Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

charge pressure adjustment?

darren98 ยท 2012-05-26 20:34

anyone know how to adjust the charge pressure on a asv pt 60 ? I downloaded the service manual from trackloaders.com ,it shows how to adj for the loader but they never show you for the transmission. I'm trying to complete a job on a steep slope and the transmission is sometimes completely unresponsive for a min or two then works but the joystick pulsates violently on my hand after the machine starts to move again. I just bought this machine 2 weeks ago and havent made a dime with it yet. What a kick in the butt. Also machine will creep down the hill without moving the joystick as if the automatic brake is not engaging all the way. Any help would be great. Thanks

Replies18
  1. #174inchShovel2012-05-26 23:26

    I think more important is to first check the charge pressure with a guage and find out if it is out of spec. It does sound like a charge pressure problem, keep in mind that the seat switch, lap bar switch, and cab door switch all work by cutting charge pressure. Is the problem worse when on a slope? How many hours? The PT 60 is a heck of a good machine, so maybe it is something minor and you will come out on top.

  2. #2darren982012-05-27 08:12

    Thanks 74inchshovel. it looks like the previous owner bypassed the seat swiitch. i am trying to find out where to buy a test gauge. do you know what the difference is between pilot pressure and charge pressure is ? Or are they the same thing ? Thank you for your help

  3. #3darren982012-05-27 08:20

    Yes problem is worse on a slope but also does it on level ground. machine has 1900 hrs on it. i was also going to change hyd. filter.

  4. #474inchShovel2012-05-28 00:12

    I do believe that charge pressure is delivered to the pilot block, but am unsure if it is reduced from there. A call to ASV/TEREX would answer that and maybe help on the overall problem. In my service manual, it says " pilot pressure required to move spools-180-220 PSI" It also says that charge pressure is 400-450 It does not come right out and say what pilot pressure is though. If you pull hyd. filter, have a look. If it is like mine, it will have no canister, so very easy to inspect. My RC 30 has had a problem in the past where a hose clamp would break on the suction side of the gear pump, and at rest shut off it would drip a little, but running would pull air into the system and cause pilot issues a little like you have.

  5. #5darren982012-05-28 14:48

    Thanks again shovel for your help. i will call terex this week and in the meantime i will look for leaks where it may be sucking air. ill keep you posted thanks.

  6. #6darren982012-05-31 21:17

    Ok talked to asv tech today and also tech at local dealer. Local dealer thinks it may be the joystick has gone bad rexroth 4th6. I am still waiting on hydraulic fittings to come in so I can test charge pressure although tech does not think that is the problem. Local dealer offered me to borrow his spare joystick and swap it out with mine to see if this is the problem before dropping $ 750.00 for nothing.

  7. #7darren982012-06-13 21:26

    Ok i just checked all relieve valves for blown out washers or o rings. they were all fine. however now machine wont move at all. could there be air in the pump and if so where would be the best place to drain the air?

  8. #874inchShovel2012-06-13 23:02

    You have checked the hydraulic level, right? Doubt there is air in the pump(s), unless fluid is very low. That is not to say the charge pump (gear pump) could not be pulling air on the suction side and it finding its way to pilot system. I had this happen on a RC 30. Tough to diagnose over the internet, but I always look at the electronics 1st, lap bar switch, seat switch, cab door switch would all cause a no go. Any problems with loader controls? They all use the same pilot pressure, if loader controls work, that rules alot of stuff out.

  9. #9darren982012-06-13 23:53

    The fluid level is between the marks. the loader works ok just no travel. it had been acting funny last week and both tracks would just stop. Then when digging out of a pile of loose fill tracks would stop again and loader would lose most of its power. i think i am hearing the relief valves opening which is why i pulled and checked for blown o rings. but now tracks wont move at but loader does. the shop manual says maybe leak to pilot generation block. i checked that and its tight. i am at a complete loss of ideas and loosing money by the day. any thoughts?

  10. #1074inchShovel2012-06-14 00:02

    Yeah, the noise you hear could be the solenoids on the pilot block, I know on my 60 if I lift the seat bar I can hear them open and shut. By loader, I mean bucket curl, lift-does that work ok?

  11. #1174inchShovel2012-06-14 00:29

    NM, I just re-read your post. If the loader works fine, you should have good pilot pressure. Does the loader still work fine when the tracks lose most of the power?

  12. #12darren982012-06-14 06:35

    No when tracks start to start/ stop or hesitate the bucket and loader arms loose most of its power. this only happens when tracks are having a problem. When not traveking loader works good.

  13. #1374inchShovel2012-06-15 20:46

    Well in a way this is good news, if bucket and tracks fail together, its pretty safe to rule out a pump, motor problem, they are on different pumps. Could still be charge/pilot problem. Really need to see what charge pressure is doing, kind of guess work now until you know. One thing you need to try is when the machine is not moving and giving you problems, raise and lower the seat bar a few times with the key in the run position and the motor off. You should hear a very definite click from below your feet, under the floorboard. This is solenoid on pilot block clicking on-off. Hope this helps.

  14. #14darren982012-06-16 10:18

    Charge pressure is at 400 psi. when i put lap bar down it drops for a split second and returns to 400. The loader works fine and loses no pressure when cycled. when. travel joystick is moved i hear nothing no pressure drop or anything. almost as if its not getting oil. i have oil to everthing but it doesnt seem to have alot f pressure. the clicking noise your talking about i assume is the selonoide spools ? Do you know how to check them ? I have alreadt replaced the joystick and still no luck. i think i recall a popping noise a few weeks ago and assumed it was the relieve valves. i checked all o rings and washers and they were good. ever since i removed them the machine wont travel at all after i re installed them. now i cant even get it to the dealer. i really need a elect diagram and also a hydraulic one. i down loader one from trackloader parts website but no elect in it and no flow direstion on hyd. im pretty much out of my mind at this point.

  15. #1574inchShovel2012-06-17 14:03

    I understand you are frustrated. Keep this in mind. 1) This is a great machine, work out the bugs and away you go. 2) This machine is really no more complicated than it needs to be, for this day and age its kind of simple. No computors, mechanically injected, minamal electronics etc. 3) ASV/Terex are great when it come to customer support. At this point you have some info for them, charge pressure, and they have way more knowledge about this than I do. Use this resource. Is it completely dead in the water? If I had to bet, it would be pilot solenioid on pilot block, though you say it is making the clicking noise. One thing I would like to know, which relief valves did you pull, and it seems the problem was worse after you put it back together. (?) Just for grins, check and see how the previous owner bypassed the seat switch- if it was done in the field it might be nothing more than bare wires just taped together. Its worth a look. Keeps us informed

  16. #16darren982012-06-17 20:08

    Hi. He bypassed seat switch with a scotch lock of all things. Nothing like cutting the wire almost in half. Anyway yes i hear the solenoid click when i put the lap bar down. But shouldnt 2 of them click seeing how the loader is on a diffenent circuit? I have contacted asv several times and gotten no where except farther in debt lol. I will try again with new info I have. I was going to hook up a pressure gauge on hose going to joystick. I know there is 400 psi in generation block but I dont know if its going to joystick. I am guessing if it is not then it would be a selonoid spool. I will also check the cont. on spool. It just seems like the oil isnt under any pressure. I cracked the hose and oil comes out but not 400 psi of it. The relieves i pulled and checked are the 4 large ones with o rings and nylon washers on the what would be passenger side of machine halfway up pump. And to answer your question yes it is completely dead in the water. Although the loader still works fine. I saw something you posted on another forum a few years ago (I cant find it now) you guys were talking about a problems with asv's pilots. Someone had a similar problem to mine before mine completely went. He said it ended up being a block attached to the joy stick ? I dont think he was referring to the generation block. I cant remember what he called it. I think he had a rc 50 or 80. Any idea if asv still uses these ? Someone else posted that asv fixed the problem. Thanks.

  17. #1774inchShovel2012-06-17 22:21

    Actually, there are 2 solenoids on the block, one is used for pilot pressure to both loader controls and drive pumps, the other is for aux. hydraulics. When bar is lifted, only one should click. If you downloaded manual, look under hydraulics, you should see how everything is tied to one solenoid, I dont know if they will interchange. They seem to have the same part #, maybe switch the solenoids? If you replaced left side control, the block should have been on Joystick. (?). Find out from ASV what Pilot pressure should be, let me know for my own information. As far as the resolution block, I really doubt it is the problem, as what you have wrong effects both loader and drive. What these two have in common is pilot pressure and charge pressure to pilot manifold, which appears to be in spec. At this point, I would check for pilot pressure coming out of manifold, should be a test port for it. The fact pilot solenoid "Clicks" only tells us it is not an electrical problem having to do with solenoid. The wiring is doing what it is supposed to. I dont know if there is some sort of pilot relief valve, seems there has to be, wonder if it is hung open? The reliefs you pulled, were they on the tandom pump assembly? Good luck

  18. #18darren982012-06-19 22:19

    The generation block on my machine has 5 selonoid's. the 2 on the engine side of block are the da drive and the other is the 2 speed. The 3 on the other side facing the bucket are aux. hyds and the brake. I swapped the 2 speed and the da drive spools and selonoid 's to check if one of them was bad and machine still wont move. I also checked for power at the Da drive and the 2 speed and both have power. The loader still works which should rule out a safety circuit. I towed machine backwards about 3 feet to make room in the shop and it moved freely with tracks turning without much pulling effort. I am guessing the brake is not engaged for some reason.When I let machine idle all hoses were warm to the touch except those going to travel joystick. Even asv tech is running out of directions to steer me in. I have contacted previous ower to see if he bypassed anything else and to see if he has any service records. I will keep you posted. Thanks