1694 and it appears they were 13A up till 1955. I'd have to guess yours is 1956 or 1957.
Your machine was built in 1955 according to the book 'Track Type Machines, 1925 to 1960'. In 1955 the serial numbers run from 14A 1 to 14A 2529, the first year of production for the 14As. The book is available for about $20.00 from the ACMOC store on the Antique Caterpillars Machinery Owners Club home page. It covers all the Cats Crawlers starting from when Best and Holt merged to form Cat in 1925 to thru 1960.
In 1955 there was both 13A and 14A D8s built. 13A serial numbers ended with 13A 3703.
Looking for the serial number on D3 I just picked up. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi as you haven't given a model I will assume oval track machine here is generic location
Nigel, I have an older Cat 235 # 32K03026. I looked it upon the iron record site, but the serial numbers they have for the years stop short of mine. Thanks for your help, Mike.
Sometimes Iron Record doesn't have complete information, this is one of those times. Date of manufacture 15/11/1980.
I just bought a piece of property that has an old Catepillar D4 tack dozer sitting on it. The plate on the left side has the following on it: 7U42192. I would love to know more about it. The Iron Record website boggled my brain.
My serial number guide shows it as being a 1958 model. My book shows the 7U models being made from 1948 up until 1960 when they went to a D4C.
You are correct in that 7U42192 would have been built in early 1958. The 7U series started in 1947 with 1947 units being built in Peoria that year. The 7U stopped during the 1959 year. The D4C series started in 1959 with 409 units built in the Aurora plant in both narrow and wide gauge. Scotland and Australia started producing D4Cs in 1960 and France in 1961.
Thank you both. The tracks are in really good shape. There is some rust on the body, but nothing major. I know this was running 16 years ago, but it has been sitting for the last 16 years. If it runs again, any idea what it might be worth? Or where I can go to find out? Or who might even want it?
I would suggest that you register on the ACMOC forum and post the same questions http://www.acmoc.org/bb/ Those guys are the experts on older Cat machinery such as your D4
You got great advice from Nige about the ACMOC site. We have members up in your neck of the woods and you may be able to get some help evaluating and starting it. If not stuck they normally start with a little prep work. If the steering clutches and or brakes are froze up they can be a bear at times. Yours is a late 7U. Does it have the forward reverser, and oil master clutch. You can tell if it is a oil clutch by the dipstick in the platform floorboards. Wish you were closer, they are fun machines. The machines do not command a ton of money, no one uses them for commercial work, not for years now, but it could be a desirable collector machine. Don't scrap it. See you at the ACMOC site.
Just for curiosity, is there a way to look up antiques? We have an old grader 4A1754 that we still use from time to time.
What make and model? A lot of the antique stuff can be looked up here; https://www.acmoc.org It's a great place for all the old stuff.
Don't have a listing for a 4Axxxx Cat grader. Are you sure the A isn't a K? 1938-1940 Tandem Drive, gas engine same as used in the R4 tractor.
No, this is out of the '20s an old pull type
It's a Cat the serial #plate just says grader there's a patent list plate which has a list of patents from 1918 my grandad bought it , and I've always just wondered about it.
.
If you go to the ACMOC site you can look at the posts without a log in. Look for any post from criscokid. At the signature on the bottom of every one of every one of his posts he has a link to his antique grader registry. It has tons of pictures and build dates of most of the old Caterpillar and Russel pull graders and antique power Cat graders as well.
You still have the book? I have been looking for one of them but so far all I find is myself coming back to here so I'll ask. I'm looking for the years of three D4 955 track loaders 12A3563 w/D315, 12A4040, w/ D315 and 12A8263 w/ 1.5 yd. hard rock side dump bucket and D315, D318 or D330 not sure. on one pony engine head casting date was U UO AC (1-18-57) was sold as a 1958 witch sounds about right. Don't know the year of 12A4040 but the 12A8263 I was told is a 1961. I would like to confirm my assumptions.
I do still have the book, but unfortunately it's about 5000 miles away from my current location and I'm not planning to be back there for about 3 months or so. I assume that you need answers before that....... A few others also have it, let's hope one of them sees your thread.
My book lists your machines and 955C models. 12A3563 is is model year 1957, 12A4040 is a 1958 model year and 12A8263 is a 955E model built in 1960. I don't have access to Cat information so can't give anything on the engines.
Nige replied: I do still have the book, but unfortunately it's about 5000 miles away from my current location and I'm not planning to be back there for about 3 months or so. I assume that you need answers before that....... A few others also have it, let's hope one of them sees your thread. ________________________________________________ Well I went over to see if I could get one (12A4040) of the old girls to move but she was frozen into the ground tighter than Dick's hatband. We tried to heat up one corner with a space heater and hitting it with a new 22 ton Hyd jack and a splitting mull but she ain't moving until spring. It has been subzero temperatures for about a month now and the ice is as hard as steel. When water freezes it expands 4.5% and there is nothing in this universe that can stop that expiation - except of course Spring time. No I'm in any rush to get the info, I can go off the casting dates for now that will at least keep me within at least a half a decade.
O' I see your response now John C. thanks a lot that's what I was thinking. The guy I got the -3563 (57) and -8263 (60) had got them from his uncle which I later found (from notes in manuals) also owned -4040 (58) as well and when he sold it off he must have gotten the years mixed up. I can see this can get out of hand quickly if'n ya don't keep good notes and thousands of tagged parts on these three Traxcavators. A lesson I have noted, marked, enumerated, categorized, classified and filed - O' God, I hope that's enough.
Would you be able to tell me the year of SN: 27Y01673? CAT D3B Dozer? I'm looking for a good source for a pdf owners or service manual as well. Are the ones from ebay worthwhile? Thank you.
It's a 1983 model year. Someone should be along soon to tell you about internet sources of manuals.
The Cat Publication reference for the correct Service Manual for 27Y01673 is SENR7911. That will help you search the auction sites and other online marketplaces. Another thing you need to know is price. A new paper version sells for $550, the same thing on CD for $300. Online sellers know this and are therefore proud of what they are selling even though it is used. The critical question to ask any online seller - "Is the manual you are selling manual complete.?" If they don't know or evade the question then personally I would walk away. Something like the one in this link is obviously not a genuine one. Is it any good or not..? I'm sorry I have no idea but I would be suspicious when I read the disclaimer at the bottom of the photo that shows the manual. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-CATERP...R-CRAWLER-BOOK-REPAIR-SHOP-3204-/132521907131
Build date 19/04/1982
Did you mean 1983 instead of 1982? 1983 started at 27Y01652.
Build date is not the same thing as model year.
I know that but it seems odd a 1983 model would sit around since April 1982. Built in Sep. or later 1982 would make more sense. That's why I posed the question.
A build date in September means it likely never got a dealer until June of 1983 and sold till later in the year.
Unless the system is wrong with dates ..... Smaller machines are often shipped to dealers and sit in their stock for months if not years before being sold. Looking at the build spec it contains nothing special in the way of attachments that would indicate it was a dealer order against a specifc customer requirement, so I think the chances are that it was built as a "dealer stock" machine. And seeing as 27Y01652 was mentioned ..... DOB 7th April 1982.
Wow, those are early builds. I see in my serial number book there were quite a bit more 1983 models than 1982 models. Do you have the info on when 27Y01651 (last 82) was built? I wonder if something was improved for the 83 models?
Keep in mind that these machines were built in Japan.
Same date as 27Y01652, 7th April 1982.
Must be built in Japan waiting for orders in the N. America. Would they have certain times of the year they dedicate to building specific machines?
I'm brand new to this stuff. What exactly is SIS? Thanks!
Hah! I have that exact question too!
Showoff! Thank goodness you're on our side. I have noticed when you speak others listen - if their smart. Thanks Nige and stay safe
Thank you so much!
I found the "SIS" page on the Cat website. Parts.cat.com I tried registering for an account yesterday, but it would not let me "acknowledge" and "accept" the terms and conditions. I emailed CAT and explained the problem, figuring it was on my end. However this morning I had an email saying their IT people found the problem and fixed it. I tried again and this time it worked. All I had to do was sign up for an account to gain access.
Thanks Piston!
Hey guys, it's been a while. Can anyone help me with 0972GCAXP00234 ?
Built 24-06-2005. What exactly do you need to know?
TBH I just wanted it's birthday, I'd love to find out where it has been before it arrived where I am now but that'd be stretching things. I've been operating wash plants mostly for a time and have not had a loader that's referred to as " Mine " for a little while. She certainly isn't the prettiest lass at the dance and it the lowest spec Seventy Two I've seen. It get the job done though.
what is the year etc of a cat dozer with 9U27935 ? transmission type 3h2616?
9U27414 to 28035 is 1958 production Production ended at 9U29764 in 1959
thanks!!!! i had a d7e 1969, worst decision ever , i sold it about 6 years ago so i was looking around, is the 1959 a good machine?
Yours is a 1958.
The 8U/9U series D6 was one of the best Cats ever built. Trouble is finding one that isn't beat to death or just flat worn out. Most pieces still available.
thanks for the help!!!, i am going to look at one this weekend, it looks a little wore out from the pictures, but the price is around 5k, and has been on the farm for over 25 years...might take a chance. anything in particular to check out on this model?
They didn't have many weaknesses. Pony motors are vulnerable, check wear on the bottom of the final drive housings, I've seen them worn clear through. Worn out undercarriage is pretty typical of a farm machine but that's no fault of the tractor. Late units have oil clutch which is a plus and the late units have provision for mounting direct electric start. Transmission cases have been known to crack when units are run in rough conditions without belly pan protection.
Could you please decode CAT0908HPMXF00268 ? what is the build date? Does PIN number contains the date of manufacturing? Thanks
Cat 908H, Serial Number MXF00268 (last 8 characters of PIN). The PIN does not contain the date of manufacture but the S/N is all you should need to obtain parts & service information for it. Manufacture Date was 22/01/2008.
Hi everybody ,I found a Cat Part store online ,it is good for me to find any excavator part www.excavator-part.com
Has anyone tried www.ironrecord.com it doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to figure out the years of a few different cat dozer's.
D8H 46A11699 D8H 46A3251 D6B 44A1470
D8H 46A11699 1965 D8H 46A03251 1961 D6B 44A01470 1960
Iron Record has been down for over 3 months now.
Is there another site that gives this information
How about a 46A15882?
Would anyone know when the D8H went from a low horse to a high horse? Serial number break?
46A15882 1967
Change to 270 hp @ s/n 46A12885 1966
That high of serial number? I have a 46A11699 and its a high horse unless its been changed
You've had an engine change. 46A1-3043 225 hp 46A3044-12884 235 hp 46A12885-up 270 hp Just to be sure I checked the parts book. Air cleaner change at 46A12885
46A15882 = 1967 High horsepower machines generally have the hydraulics mounted to the right side of the operator. Low horsepower machines generally have the hydraulics mounted under the radiator and the pumps driven from the front of the engine crankshaft. You can probably find a high horse engine swapped into a low horse machine but you will also find they will have heating problems as there was barely enough radiator to keep the low horse engines cool in eighty degree weather.
Ok thanks for the info, now was the turbo the only upgrade to get the 270hp or was there different injector tips as well?
Yah these one's must have all been converted, i have one here that is a 5000 serial range but it never had hydraulics on it but the guy changed the headstall and put all that on.
No changes in nozzles, lots of internal changes... The flywheel H.P. was increased from 160 to 180 on the D7E's, also from 235 hp to 270 hp on the D8H Tractors and 583 Pipelayers, the following engine improvements were made to effect the H.P. increase, New Crankshafts with larger diameter main and rod bearing journals, separate crankshaft gears, piston type rear oil seal, longer main bearings for added support,new rod bearing that are .5" narrower and narrower connecting rods to accommodate the narrow rod bearings, stronger cylinder blocks which are stronger in the area of the main bearing saddle struts for additional crankshaft support, it is not considered economically feasible to adapt these engine improvements to earlier tractors. D8 Engine Bearing Dowel Change 14A, 15A, 35A, 36A1-4391, 46A1-9887 used bearing locating dowels then changed to bearing tabs/no dowels. Center (thrust) bearings did not use dowels and could be a problem.
Curious how many D8H's Cinahcem has?
4, but only one running and a D6B
bulldozer d6d commence par 4x serie 2351 at 4010 est un 1978 regardezx dans le livre serrial number guide usa
Hoping someone here can help me find the info on this. Baby Cat dozer. We think it’s a D2. Tractor number is 5T4571
5T4571 is a 1946 model D4 with D4400 engine.
Thats what is messing with us. All info we can find shows the D4400 to have a 4.25” bore. The engine in this machine has a 4.5” bore
Say it's not so. well now half the battle is over... Good Luck
I think you need to provide more info and/or some pics. Giving bits of info here and there makes it hard to know exactly what you have.
It's possible the D4400 has been swapped for the later D315 (4-1/2" bore) Get the s/n off the engine.
I’m new to the really old iron. Where would I find an engine serial number
Look for a tag LH side rear of engine just above the pony clutch housing. If tag is missing scratch around in the paint between the two rivet holes for a stamped number.
Came out to the tractor. The tag I posted above is the tag you are talking about. However we measured the piston bore and they 4.5” bore
Ok below the tractor number you can see where a tag used to be but no numbers are visible after scraping it. There was a 972 cast into the block above the tractor number tag. On the other side the block had the number 8B2746 cast into the block
Side view of the injection pump.
That is definitely a D4400 engine and was originally a 4-1/4" bore. Seems it's been modified to accommodate 4-1/2" bore liners and pistons. At one time there were kits available to do that.
Does that mean we can use D315 pistons and liners?
Not necessarily. Stroke is the same, rods are the same center to center distance but bearings are different and wrist pin bushings are different. I'd say you'd need to dismantle to check what modifications were made.
Thought I would update this and let y’all know what we have found. Been kinda fun figuring this out. My buddy actually found the info out. The engine is one of the very first 315 engines. What we have found after a ton of research is the very first version of the 315 used the d4400 head and fueling system. He found a book about the 315 and it actually shows pictures of an engine matching this one. Upon further tear down of the engine a serial number was found where they mentioned one would be. Serial number is T0009. He and I are thinking this is one of the very first 315s to come out and is possibly one of their test mules. We could be wrong but after all the digging we have done and some very convincing pictures we think we have finally got this old dino figured out
What's the decompression arrangement look like. The two arrangements are completely different. The D4400 actually raises the lifters for de-compression, the D315 has a cam shaft the raises the rocker arms.
Would have to get over there to see for sure but I think it has a lever assy about halfway up the engine on the right side when sitting in the seat. We pulled the liners and pistons finally. All of them have cat numbers for a 315 on them
Just acquired an oldie. D4D #22C636. Fabick CAT didn't have record of the year. Anyone here have a better idea?
A serial number would be required before any information could be researched.
22C0636 is the s/n. Pretty limited production of an early D4D. Produced 655 units in 1967 to 1968 only. 636 is a 1968 production model.
. Thanks!!
Thanks for the info,I just purchased an old cat D6 serial #9U15840S the guy I got it from didn't know the year an wasn't much good at servicing his equipment either, looks like I'm going to need a clutch water pump exhaust manifold an a roller, any idea on best place to shop for this old girl . Thanks
1954. Sent you a PM.
Hi all, looking at at D5B s/n 94J2338 for sale near me. I've tried the SIS on the cat site and the new 2.0 SIS without success. I've tried this number plus a leading zero (94J02238) without luck. Also noted by Nige, Ironrecord not working. Looking for year and any other useful info. Thanks
94J series are an initial model D5 not D5B. 94J2338 should be a 1974 build, direct drive transmission, 3306pc engine @105h.p.
A 94J is a direct drive tractor. Bob
Thanks, I'm not that familiar wit Cat. The dozer I am looking at has been taken apart. The seller didn't really know other than on the seat box there was a decal "D5B". The ID plate has been painted over a few times and hard to read. I could make out the 94J2238, and figured that number is the serial number. I see I made a mistake in the number, it is 2238 not 2338. I could make out the 3308, so that matches for the engine. He had problems with the right final drive. Pinion and bull gear are worn, destroyed some of the bearings, and wobbled out the spacer tube between the final drive hub and the sprocket. He had a friend in a different state who had a final drive and sold it and shipped it to him. Turned out it was a 44 tooth sprocket instead of a 49 tooth sprocket. He didn't know this until Cat came out to install it and let him know. He said Cat came out a few times and he's done putting more money into it. He does have new bearings and a pinion gear. Hours are unknown. I also noticed the track adjuster spring is broke on the left side and what chrome is sticking out of the adjuster cylinder is rusted off on both left and right sides. It doesn't look like the adjusters work. He said the engine was rebuilt not long ago and the hydraulics were strong and didn't leak. I did see about 3/16" of liner on the steering brake of the right side, since it has been removed. He wants 5k for it, but looking at everything else, hard to say how it moves and runs without taking his word for it. Seems like an honest guy, but it's been sitting for at least 2 years maybe more. I think we can do the work, but it looks like a lot of time, more money on adjusters, bull gear, spacer, and not sure what else we could run into.
I am trying to find the year of a D7f serial number 48a10686. any help would be appreciated
You have a D7E not an F and it's a 1968.
Thank you very much
Hello all, I am looking for the year of a D5B serial number 44x0780. Thanks for your time.
1979 year made in France.
I am looking at a used CAT backhoe that I would use for my home build. I am going to look at one today but alas I don't know the year of the model. The seller posted the ID plate which shows the serial number as 5PC09199 Any help would be appreciated. Paul
416 backhoe built 28th July 1989. If you need more info please ask. These were among the first Cat backhoe models ever built so it should have a Perkins engine.
Wow that was quick, thanks for the quick reply
I am looking or Any information on this unit. age? any specs available, etc I am told it's a 933 serial# 42A0671
933 42A0671: D311 engine 60h.p. Build year 1960.
933F 42A 1 1/4 yard machine US built. Bob
That's an early model "F" before the forward/reverse lever was added. Engine is the D311H, not the same as the earlier D311.
933F 42A0671 early U.S. model Traxcavator equivalent serial numbers 42A0001 & 42A06164 42A0001~42A06163 ..933F first appox. shipping date 1958 Direct Drive 42A06164~up ..........933G first appox. shipping date 1965 Turbo, Direct Drive, ele. start ___________________________ equivalent serial numbers 25A00001 & 25A00560 933F 25A00001~25A00559 Australia model Traxcavator .... first appox. shipping date 1958 Direct Drive 933G 25A00560~up ........................................................ first appox. shipping date 1965 Turbo, Direct Drive, ele. start
I got my own picture of the serial tag. Does this make a difference? 42A671 no 0 before the 6
No, should be marked 933 Traxcavator series F. Bob
those stickers are gone or hard to make out. One of them I believe says just 933 but no letter after it that I can see. I am just trying to positively pin it down so I am looking for the right operator manual and parts manuals
Correction!!!! The 933F became the "G" model with the D320T engine at s/n 42A5918 per Parts Manual.
Any info/break-down on this serial# 38F8066? ...would this machine have a D318 or a D333? Thanks! D5Dan
Second guessing serial # - Could be 38F 3 066??
Tag says that is for the hydraulic system. I've never had any luck trying to chase those numbers back to the machine but maybe the Cat guys here can make it work.
Look on the side of the engine block right below the head for a serial number plate. If engine is original will be same as tractor serial. Bob
Did some more looking more likely a 3306 will have a seperate serial than tractors. Bob
Can someone confirm manufactured date of D25C rock truck, serial no. 9YC00509. I need it for broker to get it across border. Thanks
The #163 2-valve hydraulic control 38Fxxxx was used on D6 tractors model 37A & 44A. 50 gpm bulldozer and tilt cylinder arrangement.
Sorry for delay - just got photo of the plate on the dash
My source shows it as a 1966 D6B. I don't know what engine would be in there.
That would be a D333a (4-1/2" bore)
Can anyone tell me the year of this Caterpillar 426 Series II? If I have the right number, I believe the Serial number to be 7BC04523. I’m attaching a picture of the plate. I appreciate it.
Thank you very much! I appreciate it.
Any help to finding info on the following machine, mostly build date. Thanks much!
Built 28th August 2004. TBH the Serial Number (BLN11341) is all you need to get parts for it, not the model year.
Thanks so much! Is there anyway to see reported hours from a last service in? I’m being told it’s around 2000 hours, but the hour meter is broke stopped on 724. Going out to look at the machine today.
I'm sorry, only the dealer who sold and serviced it (if in fact it was dealer-serviced) will have that information. Neither are there any electronics on it that could be interrogated to get actual machine hours. If the hour meter is broken all bets are off, forget the hour meter and go on machine condition when making an offer would be the way to go. If you were to buy it the first thing on your list should be a complete service and change all fuids.
Thanks again. Looks decent from pictures other than the seat bottom being past due for replacement.
yes brodiesel! Jc was a carpenter. He quit... so... I think probably a bad carpenter but great at walking on water by all accounts
Looking to find the build date and any other useful data for D4D serial number 78A6483 Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!
It's a 1966 model machine is the best I can do. I don't know if the model will show in Cat's computer records but if so someone should be along soon.
Hello I’m wondering if someone could find me the build date for my 963 Track Loader, thanks in advance!! (I believe PIN is 21Z05170)
DOM 8th April 1994.
I have a 933G 42A7237 that needs a turbo. I’m not having any luck in CA finding one. Any suggestions? Thanks Tom
Don't know anything about this source but they are listed in Ca. http://www.invasionautoproducts.com/caeamot0tu4018.html
Thank you
Tom, do you have any manuals such as Parts or Operation/Mainteannce for your machine.? One as old as that machine is it would be a good idea because it does not appear in the online information system.
Yes I have both. Owned it for 25 years now. Rebuilding the motor.
OK. The simple fact that you didn't mention a Part Number when asking about availability of a turbo got me thinking whether or not you had a manual.
Thanks I’m new to the forum. That’s great a suggestion. Tom
Check the old turbo for a tag, should have names and numbers on it that will help in a search for another one. Bob
Thanks Bob
I just aquired a D3C 7XL01191 8Y8151 Does anyone know the year please?
09-06-1997 Take a look at Cat’s SIS2GO app. You can find your build date there as well as parts information etc. https://www.cat.com/en_US/support/maintenance/sis2go-app.html
Thank You! It worked perfectly.
I have a D4H serial # 8PB06321. Can anyone tell me what year it is? Thanks
DOM 23 June 1995.
Dear Nige, Could you please find out the year of my 336DL? VIN: CAT0336DKMDS00362 Thank you in advance.
Dear Nige, Thank you for the quick response. What about the built year of CAT 349 DL? NNF00512 and NNF00487? Thank you again for your help
Greetings everyone! I'm trying to buy a CATERPILLAR 320EL but I'm not so sure about the year model, its PIN is CAT0320ECSXE00188. Can anyone help me with the exact year model? Also, does anyone know a website or book in which I can check all the serials/PIN year models from distinct machineries? Thank you all in advance!
320E SXE00188 does not appear as a genuine Serial Number in my resource. Can you post a photo of the PIN plate.?
I have a red flag warning on it. My sources show that serial number series starts at 193 so my thoughts go to gray market machine. The Miami location of the OP I know is a major port where these machines are brought in. I would suggest a call to a local Cat dealer to check on parts and service support before purchasing the machine.
Thank you @Nige for your soon response, I'll get a picture for sure. Also, thank you @John C. for that indication, I'll double check before buying it. By the way, do you know any website or book that you can suggest me in which I can check year models from machineries? The thing is that I usually import machineries to Ecuador, but there is a restriction based on a 15 latest model year in order to do the customs clearance
Nothing that I know of, sorry. While you are getting photos of the PIN plate get some of the complete machine as well. There have been instances where "Cat" machines were being offered for sale that were not even Cat but some Chinese knock-off........!!
My business subscribes to a service called Top Bid for access to their internet data base. I'm told that nearly all the manufacturers are using the Vin codes that are commonly used on cars now days. I think it used to be the tenth digit in that code that denotes the year of manufacture. Some makes register machine models by year of first sale so you have to be careful about using that.
On Cat machines the last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN are the Serial Number. The character immediately prior to that is a randomly-generated “check character” allegedly put there to make falsifying PIN plates more difficult. AFAIK only the factory carries information regarding what that character is on any given machine.
I was looking to purchase a 936 Cat loader a few months ago. I saw one on Machinery Trader that was painted and had 936F decals snd advertised as a 936F. It had a 33Z serial number which is an earlier 936. It had outboard planetaries, dead giveaway if you know anything about 936's. If you did not know much, you would if you bought it. I did end up with a decent earlier 33Z 936 and was less than 200 mile away. FWD
Oh there's some real shysters out there when it comes to used equipment. Much worse than just the Dupont overhaul.
First post and not sure where to put it. We have an old Cat 518 skidder with a serial number of 55U180. Could use some help with the year of this machine. Thanks
1973. You should always start a new thread, but you got the info you asked for. FWD
Thank you sir!
Can some one give me the info on a D6 5R please. 5R 4035 I believe is the number. It's hidden in front of the winch.
The ACMOC site says D6 5R4035 was built in 1945 (5R3322 to 5R4619 in that year).
Thank you
Hi, I need some information on a Cat 950gII, the owner says it's a 2008, but on Google shows that only goes up to 2006. CAT0950GJAXR00357
Thanks a lot.
i want to buy a Cat966H, can you cehck the VIN CAT0966HJRYF01544, thanks a lot
Date of Manufacture 20th Feb 2013.
thanks a lot
Gday folks. Chasing info on a D6C dozer. Plate on hydraulic tank say 5IG001062. Cheers
The first photo is the S/N tag for the Hydraulic Control which in itself doesn't mean much apart from when parts information is required. 51G prefix is a model 153 Hyd Control first built in 1963 in the UK. The second one is the big deal. Somehow you will need to make the stamped/painted numbers more reabable. With the Hyd Control having been built in the UK I assume that the tractor will also be a UK-built machine. So it is likely the S/N prefix of the tractor will be 82A (direct drive) or 83A (powershift) because production of both those models started in 1964. I don't think it's likely to be the later 46J/47J prefix D6C tractor because production of those models did not start in the UK until 1968.
G'day Folks. Finally got a chance to grab the serial number of the dozer. it is 46J355. I was wondering if any of you chaps could shed some light on manufacture date, etc. Thank you.
Wondering if anyone could help me the year of this Cat 931 SN 45V1734? I'm trying to find a service manual. Im experiencing a similar issue posted in the forum after a few minutes loses drive. I think there may be water in the transmission. Trying to identify the plugs in the undercarriage I need to remove to drain transmission. Thanks for any help, new to this forum and new owner of CAT 391
That’s the engine Serial Number, not the tractor. With a machine of that age it’s unlikely that the online system will link the two numbers.
Thinking about selling my 950G series 2. CAT0950GPAXXO1239. Can't remember if it's an 04 or 05. Only has 4000 hours and meticulously maintained. Aftermarket bucket and forks. All new fluids, batteries, tires, etc.
Built December 2004.
Thanks Nige. I'll try to find the correct plate. I'm trying to determine the year so I can try to find a manual. I'm experiencing transmission issues after a big rain storm. Not sure where to start without a manual.
The machine Serial Number will be on the line directly above the “45V” number on the machine data plate. It may be shown as the Product Identification Number or PIN. A year will be no use to you in obtaining a manual, you will need the machine S/N to find the correct one.
HI All, Does anyone know a way to look up Hyundai equipment age? I have HL740-9 HHKHLN01AD0000670 none of the old sites i used to use work any more. Cheers, Nick
Hello, found the SN on the D8K but it doesn't work on the Cat SIS for me here is the number 77V2420K can anybody help me get the model year on it?
That's a 1975 model.
Try 77V02420. it should work, at least for parts & service information.
Hi all, first post/request. My father-in-law has just brought his latest acquisition home. Serial number on the engine is 6U8795. Any information you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated. Bit more context. It's a D4 with an estimate of somewhere around the early 1950's. All plates on the body are missing. Only one that could be found is the one that I listed above. Thanks.
All I can tell you is that production of the 6U-prefix machines started in 1947 according to the information I have. With a S/N of 8795 your machine will be later than that but I have no idea how much later. You might find out more information by registering on the ACMOC forum and asking there.
Thank you for your assistance Nige, I was able to keep looking and found the below site: TractorData.com Caterpillar D4 tractor information www.tractordata.com Hopefully this will also be a benefit to other members and all of their vintage equipment. I know that it is to my Father-in-law. Thanks again.
Can someone please look my cat up? 95j00381. TIA!
1974 Build year.
Thank you.
Any chance someone can give me a year on this ita n v50b catapillar forklift serial number 79m4455 Thanks in advance
No dates available in my documentation for forklifts I'm afraid. All I can tell you is that 79M production started in 1970, so my best guess is mid-70s for your particular S/No.
Hi Nige, which year is this VIN? CAT0320DVKTF00321 Thanks
Built mid-December 2009. Probably not sold until early 2010. I'll ask this question again for the benefit of others. What's your reason for asking.?
oh THanks Nige how about this one: CAT00320CZBN10652
A much newer machine. Built February 2019.
hi Nige appreciate where did this produced?
I do not have that information. Sorry.
It’s on your Serial # plate, cheers
Thank you guys
Can I please get any information on a wheel loader, only serial # on it is 43A2033, series A. Thank you
43A prefix is a 944A machine. Too old for a build date to appear in the online system. Production started in 1959 so best guess your machine must be early 60s.
Thank you
hi, can any one please help me with the year of manufacturing of a D7G, serial number: 92V06855
1978
Thanks Rusted
I have this other serial number , from a D7G also 65V07163, please help with the year model
1989
Many thanks for your time
Is there any PDF, to help me, to get the year model, by serial number?
Serial number ?
Serial number of 140G: 72V04561
No. August 1980.
Many thanks for your time Nige
Please help with this CAT 120G serial number: 87V09834, need year model
Built March 1994.
Thank you very much Nige
Hi, please help me with this number from a CAT 320D: CAT0320DCA8F00870, i need the year model, and if it is posible where was manufactured
Manufactured June 2008. No exact information exactly where, but the engine is listed as an "export" model so I would imagine it was built in the US for sale outside that country. It's also listed as having a high-ambient temperature cooling package which indicates it was originally specified for sale in somewhere pretty hot.
Many thanks Nige
Please need help, whit a ingersoll rand dd-90, number of product: 6010 SEC. Can any one help me with year model
You should start a new thread in the appropriate forum instead of attaching a totally unrelated question to this thread.
Ok, sorry
Greetings everyone. Trying to determine year of a D6b with the following serial number: 44A10998 Looking at purchasing a 'backup' D6b for parts. Mine is a 1960. Thinking this one is a '62 possibly. Thank you in advance.
44A10998 built in 1965
Hi All, I'm looking for information on the following two 140M3 AWD motor graders with C9.3 engines: ------------PIN----------------Engine Serial Number CAT0140MJN9J00806-----------SYE25857 CAT0140MKN9J00707-----------SYE22626 I'm looking for peak engine torque (nm), reference torque (nm), horsepower, and model year. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially for the peak engine torque values. Thank you in advance.
N9J00806 - built May 2018. N9J00707 - built Dec 2017. Power/torque is the same for both machines. 256 BHP @ 2000 RPM. Max torque 936 ft lb @ 1000 RPM.
Thank you so much D6 Merv. Is there anywhere I can identify if the track pitch between the '65 D6b and the '60 D6b are the same? I see the '65 has replaceable sprocket sections which the '60 does not have. I would like to place those on my '60 If I find that the '65 is more of a parts dozer than a working one.
When D6B came out it had 6.75" pitch. Later on cat bought out D5 with 6.91" pitch chain and many earlier machines were retrofitted with later chain. All these later pitch chains had segmented sprockets. Earlier 6.75? pitch are all a large weld on replaceable rim Measure your 2 chains pin centre to pin centre. Im pretty sure you will have the 2 different pitch chains that are not interchangable
Looking for the year of a CAT D3, serial number 79U02147 6S3621
1975.
That was quick! Thank you, Dave!
Thank you!
6XF00416 sorry just relized this was in the dozer section. fallowed a google link
No worries. If it is a 446 you are asking about then 6XF00416 was manufactured on the 19th of November 1990. Curious to know why exactly you want that information when all parts & technical information is derived from the Serial Number.
all i had to go on was the name plate and googling didnt come up with info on the sn or how to read its data. debating on aquiring one that needs some maintince
That seems to be a theme on here. See this thread........
yep txs was using the search function but dont see 446's talked about and dont know much about simlar models ill make a thread if i do wind up getting it all my experince is on 06 case 580 super M
nige add all the crap cat has added BE terax O&K all too be added into the cat system
Hi, I'm trying to get more info on a 980B loader, if someone could please help me out. Here are the details from the ID plate: Model# Serial# Arrange# vehicle: 980B 89P6993 3V3070 engine: 3306PC 3N67593 4N7377 I *believe it's a '78, but I need confirmation. Basically I'm trying to figure out the part number for the correct service manual(s), as well as for parts, in general, for this vehicle. I tried plugging the serial number into the CAT parts website, but it apparently won't accept an older 7-digit serial number. Also, Can someone explain what the "Arrange Number" is & what it means? thanks
89P6993 should work in SIS. If in doubt, use 89P06993. Arrange number should be Arrangement number. It's basically the highest level part number for your machine. If you were to order part number 3V3070, you would end up with (in theory) a load of parts which when assembled made a machine identical to yours when it left the factory. For the engine serial number, use 03N67593. Anyhoo, machine was built 8th March 1978.
I can help you with that. 980B S/N 89P06993. Parts Manual SEBP1144. Covers 89P-prefix machines with Serial Numbers above 4784, which includes yours. Here's a link to one on eBay that is unfortunately already sold. Service Manual REG00698 which, provided it is complete, includes the Operation & Maintenance Manual. Link to one on eBay that is not already sold. With used paper manuals like this one it's always worthwhile asking the seller "is it complete?". In other words are all the sections listed in the Index (first page inside the cover of the buff-coloured binder) actually present and correct.?
Good morning, cat D6D Serial: 4X07448 Local guy is wanting to sell this machine and I’m inquiring of the year it was built, he doesn’t know
Built May 1981.
Good evening, trying to find more info on this D8 SN 14A4103 Series F Thanks!
1956 Model