Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chaincase removal? Bobcat 463

solamar ยท 2006-09-21 11:42

I just found multiple cracks radiating from the drive motor mounts on the chain case. Looks like I will need to drop the chain case to get enough access to repair. I have the Factory Service Manual but it does not get into chaincase removal. It looks simple enough, but It's hard to see from the top how much of the hydraulic system is attached to the top of the chaincase. I was wondering if any of you have attempted this before?

Replies5
  1. #1solamar2006-09-22 19:16

    Guess I'm on my own with this one... Here were the symptopms, in case anyone else runs into this. Loud banging/clunking. Thought for sure we had broken a chain and sucked the broken end into a sprocket. Then it would start working fine when not under load. Jacked up all four tires and all were connected through the chain line. Opened the chain case cover and all looked fine Heres some pics: http://www.solamarconstruction.com/Matt/Misc/Bobcat%20463/Chaincase%20with%20drive%20motors.jpg http://www.solamarconstruction.com/Matt/Misc/Bobcat%20463/Chaincase%20drive%20motor.jpg http://www.solamarconstruction.com/Matt/Misc/Bobcat%20463/Chaincase%20cracked%20mount.jpg http://www.solamarconstruction.com/Matt/Misc/Bobcat%20463/Chaincase%20out.jpg Hopefully I can weld up the cracks and add some reinforcement plating...

  2. #2Jeff D.2006-09-22 21:00

    I had similiar symtoms with my 543. It would bang, snap usually when turning or when pushing. I pulled it all down and found the rollers had been chewed off the drive chains. I didn't have any cracks in the case though....luckily. It's fun getting them endless chains back in there too. I figured since it was apart I'd replace the bearings and seals for the drive axles. I had too make a special tool to get the races out, and to install the new ones. Not fun. Probobly alot easier with the chaincase out like you've done. Good luck on your repair.

  3. #3Tigerotor77W2006-09-25 18:58

    Didn't see this thread... solamar, can you email me? gmnstrunr37 at yahoo point com with symbols instead of words!

  4. #4miKe F.2006-10-16 22:12

    Wow. Looks like a big job. How often do these give problems? Would ALL skidloaders have this drive system? Such as a CASE 90XT, Bobcat S300? I thought only my older bobcat had it, and I thought they were all gear driven... but I guess not...

  5. #5solamar2006-10-17 12:51

    I don't know that this is a common problem, but I do know that Bobcat offers a heavier duty replacement chaincase for the 463's. We beat the snot outta this small machine, many different operators and often time pushing blasted rock (also use solid foam filled tires). I'm honestly impressed that this machine has lasted as long as it has. I finally got the chaincase to the welder and wil be plating the inside of the case. I'll try to post pics of the repair.