Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing the Oil in the Final Drive Gearbox

finaldriveparts · 2016-06-07 14:03

Did you know that a general rule of thumb is that the life of your final drive gearbox is proportional to how frequently the oil is changed ? That’s why one of the important maintenance tasks for a final drive is to regularly check the oil on the planetary side. Ideally, you should check the oil level about once every 100 hours of operation, and change the oil out at least once a year. Here are some tips to help you do this as painlessly as possible.

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2016-06-08 10:09

    Very important information, thank you for sharing

  2. #2MrFuso2016-07-06 13:27

    Oil is pretty cheap compared to the replacement cost of a new final drive. I just change mine when I do an engine oil change, then I'll never forget. Of course, the larger the machine, the more oil / cost, but still probably cheaper than a new or rebuilt final drive.

  3. #3melli2016-07-14 21:31

    I think my manual said once every 500hrs (331). When I first got it, a thousand hrs ago, it was wholly in need of a change. I've changed it three or four times since...old oil comes out looking reasonable now.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-07-14 23:51

    I tell my customers 500 hrs. or once a year whether you move the machine or not.

  5. #5melli2016-07-15 22:25

    Bloody paranoia! I changed mine yet again today...happy???! Thankfully, one of the easier things to do on my machine. No shiny bits came out, so I suspect all is good. No idea why the oil is so black all the time...never understood how a few gears could mess up the oil. Note: they were both full of oil, so no leaks...

  6. #6lantraxco2016-07-16 00:05

    Try changing over to CAT TDTO 50, I think you'll find it will clean up after a couple changes.

  7. #7melli2016-07-16 01:23

    Other than getting that stuff at a Cat Dealer, I cannot seem to find a place (via online) where I can get it. A Cat Dealer is out of the question, at the moment, as I would be trekking for a day. But if I do make a trip into town, I will get it and see how it flies...thx