Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

challenging Heavy Equipment Opertor

captdukes ยท 2015-04-24 23:56

I am challenging my ticket. Anyone find any resources that could be helpful? Like videos or practice tests. Drove log loader with grapple for over year. Not quite sure about somethings. Td

Replies9
  1. #1Logan2015-04-25 03:57

    Great question. Not a lot of material on the net but then I didn't look THAT hard I guess. I'm in the same boat.I have a trainer lined up with a govt training/assessing agency, but I've always liked learning by myself. I have taught myself to shovel, load, fleet, stack, grapple tracks etc and recently got my tickets for general forest excavator work and loading out. When shovelling however, I have found it is possible to risk life and limb very easily in hill country or even flat ground with big enough wood, when operating a small i.e. 23 tonne machine like mine. So I think I understand the risks and how to isolate them, but I am going to fork out a few $ and get some training from a bloke who has shovelled for a living and is now a qualified trainer, just to make sure I've covered all my bases. What things are you not quite sure about?

  2. #2captdukes2015-04-25 11:37

    heavy equipment operator infomation to challenge Redseal Just looking for resources online to challenge the redseal heavy equipment operator in BC. There is some general questions. The test is through ITA in BC.

  3. #3x-ka-v82015-04-30 09:17

    Hello captdukes, I am assuming you are going for your 'Heavy equipment operator Technician' with the Industry Training Authority (ITA)? In BC we don't have a red seal certification only alberta, you can still get your red seal but you have to go through the Albertan equivalent of the ITA, which I'm not sure of. Anyways back to your question about the resources for studying. I notice you are in BC, if by chance you are on the island you could borrow my books, if not I would suggest getting in contact with the nearest university that offers the Heavy Equipment Operator Program and talk with them (my buddy got in contact with the teachers and they hooked him up with previous students who sold there books for half price). I predict you will have a tough time finding exactly what you need on-line but to help you out on your search you should know that its kind of a three part program to become an apprentice. 'Road building and Heavy Equipment Construction Foundation' course, then once you pass that you move onto your 'Heavy Equipment Operator Technician' course and then once you pass that...THEN you have to find a 'Sponsor' (employer) and they will sign your log book for how many hours/tasks you've completed in your log book, then you send that log book in to the ITA, they will chat with your 'Sponsor' (employer), AND FINALLY you will be "endorsed on whichever piece(s) of euipment you were operating. If you want to challenge your certification I would make your first step to get in contact with the ITA. Here is a link to there page for how to challenge a trade. http://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprenticeship/challenging-exams Hope this helps!

  4. #4captdukes2015-05-06 04:48

    Hi steve, I tried posting a reply on the weekend but didn't work. You really explain the lay out of the course which is good. And thank you for taking the time and answering the thread. I tried to get some info from ITA but no much luck. I was wondering where to get some resources for 'Road building and Heavy Equipment Construction Foundation' course. I was wondering where to buy the books? And this 'Heavy Equipment Operator Technician' course. I have the hours on the loader. I challenged the test today but I never knew 50% the test because I never saw it. Thanks again for the info!

  5. #5x-ka-v82015-05-06 09:13

    Hey captdukes, yea I found the ITA pretty confusing myself I had to send at least 10 emails before I figured out what I wanted to figure out. I went to VIU so I bought my books at there library, I will do some rummaging around and try to find the books so I can at least give you the titles. Yea, I think you have to have the roadbuilders course first before you can challenge your Technician course (I could be wrong not sure), and to pass that test without the books! you'd haveta be the guy who wrote it lol. Here are the links to buy the books off of the net. https://www.crownpub.bc.ca/Product/Details/7960003223_S https://www.crownpub.bc.ca/Product/Details/7610003487_S#/?statesave=true Don't forget to buy a log book once you get started!

  6. #6captdukes2015-05-06 12:38

    Hi Steve, Thanks for the help! You the only person who actually explained the process. I asked four other groups about it. And no one knew a thing. I just got to order books. I will research it this week. Then wait for my test mark next week. Then order the books. Hopefully some practice quizzes in the module. Thanks, Trent

  7. #7x-ka-v82015-05-07 08:38

    Let me know how ya do!

  8. #8captdukes2015-05-07 14:15

    Hey Steve, Will let you know! It will be luck to pass without ever seeing half the course! Trent

  9. #9captdukes2015-05-30 00:27

    Hey Steve, I got 65%... crappy! It is kind of hard when only see half the course.