Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar Thirty and other things

Diane Marie ยท 2015-02-07 01:07

These are at the Collier Logging Museum north of Klamath Falls, Oregon. The Cat is, I think, a 1920s era model (correct me if I'm wrong). The docent/operator said "It leaks like a sieve, but runs like a champ."

Replies53
  1. #1Diane Marie2015-02-07 01:18

    Some of the equipment is jammed closely together under shelters, so it's hard to back up enough for a good photo. Mack log truck, around 1937-40. Of course, the bulldog and other trim is gone, very rough shape. Also, a steam donkey and straddle carrier (I suppose Hyster). A little something extra from the Mack's trailer.

  2. #2Diane Marie2015-02-07 14:13

    Driving around aimlessly one day, I spotted this huge old IH Farmall sticking out of a garage. Near Klamath Falls, Oregon.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-02-07 23:27

    Nice pics! That carrier could have been a Gerlinger maybe? I think they made some.....

  4. #4Diane Marie2015-02-08 23:23

    Hi, lantraxco. I don't know, I need to go back and take a look, don't know how I neglected that the first time. The only make I ever heard of from my dad was Hyster, since it seems the machine was simply known by that name, like Kleenex is synonymous with tissue. Same with a Skagit being, in my mind, a machine with a long boom that lifted logs onto the trucks. Hello to Coos Bay! I'm originally from Brookings, where my grandfather first started his logging company.

  5. #5Diane Marie2015-02-08 23:34

    Edit: Oops, tried to delete an accidental duplicate, can't see how to do that...so here's an apology, instead.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-02-08 23:53

    Hi! My Grandfather moved here from Idaho when he was about twelve, guess he liked it, never left. He was, as he put it anyway, "The best damn edgerman on the South Coast" spent his whole life in the mills. I spent thirty years in Portland, finally came to my senses a while back, moved home. I'll be here until I die or get a better offer, lol. There were lots of makers of those carriers, very well could be Hyster, but also Ross, Gerlinger, Clark, etc. I think they all pretty much originated here in the NW. Doesn't really matter, it's a nice example of an older machine, glad they're preserving it. I like your avatar picture, not many people these days would recognize a wigwam burner.

  7. #7Diane Marie2015-02-09 04:32

    I did a brief search and saw that those mfrs. were mostly in Portland and Seattle. I didn't see any photos that looked like the one above, but it does look vaguely like one old Gerlinger. Well, I'll find out, eventually. Why this old equipment interests me so much, I don't know. Maybe because it's all over the place here and there's not much else to look at in KF! Dad quit logging in 1962 and got a job in California, so I spent the next 46 years there (I'm old) and moved back to KF in 2008 for family reasons. Still have culture-shock - haha!

  8. #8oldtanker2015-02-09 12:45

    The Farmall looks like an M with the jungle gym loader. Isn't worth much. Completely restored a person would be lucky to get 2500 out of it. First row crop tractor to break 40 PTO HP. Older one, had a magneto instead of a distributer. Great pictures. Rick

  9. #9old-iron-habit2015-02-09 21:23

    Noticed it still has the belly pump but it is not being used as no line is coming out of it. As it has two way cylinders on the bucket it probably has a PTO pump with a different control on it. How can you tell it is a M and not an H. I was trying to figure out which one it was.

  10. #10mitch5042015-02-10 01:04

    I'm pretty sure that dump cylinder on the bucket is a relatively recent addition. When that thing was new, it would have had a trip latch on the bucket with a rope running up so the operator could pull it to dump the bucket. Notice the round bottom? that's so you could backup to roll the bucket up if just setting it on the ground didn't do it. One things for sure about that 40 hp tractor, no modern 40hp compact tractor's gonna out pull it in a dead pull. My father bought a Super M brand new, and gave it to his brother in the early '70s. My uncle restored it, and my first cousin still uses it around his sawmill. There was one of those sawdust burners in real good shape in the edge of a trailer park a few miles from my house here in SC. A few years back the owner tore it down and scrapped it.

  11. #11oldtanker2015-02-10 03:42

    The H is much smaller physically than the M. About a foot shorter in length and 4-5 in height, the M is 1000 pounds heavier too. The H looks almost ridiculous with that type loader. Plus the gas tank on the M is 5 gallons bigger making the tank noticeably taller. The tank on the H is almost slender by comparison. I've never seen one of those loaders that didn't have a PTO pump on it. Most likely because the lift cylinders on that are very large for that era and require much more fluid than the belly pump holds (belly pump was 6 gallons). Belly pumps on those only made 500 PSI on the early ones and 800 on the late ones. Rick

  12. #12old-iron-habit2015-02-10 10:52

    Thanks Rick, I am OK when I see them in person but always have trouble with pictures when the emblem is faded away. The M needed a bigger fuel tank but they sure could do a lot of work.

  13. #13oldtanker2015-02-10 13:13

    I have an advantage, I own an M. Rick

  14. #14old-iron-habit2015-02-10 20:20

    I bought my dads old H back a few years ago. It had never gone far from home. Its still a great running tractor but paint is quite faded. I'm keeping it the way it is.

  15. #15oldtanker2015-02-10 21:53

    Mine is wearing "work cloths" too. Rick

  16. #16Diane Marie2015-02-11 23:33

    Mitch said, "There was one of those sawdust burners in real good shape in the edge of a trailer park a few miles from my house here in SC. A few years back the owner tore it down and scrapped it." Argh! I hate when that happens! There's a cylinder-shaped one here in Klamath Falls that is older than the teepee ones. I read they were first produced about 1900, which fits, because the logging industry in KF started in the late 1800s. So far, it's been preserved, and as far as I know that's the long-term plan. As for leaving old equipment in their "work clothes," I'm all for that. "Jungle gym loader." I like that term! Hmmm - these didn't upload the regular way, but after I finally gave up they appeared as attachments. Another Farmall in better shape, a lot smaller than the rusty one. Parked on a storage lot in Keno, Oregon. Sorry about the artistic photos, I'll have to take more serious photos if I'm going to be uploading things here.

  17. #17oldtanker2015-02-12 06:12

    Diane the burner like the one in your avatar near me was demolished a couple of years ago. It was at a plant that made lath for plaster lath walls and snow fence. It was still in operation in the 70's. The advent of plastic snow fence is what put the place out of business. Rick

  18. #18old-iron-habit2015-02-12 08:44

    That Farmall 350 is the next series newer than the M and the H.

  19. #19oldtanker2015-02-12 12:18

    Close but not quite. The H/M was replaced by the Super H/M 52-54, then the 300/400 from 54-56, then the 350/450 56-58 in 59 the 60 series came out. I farm with old equipment so I have to know what they are and what the advances were to make it worth buying or not. The Super series were a little more HP a optional on the go high low called a TA (torque amplifier), better hydraulics, optional 2 point "fast hitch" and live hydraulics. The 300/400 had new tin and IPTO (independent live PTO) and the 50 series were again a bump in HP. The 60 series was an in line 6 cylinder engine, new tin and better hydraulics. Of them all for the collector the SMDTA (Super M, gas start diesel, TA) with factory installed 2 point fast hitch is the holy grail. All in all they were good solid reliable tractors. Today for smaller operations some are still usable based on availability of implements. Here, in west MN with all the lakes the old stuff like plows are popular for yard art for the lake people so the stuff is too expensive. I paid 600 for a 5 bottom, auto reset plow. I saw a 3 bottom ground lift plow at auction last spring go for 1K. Start adding that 400 dollar here and there difference and can buy a newer larger tractor pretty soon. Rick

  20. #20kshansen2015-02-12 18:48

    Well I can't play with the big boys and their H's and M's but I have one of the little brothers, BN with a belly mount mower to keep the weeds under control on about 8 acres. I think it was sometime in the late `70's I did a ground up rebuild on it

  21. #21oldtanker2015-02-23 13:29

    LOL I seldom use the M. It's too small. Rick

  22. #22old-iron-habit2015-02-23 19:37

    That is a nice little tractor and getting used in its element. I have a Cub lowboy with duals and a 5' side mount sickle mower. Works great for cleaning up around the place. It was a county ditch mower for the first 30 years of its life.

  23. #23Diane Marie2015-02-23 21:17

    This is at Camp Tulelake museum in Tulelake, CA. That was a combined Japanese internment camp and German POW camp. (It's more complicated, but that will suffice.) I couldn't see the mfr. for this, because it's in a fenced area, but assume it's WWII era. Well-used old CAT grader - maybe 1960s or 70s? Construction yard in Klamath Falls, Oregon.

  24. #24Truck 5052015-02-23 21:45

    Not sure what make the grader is but its not a Cat

  25. #25mitch5042015-02-23 22:08

    No doubt what so ever that the grader is an Austin-Western. It looks like a Super 366 from the early '60s, but the exact model is hard to say from those shots.

  26. #26Diane Marie2015-02-23 22:12

    Really! Strange, I wonder why it has CAT all over it.

  27. #27mitch5042015-02-23 23:54

    What can I say? Stickers are cheap.

  28. #28Diane Marie2015-02-24 06:49

    Well that's just weird!

  29. #29lantraxco2015-02-24 13:06

    LOL, when the Dodge/Cummins trucks came out, I heard of one dyed in the wool Ford lover that swore he would never drive anything else.... one day his buddy sees him driving a Dodge diesel, does a double take at that, then a triple take... the guy had put Ford emblems where the Dodge ones should have been! It takes all kinds. :tong

  30. #30mitch5042015-02-24 23:00

    Well, when that A-W was built, that was THE ONLY 6x6 grader made, and the nearest thing to an articulated machine. Maybe somebody just couldn't handle not being able to get that with CAT on it.

  31. #31Diane Marie2015-02-24 23:19

    When you put it in the context of being a joke, now I get it. I can imagine the CAT thing was a prank. By the way, my granddaughter was with me and she kind of fell in love with this grader. I told her what it was used for, blah blah blah. She then said, "Why don't you look for the key and start it up?" I told her the key probably wasn't around anywhere, plus I couldn't just start up somebody's grader. She said, "Well, look under the floor mat, it's probably there."

  32. #32maddog2015-02-25 08:09

    The old Farmalls bring back memories, many hours pulling logs with an H back in the 80's. It wasn't a monster but it did get the job done, things were done different back then. My 1st dozer was an old oliver (OC??) pushed great except going up steep hills then the float would tilt just enough to shut her down. Had some other machines through the years, old case'es IH'es, etc.... these younger folks would never understand unless they had to use them My dad made me learn how to cut would on a two man saw, then an axe then I finally was able to have a homelite chainsaw(back when they were real saws). At the time we cut on shares for 3 folks 80-90% of the time it was just my pop and me cutting, we averaged over 100 face cord(or as the south would say a rick ) of wood per year. We rented a splitter once for 1 weekend, splitting wood was considered honest work(yes I agree now, not back then though, I'd rather been chasing girls). Thanks for the pictures and great memories

  33. #33Diane Marie2015-02-25 22:09

    You're welcome, maddog. My dad said they called the two-man saw the misery-whip. He started working in the woods with his brother and father at age 11 - that would have been 1931. So, chainsaws would have been either impractical or unattainable by people of their dirt-poor means. I found an interesting article about chainsaw history: http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinventions/a/Chainsaws.htm You've made me remember some photos I took at a logging museum in my area. Vintage chainsaws: There are about 20 of them at the museum.

  34. #34maddog2015-02-26 07:11

    Thanks again

  35. #35Diane Marie2015-03-08 05:00

    Found in a farm field, Merrill, Oregon. Looks like a dump truck to me, late 1930s. Didn't ID the make, yet, can't find the vertical grille along with horizontal vents. Potato truck in Klamath Falls, in for a new muffler. The truck itself probably resides in Merrill or Malin, two little towns that operate as Potato Central of Oregon. Maybe a 1960s IH. Retired, falling apart Chevy and Ford, Merrill, Oregon.

  36. #36Diane Marie2016-02-02 03:45

    Found a few days ago hidden by some abandoned industrial buildings in Klamath Falls, Oregon. It was so dark I had to do major editing. 1947 Ford dump truck

  37. #37Cmark2016-02-02 05:00

    Nice to see you're still with us. I appreciate the way you bring a fresh perspective to the subjects of this forum.

  38. #38dirty4fun2016-02-02 05:07

    Good looking old Ford dump truck, to bad that it isn't being taken care of. That is some beautiful country that you are living in, love to see the old saw dust burners. From a time pretty much lost these days.

  39. #39Oxbow2016-02-02 07:13

    There are not many left still standing.

  40. #40gtermini2016-02-02 11:28

    Wow what a small world. I went to college at OIT in Klamath and worked on a friend's farm in Merrill. I have driven the blue cabby freightshaker in the background more times than I could count hauling hay to their shed pictured there right on the edge of town in the picture. I'm pretty sure the yellow old Ford is less than a mile from the farm on Hill Rd as well. Greyson

  41. #41Diane Marie2016-02-03 04:42

    Hi, Cmark! Well, I did find something to add here. Most of what I find isn't really heavy equipment. More like medium equipment.

  42. #42Diane Marie2016-02-03 04:49

    There are lots of these old trucks and cars around here. The good news is, the climate is so dry that the rust is usually just surface. I don't often see anything rotted clear through. Doesn't look like there's any intention to get this one restored. As for the burners, it seems Oregon has a good share of the ones left in the west - or in the whole country.

  43. #43Diane Marie2016-02-03 05:11

    That's right. Here is the best-looking thing in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The cylinder-style predates the wigwam type. It's brick-lined and appears to be a much heavier gauge steel than wigwams. As far as I can gather from some research, this was built around the turn of the 19th Century and was in service until the '70s. Several successive owners had mills on that property, the last one being Modoc Lumber. It closed down in the late '90s and the mill was demolished except for this and one building. I guess this qualifies as heavy equipment. The property is now the city's composting yard.

  44. #44Diane Marie2016-02-03 05:21

    Wow, no kidding! That's great. I have a lot of photos of Merrill here: http://www.panoramio.com/user/57700/tags/Merrill?photo_page=1 Some is just artsy stuff, but you'll recognize the old seed & feed (abandoned), various buildings and old trucks around town, plus the steam loco collection south of town. They're placed on the Google Earth map, so you can see just where they are.

  45. #45Cmark2016-02-03 05:54

    Hey! We're a broad church~~~

  46. #46mitch5042016-02-03 21:58

    Hey Diane, Glad to see you back, you always bring neat pictures. That cylinder style burner is interesting, I've seen several teepee style around here up until the '70s, but I never saw a round one. Oh, btw, that IH potato truck is mid '70s vintage. I still own her twin, but I haven't used it in about 15 years. Since my father bought it new in '77, and I learned to drive in it, I keep her around; and I really do plan to restore it for the antique shows, someday....

  47. #47jim-in-so-ore2016-02-03 23:23

    Diane Marie,There is a wigwam burner about 10 blocks from my house and it is just over the hill from Klamath Falls in Central Point, Oregon. Last time I looked it was full of sawdust. Has a big blue tarp over the top to keep the sawdust dry. It is at a little cut stock mill called "The Mount Pitt Co.

  48. #48Diane Marie2016-02-04 06:26

    Hi, Jim, we're almost neighbors. Sounds interesting, I'll try to find it on Google Earth and maybe drive over there one day. Edit: Aha, found it. I wonder why it's covered.

  49. #49Diane Marie2016-02-04 06:31

    Thanks, Mitch! There are lots of potato farmers around here, so I see a lot of those trucks. Yours sounds like a sentimental keeper! I think the massive Weyerheauser mill here had a cylinder one. They closed down in the late '80s, or so, and the whole place was demolished.

  50. #50dirty4fun2016-02-04 18:58

    Looks like this summer when I go to Vancouver Island I will have to swing south and try to find some saw dust burners. I used to live west or Portland, and did a lot of traveling in the late 90's always enjoyed seeing the old mill sites especially on the back roads.

  51. #51Diane Marie2016-02-04 22:29

    Here is a blog about wigwam-hunting in Oregon: http://www.mysouthlane.com/2015/remnants-of-the-past/ Have fun and post photos here!

  52. #52jim-in-so-ore2016-02-09 17:22

    Diane Marie, Just walked over to the "The Mt. Pitt Co." only to find out it hasn't been that since the early 90s, it is now "The Rogue Valley Bin Co." The reason for the blue tarp is dust. There is an elementary school 2 blocks away. The sawdust and planer shavings are stored in the old wigwam and local ranchers and farmers get them for bedding for their cattle. Now we all know. Jim

  53. #53Diane Marie2016-02-12 21:32

    A few old rusties OK, Jim, at least it's covered for a good cause, not just to make it look ugly. :tong Here are some recent Klamath Falls area finds in the medium-equipment category: 1947 Chevy dump truck beside an abandoned building. I want this one! 1953ish IH-R190 used for well drilling. 1956 GMC potato truck in Merrill. Chevy potato truck, also Merrill. Three oldies in a county storage yard. They painted it yellow, but left the "U.S. Navy" on the door. I suppose it was bought at auction after Kingsley Field transitioned from Navy to Air Force in 1946. But, the truck looks more like '50s, so...? Anybody know the make of that and the red one? Kingsley Field: http://www.173fw.ang.**.mil/history/