Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Challenger 95E

Shimmy1 · 2020-12-01 20:59

Serial 6KS00900. Any of you Cat guys able to get a guy some pages out of the service manual? Looking for the procedure to change seals on the drive axles. I haven't had a need for a service manual, and I've heard they are kind of hard to get? Thanks

Replies21
  1. #1Nige2020-12-02 11:57

    For Disassembly & Assembly look for SENR1745. A CD version is $365 new, paper $665. Which makes this one pretty good value IMHO. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...936909?hash=item2f263c1dcd:g:p9kAAOSw~Lpcw18A Are you talking aboput replacing Duo-Cone seals on the final drive.?

  2. #2Shimmy12020-12-02 13:06

    Yes. I procured a copy via Dropbox last night. 4200 pages. It appears that Cat recommends pulling the final off the tractor and servicing the drive hub vertically. Dealer wants $1800 per tractor to come to shop and do both. We have track belts off, and will have fluid drained. I'm contemplating just having them do it since that hub weighs like 300 lbs.

  3. #3Nige2020-12-02 13:46

    If you don't have more-than-adequate lifting equipment it's a potential finger-trapper.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2020-12-02 21:00

    If they offer any kind of service guarantee it my be worthwhile. But then there is an opportunity to learn new things to help you stay awake at night.

  5. #5Shimmy12020-12-02 21:14

    $365 for about 25% of the total manual? That covers the engine only, there are two other books for assembly/disassembly, plus a few more for testing and adjusting. Something tells me I did OK getting the Dropbox version with all of it.

  6. #6Shimmy12020-12-17 13:54

    Nige, on the bogie suspension pivot on this tractor, the book says 80W-90, but I know you always say 50W is just fine or better. Does this fall into that same category? It's basically the same as the pivot shaft on a dozer.

  7. #7Shimmy12020-12-17 15:20

    I guess I shouldn't be fussy, lol. Lantrax, John C, Junkyard, Mitch, anyone else that wants to weigh in, feel free. Thanks

  8. #8Shimmy12020-12-17 22:52

    Bump

  9. #9lantraxco2020-12-17 23:00

    LOL! I too like TDTO-50, and as Nige would mention, this 50W is the same viscosity as that 80W-90, they use different scales. I don't know if for this particular pivot point there would be a reason to prefer the GL lube over the drive train oil, but I wouldn't hesitate to use either. YMMV

  10. #10Shimmy12020-12-17 23:15

    Does 50 have the same load carrying ability that 80-90 has? If so, that's what I'll use. If gear lube would hold in the joint better, I'd use that instead. It's basically a pin/bushing arrangement, with seals to hold the oil in. The spindle is about 4" in diameter, each pivot arm has about 6" of bushing contact area, there are 2 of those. When the tractor is operating with a full load behind it, if you go over a ridge, there will be 30-40k pounds pivoting on that spindle. Not sure why I'm posting this, but maybe a little detail in the application might help.

  11. #11lantraxco2020-12-18 01:53

    I honestly can't answer that as I don't have the technical data to hand, but considering it lives in planetary drives with lower wear and lower temps that would suggest to me that it has better shear strength than a comparable GL lube. Anybody wanna jump in here?

  12. #12Nige2020-12-18 05:07

    Regarding the EP vs TO-4 in the pivots. TBH I’m not sure. I think that there will be more relative movement than a pivot shaft on the suspension pivot, and more rapid also. I like TO-4 for compartments with gears & bearings in them but I guess this has plain bushes, correct.? I suspect you’d be fine with TO-4 but I wouldn’t like to guarantee it.

  13. #13Nige2020-12-18 05:10

    There’s a thing. How does that pivot seal to the shaft on the back side.? A lip seal or a small Duo-Cone.?

  14. #14Shimmy12020-12-18 09:05

    A hybrid. It resembles one-half of a duo-cone: the sealing ring is nylon instead of metal, and the o-ring is square with a tapered end. The sealing ring just rides against the pivot arms.

  15. #15Nige2020-12-18 11:43

    So the seal that functions as a spring is not yellow and does not have a rubbery appearance..? In that case EP oil would not affect it I would imagine.

  16. #16Shimmy12020-12-18 13:45

    Red o-ring, black sealing ring that looks very similar to the sealing ring on a duo-cone.

  17. #17Nige2020-12-18 17:57

    I remember them, or at least something like them. They were used on oil-filled 994 dog bone pins back in the day.

  18. #18Shimmy12020-12-18 19:38

    So, 50 or 80-90?

  19. #19Bluox2020-12-19 00:39

    50 wt. is not the same oil as 80-90 so why would you not use what Cat calls for? Bob

  20. #20big ben2020-12-19 00:48

    Don’t know the technical in and outs but if the manual says 80w-90 then use that. Also boom pin joints like 988’s specify 80W-90. Maybe with the relative movement and load it is better on friction bearings than 50W ? Having said that D11T use 50W in the pivot shaft but less movement in that joint. Either way given most Agg tractors are not doing 1000 hrs per year either should be fine (assuming the seals on compatible with TDTO-50) but if it was mine it stick with 80W-90 for peace of mind

  21. #21Shimmy12020-12-19 11:50

    Easy boys, not trying to start a pissing match. I most always use what the book calls for, but since there always seems to be a discussion on 50 vs 80-90, I figured I'd ask. As a side note, the oil I drained out smelled more like 50 than gear oil as well. This joint does carry extreme pressure, and as Nige has said, pretty rapid movement, so I'm going to stick with gear oil. Thanks for the discussion.