Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar without shatterproof safety glass?

Kingpalm ยท 2015-08-12 21:09

Hi, I have a question and I hope someon here can help me with it. My kids broke a front windshield of a caterpillar from someone in the neighbourhood. Ofcourse I want to fix it/ pay for the damage. I have 0 knowledge about equipment like this. But it looks like an old machine and the broken window does not look like shatterproof safety glass . It broke in big sharp pieces like a normal house window would. The owner insists its an original windshield and want an original part in return. Were/Are there caterpillars equipped with non safety glass? I have some pictures. IT's the front shield: Kind regards

Replies24
  1. #1stumpjumper832015-08-12 21:43

    Looks like standard have cut at the glass shop flat glass to me... Personally its another reason to hang on to the old stuff the new curved glass is rather salty and your forced to go to the dealer

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-08-12 22:09

    The door glass in the picture looks like standard safety glass, Not to be confused with tempered glass. The windshield looks like regular glass. Safety glass is not that much more expensive around here when you get to the thicker glass. I hope the kids get an educational work task to pay for the damage and to remind them not to do it again.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-08-13 00:16

    Yes, if it was original it would have been laminated safety glass, when it breaks it all kind of stays together because of the clear vinyl layer between the two thin glass sheets. If it was tempered which I don't believe came along until quite a few years after that machine was built, the whole windshield would have shattered into thousands of small not very sharp fragments. I would get an estimate from a glass company to replace with laminated safety glass and probably new rubber. Or call the nearest CAT dealer with the serial number and see what they say, good chance it's no longer available from CAT.

  4. #4Nige2015-08-13 05:20

    The centre windshield should be laminated safety glass, the door windows were most likely tempered safety glass. The way that glass broke means it's not original despite what the machine owner says. Any mobile automotive glass supplier should be able to cut and fit a new centre windshield using a new rubber. We never bought replacement glass from Cat for that purpose. To be honest I would replace the door glasses with the same material, it will be easier and better than what was there originally.

  5. #5DDoug2015-08-17 10:26

    Let me get this straight: 1. Your child broke his machine. 2. You said you would repair it. ("make it right" ?) 3. Your complaining you have to pay for better glass, when all that your child broke was ordinary glass. 4. Your not paying for the downtime when the machine is down ? (waiting to get fixed and employees standing around) 5. Your not paying for a rental machine while owner is being repaired ?

  6. #6willie592015-08-17 20:24

    If you have to replace the glass in that neighbors machine, first of all, don't go back with plate glass (like what's in there now), use either laminated of tempered glass. Reason being, even though that's plate glass in the pics and even if that "was" the original glass, if you replace with plate glass, and later down the road that man has an accident and goes through that glass, you could be looking at a legal battle with him, not worth it. If you go with laminated glass, don't try to install it yourself. Lammie is really easy to crack during install, the last thing you need is to purchase a piece of cut laminated and have it break while you're attempting the install. The best use of your money, have a mobile glass shop come out, cut the glass, and have them install it, the burden of getting the install right is on them. JMHO

  7. #7Nige2015-08-18 04:01

    Willie, I just noticed where the OP is posting from, and I'd bet that there isn't a windshield glass installation company down there. Added to that he hasn't been back on the forum since last Friday.

  8. #8willie592015-08-18 19:33

    Great catch Nige, I didn't even notice the location, which may explain that plate glass in the windscreen as well.

  9. #9Randy882015-08-19 03:43

    I'd go one up on the whole process, let the owner buy whatever he wants to, pay him and have him sign a form absolving all liability of the situation from that day forward, that way he gets what he wants, you didn't do any of the buying and it can't be argued later on you bought the wrong replacement glass, but I don't know how that part of the world works for liability purpose's. Once its all done apologize profusely to him, I don't know what happened, most assume it was vandalism, but accidents do happen, it could have been kids playing baseball and a ball went astray, or learning to play golf and or dozen other things in life that just happens, at least he's trying to make amends, most would walk away and laugh it off and leave the owner to foot the bill.

  10. #10cam08032015-09-01 15:25

    Willie is right. I spent 50 years in the auto glass business, including early years in the open pit uranium mine, cutting lami for big equipment. Even then laminated was used. Some newer equipment is using tempered in both wind shields and side windows, but for immediate replacement, call a shop that has on site glazing...and yes, it will probably require new rubber...very cheap.

  11. #11cam08032015-09-01 15:27

    Ah yes...I too see the member location and the spelling.

  12. #12kshansen2015-09-01 16:28

    I always liked watching the glass guys cut that laminated stuff. Score it on both sides and a few gentile taps it would break, then they squirt on some alcohol and light it. Wait a few seconds and the fire would melt the plastic center enough to let them get a razor blade in to cut it free. Then to smooth it out they grab the belt sander just like you would use on a piece of wood and go at it!

  13. #13lantraxco2015-09-01 16:51

    Huh, the guys I used did the fire before breaking and it just separated, I don't recall them having to cut the laminate, maybe once or twice in thirty years? But then after the first few times I didn't watch too close, lol

  14. #14kshansen2015-09-01 20:01

    Could be I got that a bit wrong. I tried to stay out of the way as best I could.

  15. #15lantraxco2015-09-01 20:06

    kshansen, I would think there is more than one way to skin a cat, yeah? In my younger days I used to confound service managers with the way I got things done, what irritated them was they could never find anything wrong with it, lol. I would think the glass business is no different it's all in how you're trained originally?

  16. #16willie592015-09-01 21:31

    I've cut plenty of lammie back in my former life. As lantraxco stated, score both sides and snap it. Then pour denatured alcohol in the cut. The alcohol would eventually melt the vinyl inside the glass sandwich all by itself, but about as fast as watching molasses pour, that's where lighting the alcohol comes in, it heats up the vinyl allowing it to stretch and open up the crack, a quick zip with a razor blade and your done. The problem with laminated is installing it in the rubber, lammie is really really easy to crack when you're installing it. Once it's in, it's fairly durable, but the install makes you sweat.

  17. #17cam08032015-09-01 21:37

    Training and inner motivation! Can't provide the motivation for anyone. Has to come from within.

  18. #18Delmer2015-09-01 23:01

    Welcome! Until I looked at your other posts, I thought we had another poet joining the site. The other Cam has being Australian as an excuse. You have legalized pot. I'm still trying to figure out Fixu???

  19. #19old-iron-habit2015-09-01 23:09

    Hey Delmer, Are you the comedian in your family? That was funny.

  20. #20lantraxco2015-09-01 23:46

    I think trying to figure out Fixou would be not only doomed to failure, but would quickly give you a headache. Still, even though he's a character he does bring something of value to the table

  21. #21Tinkerer2015-09-02 06:46

    I am glad to see I am not the only one trying to figure out Fixou.

  22. #22aktheraja2015-09-02 13:45

    Pls I do need help on my car 325cl. Replaced the old oil pressure sensor with the one I bought from cat company but excavator not working. What should I do?

  23. #23aktheraja2015-09-02 13:49

    @nige. Pls I do need help on my car 325cl. Replaced the old oil pressure sensor with the one I bought from cat company but excavator not working. What should I do?

  24. #24old-iron-habit2015-09-02 22:40

    Start a new post with your problem with serial number and model under the excavator forum. Someone will see it there that may be able to help you.