Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Software

Jhernandez940 · 2024-01-11 09:53

What software/scan tool is the best to get for Caterpillar Equipment?? Need opinions please

Replies38
  1. #1Nige2024-01-11 09:55

    If you can afford it - Cat ET.

  2. #2Jhernandez9402024-01-11 09:56

    Does Cat ET come in a computer? Or do you buy it from a distributor etc snap on/Matco/

  3. #3Nige2024-01-11 10:37

    ET in itself is a software package that can be loaded onto a computer, usually a laptop. In addition to the software, hardware, in the form of a Communication Adapter, is required to connect the laptop to the Service Tool connector of a machine. Officially it is only available from Cat dealers but other purchase options apparently exist.

  4. #4Mobiltech2024-01-11 11:29

    CAT ET SIS Specs | Mektool - Toughbooks with mech Software for CAT & John Deere heavy machinery Looking for CAT ET SIS Software? (Caterpillar) ET (Electronic Tools), SIS (Service Information System) for use with CAT III USB Adapter online now. www.mektool.com This works great for more than just cat.

  5. #5Jhernandez9402024-01-11 12:39

    Ok guys thanks so much

  6. #6chidog2024-01-11 13:46

    Does that include the communication interface? I couldn't tell. Will it work with out a yearly subscription?

  7. #7Mobiltech2024-01-11 16:48

    You will need the communication adapter also which they sell in a nexus version I think. I have the cat com adapter but also picked up the nexus to do Cummins and other brands. It works on many different brands. No yearly subscription. I have had mine for five years and should probably upgrade soon but it still works great and I can’t see why anyone doing heavy repair work wouldn’t have one. It does password generation also.

  8. #8Vetech632024-01-11 16:55

    Out of sheer curiosity..............how much $$$ does that set up run?

  9. #9Mobiltech2024-01-11 17:11

    I paid 1000 canadian for the toughbook laptop loaded with everything and then another 500 for the nexiq com adapter and cables. It’s great to be able to program ecm’s and generate passwords. A couple trips for the dealer pays for it and you’re not at their mercy. I also look up all my own parts and service on sis.

  10. #108V712024-01-11 17:12

    Also if you plan working on Cat rollers it helps to have Danfoss Plus 1 software. Data link is the same for other equipment.

  11. #11Mobiltech2024-01-11 17:18

    Here's what I have.

  12. #12Tyler d4c2024-01-11 17:46

    Does the nexiq work ok with cat equipment

  13. #13Mobiltech2024-01-11 18:36

    I think so.I just use it for other brands but it is made for cat too.

  14. #14firedozer2024-01-12 14:56

    When I had Cat ET, the dealer gets you approved for it, and loads it on your laptop. Quite a few years ago it was around $4500. Then I think about a $1000.00 per year for the subscription. Every couple of years you had to take your laptop in and they would update it. Cat protects and takes software pretty seriously. So I would not buy stolen software.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2024-01-12 15:11

    Diesel CF30 Laptop Semi Truck Off Road Diagnostic Repair Scanner Tuner Our Diesel Diagnostic Laptops will help you scan, repair, tune, and diagnose your diesel engine, transmission, ecu, and even your brakes. Quit taking your vehicle in to your diesel mechanic and repair it yourself. Our diesel laptops will do it all, such as forced regens, parameter changes, speed... www.dieselscanners.com Here's what I got I have a nexiq for trucks and the cat communication adaptor they sell for equipment. They have had good support for me as I've had a few bumps to work out

  16. #16chidog2024-01-13 00:11

    The whole idea of right to repair should be access to all service information at a reasonable cost. Even service manuals now are nuts. As a kid I obtained a few varieties of shop manuals. Could never afford to do that now, unless my parents were both doctors. Maybe 1K cost once, but if a person that doesn't make $ on it and just wants to learn, that initial 1K expense should not go black on them after the year is up. Updates for latest and greatest yeah, but not to just keep on keeping on with the old stuff.

  17. #17Mike L2024-01-15 18:52

    OP, if you are a Facebook user look up Ted lord, lalo jm, or pm me and I’ll connect you with another source. They can provide what you need at a reasonable price. Unless you own a fleet of cat equipment, cat won’t sell to you because they’re afraid you may make a dollar and they can’t afford to have that happen.

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-01-15 21:58
  19. #19MarshallPowerGen2024-01-26 02:22

    Not going to lie, you have me pretty damn tempted to dive into one of these setups.

  20. #20Mobiltech2024-01-26 02:30

    I do have the cat adapter with dual data link for the later machines so that might help some. The laptop and software all work great.

  21. #21Nige2024-01-26 10:23

    There are often deals to be had in the online marketplaces for used Comm Adapters. Certainly at prices a lot less than new ones anyway. You just have to make sure you get the relevant driver software files with them, I forget now exactly what they are called.

  22. #22AristoTruckTech2024-08-21 08:17

    If anyone needs diagnostics software feel free to shoot me a PM

  23. #23KisstDiagnostics2024-08-28 00:48

    Honestly, it just depends on what you’re trying to do on the equipment. And what types of equipment that you work on. If you’re not looking to program controllers you might not need CAT ET. If CAT is all you work on then it might be worth it to pay the yearly Fees. I use TEXA, but I work on everything lol

  24. #24landon@MTMR2025-01-26 15:19

    I know this was quite a while ago.. but I’m looking for a computer. I’m not wanting/knowledgeable enough yet to do anything crazy but I want something I can reasonably grow into. I’m a mobile guy now, about two years on my own. 70% trucks and 40% construction equipment. I’m wanting to do more equipment though. I’ve been comparing these two: 1. https://dieselscanners.com/products/diesel-diagnostic-laptop-scanner-tuner-truck-repair 2. https://www.mektool.com/cat-et-sis

  25. #25AristoTruckTech2025-01-26 15:33

    I sent you a PM I can get you setup with everything you need for on road and off road equipment!

  26. #26wlhequipment2025-01-31 13:55

    Before you go on Aliexpress and find you Chinese knock off stuff, thinking you'll save some money... Take it from me, don't bother. That stuff is nothing but a HUGE HASSLE. Do yourself a favor and dig deep and pay for the good stuff. Cry once buy once.

  27. #27landon@MTMR2025-02-02 12:39

    I’m not interested in buying Chinese knockoff. What do you mean cry once buy once? Are you talking about OEM or aftermarket? Most of the softwares I know of require annual payments.

  28. #28wlhequipment2025-02-02 13:22

    I mean don't buy the Chinese stuff. OEM is best, I'm sure but aftermarket like Diesel Laptops, Jaltest etc are good too. Cry once buy once means cough up the money for a good kit, so you only do it once.

  29. #29Tony Wells2025-02-12 00:46

    Anyone using Noregon JPro diagnostic equipment? I'm looking to replace my Diesel Laptop package.

  30. #30Cliffy2025-02-12 16:05

    I was told as a young man you have give everything you do 110%.

  31. #31machinerepairman3032025-03-17 23:25

    if you don't need online function,like download flash file from Cat server i recommend you just buy offline CAT ET software with OEM Cat adapter 3 here https://www.autoepccatalog.com/prod...iagnostic-adapter-for-caterpillar-11-quality/

  32. #32landon@MTMR2025-03-27 10:37

    What do you mean by offline software?

  33. #33LCA0782026-02-28 08:28

    Thanks, Rhonda! I just ordered 4 of them based off your first and only post here! And welcome to HEF! :-/

  34. #34AMBMike2026-02-28 10:52

    At least she's based in the USA . It says so right there in her profile! If you doubt that you can just call the phone number that begins with "+86..." Or, reach out to them at their email address that's a collection of letters and numbers @gmail.com. It's gotta be legit! /s

  35. #35CM19952026-02-28 10:55

    It was not.

  36. #36JD955SC2026-02-28 11:11

    The only legit source for Cat Electronic Technician is through your CAT dealer You will have most of the functionality of the dealer version with the exception of being able to flash the ECMs and a couple of other features. You will also need a COMM 3 Adapter. You will not be able to clear certain codes especially EMISSIONS related codes because those require a factory password generated randomly by CAT for tracking purposes You will need a subscription to CAT Service Information System which are the service manuals as well to be able to troubleshoot the codes Both SIS and ET are yearly subscriptions.

  37. #37JBrady2026-03-02 14:04

    Cat also has monitoring software that is less expensive than Cat ET. It's called VisionLink. Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if you just need to monitor equipment, it's another option. You can see fault codes, utilization, fuel levels, etc. It's really more for fleet management, and each machine or asset would have to have a radio.

  38. #38AristoTruckTech2026-03-02 16:28

    If anyone needs to get setup with CAT ET, CAT SIS and more. Shoot me a DM I can help with diagnostic solutions!