Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 730A transmission pressure issue

cheddarbob56 ยท 2015-10-07 16:36

Guys - looking for a little guidance here. Have a chance at buying a pretty cheap Champion 730A motor grader from a guy close to me. He bought it on an auction and was told that the transmission pressure gets low when it gets warmed up. He verified this driving it that once it gets warmed up it gets pretty weak. Anyone have any initial thoughts what it could be? I'm thinking of buying it from him but want to know what I might be up against if I do. Thanks. Chris

Replies7
  1. #1Fatgraderman2015-10-08 17:47

    What year? Hours? I'd guess the transmission pump, we had to replace a couple at (I think) around 12 000 hour mark. Both times the pump took out the accessory drive as well. But it's also quite possible that some things are worn in the transmission causing high clearances. Is it worse in certain gears?

  2. #2cheddarbob562015-10-12 15:54

    It's a 1987 model with about 10,000 hours on it. Not sure if it's worse or better in any different gears. I haven't actually tested it out yet just going by what the guy says.

  3. #3Silveroddo2015-10-12 19:47

    If you get the Serial # off of it a guy could find out which trans it is for starters. One thing I've noticed over and over again is that a lot of peoples "1987" can actually be a '79, '81,'82, Etc. That vintage of Champions had a few different options and the S/N will shed some light on that. Do you know what the motor is and how many speeds the trans is?

  4. #4cheddarbob562015-10-12 22:40

    Serial # is 177391850788. It has an 8.3 Cummins in it. Not sure on speeds.

  5. #5Fatgraderman2015-10-13 00:46

    Okay. I'm used to them being 5 digits long. 1987 should still be the 8400. And I'd be pretty certain that it will have been apart a couple of times before. Champion changed to a more aggressive friction in the early 90's and once everything got changed over to that, problem seemed to be solved. Should be 8 speeds forward and 4 reverse if it's the 8400.

  6. #6DB22015-10-13 21:22

    18507 is the 5 digit number. 88 indicates the year I believe

  7. #7[email protected]2024-03-25 08:36

    Hello there, We've a Champion 740 (Series I). The machine the using the manual transmission with two sticks. I trust the transmission is Gearco 9135. We need some oil seals for both input and output drive shafts. Can someone kindly assist with information on the dimensions of the seals. Also kindly suggest where they could be bought. My regards.