Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ceiling Fans in the Shop

thepumpguysc ยท 2018-03-15 07:22

I was just wondering if anyone has ceiling fans in their shop..?? & if so, does it create a shadow when the blades are spinning & the lites are on..?? I'm trying to decide on ceiling fans or just some pedestal fans in the corner, for mine.. That shadows would drive me insane.. I guess it all depends on the height of the lites vs the height of the fan.. Lemme know whatcha got.. Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-03-15 07:45

    I have ceiling fan that I took out of my family room and put in my garage and never noticed any shadows because it has a light under the blades. But, on really hot humid days it won't move enough air to be comfortable because it is too high. If I were to lower it, it would be in my way. I noticed in the TV show Gas Monkey Garage that they had some big ass fans in their shop. So I Googled big ass fans and found where they prolly got them.----> https://www.bigassfans.com/ I also have a cage fan that works really well for those days the cieling fan isn't good enough. It is powerful enough to blow stuff offa the workbench if I have it too close.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-03-15 07:58

    I searched those fans too.. MAN are they expensive.. That's what I was talkin about Tink.. IF I put up fans, I would probably have to lower them to get GOOD air flow.. then.. they would prob. be under the lites.. hence the shadow of the blades spinning.?? I don't know but it seems very possible..

  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2018-03-15 13:52

    Pumpguy, I doubt you can find any in your area but an old rusted out swamp cooler would work well. Just cut all the sheetmetal off and make a mount to hang off the ceiling so you can rotate it in both axes and direct the air where you want it. Mike

  4. #4Delmer2018-03-15 15:10

    Ceiling fans are more effective if they hang down a bit from the ceiling to get some air movement above them. And the lower they are from the light the less flicker you'll notice. The residential version with cardboard blades will droop in high humidity, not a problem if you keep the AC on, even turned down.

  5. #5Jumbo2018-03-15 21:42

    What is your intent for the fans? To heat/cool or to clean out fumes? To just move air in the summer in my shop, I use an old squirrel cage fan from a dead furnace. It cost $5 to get it and another $3 to put a short cord end on it. I can place it right where I am working. Clears out the fumes and cools in the summer. FYI, once a year clean all your light with warm soapy water. You will be surprised how much brighter your shop is. (Less shadows also.)