Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar wiring problems

AntonioRocha · 2020-03-11 16:25

Hello guys, our CAT 329D had a problem in the wiring insulation, We had to change the wire harness completly, anyone seen this problem in CAT excavators? https://ibb.co/cQWpFf7

Replies22
  1. #1AntonioRocha2020-03-11 16:26
  2. #2AntonioRocha2020-03-11 16:30
  3. #3Nige2020-03-11 17:39

    It's been hot. It also appears as though the area concerned was probably not cleaned in a long while judging by the dirt on the back of the harness connector. That could have kept the heat in and cooked the insulation. Was the whole area buried in contamination when you first started the job.?

  4. #4Cmark2020-03-11 18:21

    Yes, I've seen this before on a 390D. The insulation just deteriorates and crumbles away under your fingers. We couldn't get any explanation or resolution from the dealer and the customer just had to wear the cost of the replacement. I recall though that the new harness was readily available which struck me as being suspicious as in the whole scheme of things, 390s aren't produced in particularly high volume. In fact I've just checked the availability of the harness we replaced and there's around 20 in stock. You draw your own conclusions.

  5. #5Mobiltech2020-03-11 19:07

    I replaced all harnesses on a 365C for that same reason. Coating crumbled like clay. I wasn’t sure what caused it. Customer had 2 machines close in serial number that both came from the same place. Only one did it. I wondered if the machine being run through a paint stripping wash would do it.

  6. #6John C.2020-03-11 19:20

    I've seen something like that on machines unloading caustic cargo from ships and barges. Did you get your machine brand new? Maybe you could provide a serial number so someone might be able to tell where yours came from.

  7. #7AntonioRocha2020-03-11 19:29

    It seems to be a common problem on some cats. The big socket you see in the picture is from the chassi wire harness that we replaced. That socket is connected to another socket that goes into the cab and the wires are like new. Booth Harness are connected in the battery compartment, and only that start loosing the insulation, it must be a problem in the Caterpillar wiring suplier.

  8. #8Nige2020-03-11 19:37

    If the damaged harnesses are in the battery compartment then you should not ignore the possibility of spilled battery acid or corrosion as a result of the sulphation from the battery terminals at some point.

  9. #9AntonioRocha2020-03-11 19:57

    The other wiring harness, are in the battery compartment also, its connected to that socket and they look like new, if there was spilled acid it would not damage only on wiring harness present in the battery compartment. And I fortgot, it uses CAT batteries

  10. #10Cmark2020-03-11 20:07

    I've been doing some digging and there may be a long-expired PI notice on it. I'll try to get a copy. What's the serial number of the 329D?

  11. #11JD955SC2020-03-11 20:11

    I haven’t seen it in normal conditions. but I have seen it in ones where there was oil soaking the harnesses- that will absolutely cause insulation to come off and cause all kinds of issues

  12. #12Cmark2020-03-12 02:56

    Found it. It's a PS program for several excavators. The program expired in 2013. Quote "The existing wiring harness insulation can crumble and flake apart" Service letter REBE7236. Dealer level SIS required to see it.

  13. #13Nige2020-03-12 08:42

    Chris, this is not the one you were talking aboiut. The REBE number is different but the problem statement is exactly as you posted above, again for a mixed group of specific Serial Numbers of 300-Series Excavators. I imagine the REBE7236 will be similar with nothing more than machine S/N & Parts Required changes. Can't find REBE7236 anywhere. The After Failure Only program attached was published in 2013 and expired in 2015. It's a bit of a cut & paste job but there is enough info for it to be possibly useful to somebody.

  14. #14simonsrplant2020-03-12 09:26

    Had a similar issue with one of the 385s I take care of. Nearly burnt to the ground. Ended up putting a harness into it.

  15. #15Cmark2020-03-12 16:20

    Yes, that's the same problem but, as you said, for a different range of machines. It would need more research to confirm, but at the moment it looks like the commonality may be that the machines were manufactured at the Gosselies plant.

  16. #16Nige2020-03-12 18:23

    And that would make sense because Antonio's machine is located in Portugal.

  17. #17Cmark2020-03-13 00:35

    Been having a semi-casual look into this today and learned something new. Who has ever heard of - wait for it - BIODEGRADABLE WIRING? :facepalm: Apparently this was really a thing in the 90s on some Mercedes. What the actual flip!?? The excavators in question are mid 2000s models but I wonder if this is the same issue.

  18. #18Nige2020-03-13 09:41

    That's one of those things that your response just has to be an incredulous - "You f'kin what...?"

  19. #1992U 34062020-03-13 11:00

    Wow. Just.... umm.... huh??? *scratches head, walks away mumbling something about imagineers.

  20. #20mitch5042020-03-13 11:19

    Yeah, I can believe that...But, only because I've spent better than 30 yrs dealing with the products of engineers collective imaginations. For the first 25, I might still have been shocked!

  21. #21CatKC2020-03-15 08:39

    Wiring that BIODEGRADED was (is?) a fact. There was a period when they were apparently trying various insulation's. The insulation would crack and disintegrate. That type of insulated wire was used on MANY things. If the application did not 'move/flex the wire' insulation just cracked. . . until moved. Around the same time there was insulation produced that contained other things to make it more 'bio-friendly'. Some were composed of things such as soy products which were well loved by mice and rats.

  22. #22Vetech632025-05-14 15:56

    But but but…….muh environment