Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 720 water and steam in the cylinder head breather, Help!!!

Southbus · 2021-04-19 11:30

Friends, I recently did an engine tune-up by replacing trucks, metals and rings on this engine. Cummins 6ct 8.3 After about 40 hours, the engine began to consume excess coolant, more than 2 gallons per day. Today I noticed that there is a lot of vapor and coolant droplets coming out of the cylinder head breather. When I assembled the engine, I paid special attention to the protrusion of the liners, the cylinder head gasket was placed without any type of sealant and each bolt of the cylinder head was tightened with the corresponding torque values. The oil level has not risen and it does not look contaminated, however the oil cap is with a white coating. I think there is an internal leak, not visible. How to solve? I have heard of some ABRO brand liquid glass sealant Would this sealant be a good idea? I appreciate your advice and experiences using this product. Cesar Cesar

Replies1
  1. #1Coaldust2021-04-19 12:47

    I wouldn’t dump any sealant in at this point, especially if their is a chance it could end up in the crankcase where it will trash all those new parts. There are many things you could check. Such as the water pump. Make sure the weep hole isn’t plugged. Try to determine if you are getting any transfer of oil to the coolant. With a fresh in-frame, I’m always worried about a twisted liner o-ring. Especially, since it sounds like you are new to this. I’d pull the oil pan next and pressurize the cooling system. Look for the leak. Let us know what you find. Good luck