Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chains for the rear of a 310SG ?

Backhoe310SG ยท 2010-02-09 11:39

Hi all, I figured if anyone would know the guys here would. My question is, Does anyone have or know if you can put tire chains on the rear of a 310SG? Dad and I have wondered that different times this winter. We have chains on the front, but with alot of the snow this winter there has been ice underneath. Not to mention we live in a hilly area, and just getting out can be a challenge. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Scott

Replies5
  1. #1Deere John2010-02-09 12:14

    No problem to put them on, if you have clearance on both the top and inside of the tire. My 310C came with the wheel spacer to give more clearance on the inside for chains. The kit consists of a 3-4" spacer for the wheel, and longer lug bolts. The problem with the kit is it moves the rear tires outside of the width of the front bucket by about 2 inches. That makes it a real PIA to do fine grading with, as your rear tires are climbing the windrow and sending the front bucket off grade. Not a big deal to swap seasonally I suppose, if you keep your standard length lug bolts.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2010-02-09 16:17

    Someone Posted this web site in the Skid steer section. Would be good if you have clearance problems, and they claim you can take them out for summer and reinstall them for winter. http://www.maxigripstore.com/

  3. #3Singletree2010-02-09 21:05

    I not sure about your clearances on your deere, but with my 580sl I turn my rear wheels inside out. This gave me 2" extra clearance, which made all the difference. The rim is not centered but offset where it bolts to the axle putting your rubber farther out and away from your tanks and frame. I also swapped the wheels left to right and right to left so the tread pattern is pointed in the right direction. This is not so important in winter when you have chains on but everything helps when you need traction. John

  4. #4Bartlanz2010-02-16 10:26

    I like the maxigrips! I had never seen those before, but they strike me as a nice alternative to chains, and they look like they should cost less!

  5. #5Bartlanz2010-02-16 10:53

    Lmao, they make them for boots, i am so in!