Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 720A

kb1785 · 2025-12-12 17:33

I am in need of a reverse transmission solenoid for my Champion 720A. I called my local Volvo dealer and when they looked the part number up it was obsolete. Champion part number 29749 which changed to a Volvo number 58149. Any leads on where to find this item would be appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Dutchboy2025-12-13 07:18

    Volvo Motor Graders Solenoid Valve NSN:4810-01-322-7579 P/N:58149 Model:7324553F1 Solenoid Valve NSN: 4810-01-322-7579 | Model: 7324553F1 A valve having two or more ports with valve stem or pilot needle in a normally open or closed position. It is specifically designed to stop or start or change the flow of fluid by means of the magnetic action of an electric coil on a... www.ctssurplus.com

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-12-13 22:58

    Elvaan Equipment Solutions in Canada may have one new or used if you can't find one. The link above from Dutchboy looks promising though.

  3. #3kb17852025-12-19 17:47

    I did some further checking of the reverse solenoid per the manual and the solenoid checks good on the ohm test and I ran 12 volts to it as a test and it is clicking in so I am doubting the solenoid is my problem. My symptoms are as follows; Start up machine, no codes and will shift into forward and reverse with no problems and also all gears of forward and reverse with no issues. After the grader warms up and is operated for a period of time (30 minutes to an hour) it stops shifting into reverse. All forward gears continue to shift properly but I am in neutral when I go to reverse. Sometimes I can get it to go into reverse if I am running full throttle but even then after a while that stops also. I can let the machine cool down for a few hours and it will go into reverse again and repeat the cycle. I thought the reverse solenoid magnet may have been getting weak but I don't think that's the case. I have read where the microswitch in the shift column may cause a problem but most of those issues where when the trans wouldn't shift either forward or reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

  4. #4highpockets22025-12-20 00:07

    You could pressure test reverse clutch lockup pressure at the solenoid cap. That may pinpoint either a low pressure/ leak or normal pressure failed clutch packs.

  5. #5highpockets22025-12-20 20:31

    the shaft assy with no gear on the upper end is your reverse. Mine had work clutches, paper ones that you could feel the trans pressurize the clutch servo but plates were worn out so no engagement. Upgraded to the newer bronze ones and air tested on the bench works good now. Put in today will hook everything up tomorrow and should be back on the road. Not too bad of a job.

  6. #6kb17852025-12-22 10:22

    Was your machine trans reverse slipping or not engaging at all. Also where did you purchase your parts?

  7. #7highpockets22025-12-23 01:23

    You could feel reverse clutch servo or hydro pack "engage"but machine would not back up in reverse at all. Purchased this way,previous owners replaced pump assy under radiator and suspected internal trans issue. I took a chance hoping it had clogged strainer or shift control issue. Parts were Purchased out of idaho at gear train supply, all clutches in stock for mine. I gave them the champion numbers and she sent the updated bronze frictions.

  8. #8Alusium2026-01-17 22:23

    Oil is getting hot?

  9. #9Silveroddo2026-01-18 17:08

    Thats great info.

  10. #10Colin12542026-06-20 00:54

    Not sure if you’re still having issues, but mine was doing the exact same thing. After running it hard for a day it came out of it. The code it was throwing was reverse solenoid short circuit, after I ran it hard for a good 8 hours it came out of it. My suspicion was that there was moisture in the solenoid, as it had sat for a number of years before I bought it