Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

chain hoist

bob b ยท 2014-02-13 23:19

whats the best 1/4 to chain hoist?

Replies16
  1. #1simonsrplant2014-02-14 15:59

    1/4 ton?

  2. #2bob b2014-02-14 23:16

    oops, thats the one. 1/4 ton lever type.

  3. #3simonsrplant2014-02-15 06:07

    A quarter ton is hardly anything, you could use a ratchet strap or similar? I carry two, a 3.5ton and 5ton. Really handy bits of kit.

  4. #4mitch5042014-02-15 14:29

    I have used a Coffing brand, which is expensive, and I bought a cheap Harbor Freight one. I have had no trouble with either one. Simonsrplant, I thought the same thing until I used one. They are handy as a shirt pocket because of how small they are. There are many components that weigh less than 500 lbs that are awkward to handle, even with a helper. think starters, pumps, driveshafts, differentials, etc. I have used a ratchet strap for these, but you have much more length of lift.

  5. #5kiall19872014-02-15 14:41

    Simonsrplant i have 2 of the sealey 250kg ones brilliant handy thing for holding hoses out the way suspending A pump etc

  6. #6Dad52014-02-15 14:48

    I use one made by Gray Tools. I wouldn't be without it.

  7. #7his19112014-02-18 22:07

    I have s coffing. 1/2 ton that I love .its handy for rigging those smaller pieces that otherwise take 3 hands !

  8. #8Randy882014-02-18 22:20

    Those little one's are the best invention ever, I use them all the time and never had an issue with them, I bought the cheapest one I could find at the time.

  9. #9simonsrplant2014-02-19 13:34

    Thinking I'll keep my eyes open for a small one. A third hand is always useful.

  10. #10caterpillar0282014-02-19 14:20

    recently bought a 250kg tractel wll bravo leaver hoist very handy indeed used to laugh at these small hoists would have never bought one under 1 ton but i find myself using the small hoist for all kind of jobs

  11. #11Joeyslushr2014-03-07 23:10

    I've got a Jet brand and it's always in the truck. Handy to have

  12. #12Dualie2014-03-10 23:08

    coffing was always the gold standerd, but jet is also a good name

  13. #13Slidey2014-03-20 13:11

    A work colleague of mine was always giving me stick about how I solved so many problems with come-a-longs as they are called here in Australia. He didnt realise how handy they were until H&S announced that you had to have a rigging ticket to use one of any size. From wresting with 2'' 6000psi hoses to nudging an engine and pto assembly the 1/4'' it needed to get the bolt holes lined up the 500kg jobbie was invaluable

  14. #14kshansen2014-03-20 15:40

    I think of my little 500lb come-a-long as the helper they have been telling me I was going to be getting about 10 years ago. That little feller will hold things for as long as needed and don't mind if I go for coffee or Pee brake!

  15. #15simonsrplant2014-07-08 01:48

    You chaps have mentioned coffing hoists a bit... I'm in the market to get new now, what brands do you recommend? Always had Yale back in the UK. As for price, if it costs an extra hundred bucks to not let me down when it's thirty below and covered in coal dust, that's fine! If you get my drift?!

  16. #16norite2014-07-08 04:24

    CM (Columbus McKinnon) is the gold standard here, expensive though. Most of the asian come a longs such as Jet work well and are small, handy and a good bang for the buck.