Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Changing top roller

Keith308 · 2021-05-15 18:51

Hey looking for a little advice again. Got a cat 308ccr top roller got a little messed up. Curious if anyone has ever changed one on this style machine. New one won’t be in till Monday so I thought I would take it apart but it’s kick my but. Keep snapping Allen wrenches. Is there something I’m not catching that I’ve got to do first?

Replies5
  1. #1Tones2021-05-15 19:59

    Are the Allen keys impact type that you're using with a breaker bar? If so there's your problem.

  2. #2Keith3082021-05-15 21:05

    Yea the are I used an impact and that wouldn’t break it free and it wasn’t a breaker bar just a regular 1/2 ratchet. Just didn’t think they would be that hard to budge

  3. #3Nige2021-05-15 21:59

    They're installed with thread lock. That could explain why you're having trouble. Maybe a bit of heat on the side of the support that has the threads in it.?

  4. #4Tones2021-05-15 23:41

    Keith impact tools are made of a softer material than conventional tools. If you have a conventional Allen key cut a short length off it so one goes into the bolt and the other goes into a socket then swing on it. Even with a cheater it may get a twist in it but the ends should remain good. Plus what Nige says.

  5. #5heymccall2021-05-16 10:53