Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 72A series IV enGine oil in the transmission

Coldcreek · 2023-03-11 12:15

Good afternoon everyone, I was looking at a 720A Series IV grader today, thinking about buying it. The only issue it has is there is engine oil getting into the transmission. The current owners have replaced one of the pumps is somehow connected to the transmission. Has anyone seen this issue or know how the system works? The machine is in good shape and I know the owners and some of the history on it. I’m considering purchasing it if it’s not too difficult a repair.

Replies12
  1. #1Acecadet2023-03-11 13:33

    While there is a transmission pump on the engine, I can’t see engine oil getting into the transmission that way. I would think you have a rear main seal going bad on the engine. That would put engine oil in the wet clutch housing.

  2. #2Coldcreek2023-03-11 13:51

    According to the operator they would have to drain fluid out of the transmission aprox every 30hrs of operating time. I assume the transmission is the large rectangular shaped box the shaft off the engine drives. It looks very much like a loader set up. I don’t understand how engine oil could get into the transmission. The pump for the tranny runs off the engine but I assume the gears that run it are just splash lubricated.

  3. #320/802023-03-12 18:34

    Like Acecadet said

  4. #4Coldcreek2023-03-12 18:58

    Thank you both for your replies, I really appreciate it. I have since been talking to their former maintenance guy, he clarified things, apparently it was the other way around, the #10 transmission fluid was getting in the engine oil. And they would have to drain the engine due to the dilution of the engine oil. The rebuild the original pump, still had the issue. So purchased a new pump. And still had the same issue. It makesmore sense to get transmission oil in the engine oil than the other way around.

  5. #5Coldcreek2023-03-12 19:00

    20/80 where are you in NS? I’m in the HRM.

  6. #6Acecadet2023-03-12 19:58

    I wonder if the clutch housing drain is stopped up? This would cause excessive oil build up in the flywheel housing. Maybe even a stopped up vent would cause enough pressure to get in the crank seal.

  7. #7Coldcreek2023-03-12 20:08

    does the clutch housing get oil from the transmission? Though a plugged vent could do that. I agree. I’m going to purchase the machine I think. The rest of the machine is in good condition I can figure it out, once I get my hands on it. I’ll just offer them less than they want for the hassle.

  8. #8cuttin edge2023-03-12 20:38

    Our 730 would build up pressure and spray oil up the back of the cab through the vent. They put a small vented tank on the back of the cab that would hold the oil, and let it drain back into the transmission when there was no pressure. Maybe the vent line is plugged and the pressure is going into the main seal

  9. #9Coldcreek2023-03-12 21:15

    thank you, I appreciate that. I’ll check the vents.

  10. #1020/802023-03-13 07:46

    Eastern district

  11. #11Coldcreek2023-03-13 07:52

    that’s great, thank you for the input.

  12. #12Coldcreek2023-03-15 06:55

    Good morning, thanks again to the people who left a message. I spoke with the folks at Jade equipment. They also said it is either the rear main seal or the transmission pump. The gentleman told me that the wet clutch housing gets its oil from the transmission via a couple hoses. Ace cadet was right on the money, I didn’t realize that was the case, so I couldn’t understand how it was getting in via the rear seal. Thank you you again to everyone that commented on my question.