Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chain case oil

wombat55 ยท 2024-11-21 04:26

Hi all I have a mustang 2044, and I was wandering if it was possible for something else filling the reservoir? I just drained one side and got 55litres out Thankyou

Replies1
  1. #1ThreeCW2024-11-22 01:37

    How ya going, mate? According to a 2010 Operator's Manual that I pulled off the internet, the 2044 chain case capacity is 7 gal (26.5 L) of ISO VG 46 hydraulic oil. The 2044 hydraulic reservoir has a capacity of 11.5 gal (43.5 L) of the same ISO VG 46 hydraulic oil. I am not familiar with Mustang skid steers (although there seem to be a number of them in Canada), but I suspect the drive mechanism is similar to other skid steers with the drive motor's splined shaft mounting into the chain cases. If a seal is leaking on a drive motor splined shaft area, it can leak hydraulic fluid into the chain case with the result that the chain case fluid volume increases. In your case, both fluid types are the same and there may be no fluid contamination. You have seen a substantial increase in the chain case volume. Since chain cases don't get checked that often, I suspect you won't know over what time period that chain case volume gain occurred. Have you seen a drop in your hydraulic fluid volume over time? What fluid volume are you seeing in the other chain case? Find an example Operator's Manual attached for your reference ... not sure if it is for your year of machine.