Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

change controls on a komatsu

gwhammy ยท 2017-02-28 16:56

I just got an older 1992 komatsu pc 200 to work in brush and rough stuff. The controls are wrong for me. I like the bucket and crowd in the same hand and boom and swing in the other. This machine doesn't have a switching valve so I'm guessing it needs the pilot hoses changed. Does anyone have a diagram on which hoses to switch?

Replies20
  1. #1John C.2017-02-28 23:40

    Do you know if it is a Dash 3 or a Dash 5?

  2. #2gwhammy2017-03-03 19:13

    dash 5

  3. #3John C.2017-03-03 22:03

    I don't have a drawing of the Dash 5 or Dash 3. You haven't mentioned which hand you like the controls to be on. standard has the swing and arm on the left joy stick. The easiest way is at the shuttle valves behind the cab but moving a control function to the opposite handle will be aggravating. You will have to trace the hoses to which shuttle valve and then figure if you have enough hose to reach the opposite side shuttle valve. I would suggest it might be easier to get used to what is there. The Dash 6 put a manifold block in a vertical stick behind the cab with quick coupled hoses. It was pretty easy once you figured which hose went where.

  4. #4GregsHD2017-03-03 22:40

    I second this, I learned on (ISO) John Deere controls then got used to (SAE what you have) Cat control pattern. Pretty near every machine around my parts has SAE controls except for older John Deere backhoes. But to each there own!

  5. #5gwhammy2017-03-04 05:19

    I'm used to the crowd and bucket in one hand and boom and swing in the other. I have two other backhoes with the controls that way. My brother in law also runs the ISO controls and runs my equipment some when he has time so you see my problem. I have run both controls in the same day but it's really hard when you are in tight spots. I dig around utilities some on commercial work and can't afford a mistake because of different controls.

  6. #6GregsHD2017-03-04 12:29

    I find it's usually easier to trace the pilot lines from the main control valve to the block under/behind the cab. Having a good helper on the other end will make it that much easier. Telephone cable or colored zip ties work great for marking the lines.

  7. #7hydraulichec2017-03-04 12:37

    Agreed. Usually easier working back from the main valve, to find lines needing to be switched. And yes, if your used to something else. It can be real tricky if your in something different. Good luck.

  8. #8farmboy5552017-03-05 09:09

    I would also have to change it to the pattern I'm use to, good way to tear something up or get someone hurt. Operating different machine with different patterns

  9. #9cuttin edge2017-03-05 09:36

    I work with a guy that can go from one pattern to the other with no issue, and he does fine work. I prefer the excavator pattern, and if I jump on a back hoe, I look like a fool. If I'm on a back hoe for a couple of days, then jump back on an excavator, I get confused again. The newer back hoes have the option of both patterns, so I always select excavator, but even though Lloyd is comfortable with both, he selects back hoe. He said he associates boom in your face with back hoe, and off to the side with excavator. But I do agree that it is much nicer to operate controls you are used to.

  10. #10treemuncher2017-03-05 10:06

    I was in the same situation when I first purchased my PC200LC-6. At first, I changed over my control lines to left handed boom. But, the more I thought about it, the more sense the sae controls with boom and bucket on the right made more sense as it was more logical to have that type of pattern. So, I forced myself to learn sae controls. Any new control pattern that I've learned, I found the easiest way is 15 minutes on the machine and then break for a while. Give your brain time to adjust to it. Get back on and do it again. Recite, "boom up, boom up, boom up" while raising boom. Do the same for the other controls. Work 15 - 30 minutes at a span and rest your head 30 minutes. Repeat. I started with a Hein Werner C-12 with 2 hand and 2 foot controls. My second excavator was a Case Drott 35 with 2 hand and 2 foot controls that were mirrored patterns. That was a pain to learn due to the mirror image but I would run both machines all day and NEVER miss a lick once my head was wrapped around the pattern. Then I added a small tractor backhoe with left hand boom joysticks and then the Komatsu with right hand boom. As long as I owned and kept running all of the equipment every couple of months, I never missed a beat. Today, I only run sae (right hand boom-bucket) but some of my other machines when going from track to articulated is almost mirrored when steering backwards. Never a problem as long as I continue to run each one every few months. It's better to be able to run anything efficiently than limit yourself to one control pattern only.

  11. #11gwhammy2017-03-05 18:22

    Might be better but I'm old and set in my ways. If I rent any machines they all have switchable controls so it really not a problem on that end. Just guessing but this probably isn't a bad job just need to find time to do it.

  12. #12Willie B2017-03-05 19:32

    Crowd, and bucket are fine motor functions. I like to do them right handed. Mostly I curl, and crowd at once. In my mind swing, and boom are related functions. Since the left hand isn't busy except nose picking, or scratching, maybe swatting bugs, I want to move the boom with left. Switching wastes time from CAT to JD and back. Are you talking about pilot controls? Willie

  13. #13gwhammy2017-03-06 17:34

    Pilot controls, I just called a heavy equipment shop I use and he is going to look it up. I did some looking at it and the lines do look like I can switch them but the crowd pilot has a tee where one of the pilot lines go to the valve. I can't find where it goes to but thinking it is on the crowd side and tells something to up the volume if that makes sense?

  14. #14John C.2017-03-06 19:08

    The crowd has two valves feeding into the circuit when you extend the stick out. That way you have two pump flow for a fast out. When you bring the stick towards you it has two pumps going to the cylinder but only one return. This keeps the stick from hitting straight up and down and then going limp until the pumps catch up. The boom also has a two pump function with two valves. That's why I say it can be done but you better know what you are doing and it will take a bit of time to figure which pilot hose can get swapped with the other pilot and still have the machine work properly.

  15. #15hydraulichec2017-03-06 19:28

    When switching controls. The boom and crowd stayed in the same place. It was the swing and bucket that switched hands.

  16. #16gwhammy2017-03-06 20:27

    The bucket and swing stay the same it's the crowd and boom that switch unless all of my backhoes are wrong! Left hand should be swing/boom, right should be bucket/crowd. That's what I call standard backhoe controls.

  17. #17hydraulichec2017-03-06 20:36

    Ya I think your right. See its even confusing thinking of the controls. Not to mention operating.

  18. #18gwhammy2017-03-07 19:37

    Well simple as calling the closest komatsu dealer, service guy was real nice and knew the machine and previous owner. He sent a diagram which didn't match what I had. Called him 10 minutes before they close and he was nice enough to send the diagram that fit my machine. Super simple to change. Thanks for all the help.

  19. #19bmyrer2024-12-21 16:49

    hey anyone have a diagram on a 2012 PC 60-8 KOMATSU to change control pattern from cat to john deer thanks

  20. #20cuttin edge2024-12-21 18:48

    Better to start a new thread than revive an old one. Better chance of being seen