Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cats, built in Japan?

DMiller ยท 2013-07-08 18:14

I know the smaller Cat loaders are made in Japan or somewhere overseas, what years and models did that start? I would like to get a larger loader like a 953 or 963 but the newer hydros scare the hell out of me and the Asian builds I want to avoid. Am I looking too old to do any good by considering this? Reason I ask is I saw a Komatsu D65 and a 977L sitting side by side with a D57S and a 955K, very few and subtle differences.

Replies5
  1. #1D6 Merv2013-07-09 03:42

    Hi Dave Caterpillar and Mitsubishi heavy industrys set up a joint venture in 1967 to build cat machines for the southern hemisphere and local market. They,re still building them there ! Dozers D3 to D7, loaders 931 to 977L. Well its all the current models now but that was the lineup when I left the dealer here in 86 !! All there gear came down here; got 3 myself ! 2x 6D and a 4E. But we also got D4-D6 from USA and UK. Is a few minor differences from US made stuff; mainly electrical like starters and alternators. A lot of stuff sits in japan and does very little hours. Was a few clever people buying them cheap in the late 90s and selling them here; but the rest off the world discovered them too and suddenly we had to pay the 'new' market rates. Bare in mind in those days one of our pacific pesos, $, only bought 50 cents US, bit better now we get 75 cents !:drinkup cheers mate Merv

  2. #2DMiller2013-07-09 17:39

    Thanks Merv, good information to think on. I did not realize it went back so far.

  3. #3ben46a2013-07-09 19:49

    I wouldn't sweat the asian build. Japan is about the polar opposite of china, excellent build quality.

  4. #4CM19952013-07-09 20:52

    Some of the loaders were built in Japan. The 953's were built in Japan, the US and France. My BBX 953C was built in France, along with my CS433E. Take a look at this site - http://www.ironrecord.com/ It has good information on Cat equipment. Personally I am not afraid of Japanese built Cat equipment, my D5G is one of the most reliable tractors I have.

  5. #5denver m farms2013-07-09 21:04

    I wouldn't be afraid of one either, we have owned about 10 Japan made cats over the years and they were fine. This is my opinion but I do have a lot of expierence with both hydro and power shift, and I would take a hydro anyday, to work on and fix or run.