Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Charging per hour for excavator

Sk1970 · 2022-10-22 21:45

How much are people charging for 60,000 pound excavator per hour? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1f311fr12022-10-24 21:26

    Mobilize in and out with in 25 miles $1000.00 each way. $300.00-$350.00 per hour depending on fuel prices and other variables. This is around Nashville, TN which right now is a boom area. This is for an owned machine, if you rent one 2 1/2 times the rent. If you rent for a month use the weekly rent $ for your factor.

  2. #2Lagwagon2022-10-25 09:58

    W wowzers! I charge $160/hr au, ($105/hr us) with my 21 tonne machines so around 50,000 pounds. I do rural work and truck costs me $160/hr also. I live in a booming area of Australia too, was thinking to up my rate to $170/hr, might have to go more but I don’t need the money, just enjoy the work.

  3. #3Phantom9702022-10-29 05:41

    That’s absurd Lagwagon What area? Iam in 100% Ag excavations northern Riverina NSW 17T $190 fuel included 21T $220 fuel included 33T $280 fuel included truck is hourly rate equal to what digger is on the back, but I don’t travel very far. 60-80km tops prices will vary depending on the bowser price I know a bloke that charges $160 for a 38T machine, permanent farm based, fuel supplied. It makes my hair stand up on end thinking what a low ball price it is. But like you he doesn’t need it, just enjoys it. Retiree age.

  4. #4Lagwagon2022-10-29 09:29

    I’m south coast WA, travel 50k’s tops and also charge with fuel included. I’m certainly not a retiree but I’m very comfortable financially and own my machines outright. I’m not the best (or fastest) operator so charging under market rate feels right to me. It’s not like I’m undercutting anyone as machines are hard to come by down here doing rural due to all the civil projects. I have people stopping on the highway and walking across paddocks to get my attention, they explain they’ve been waiting over a year for a machine. So when you explain haulage rate do you mean truck rate is equal to digger rate, so hourly rate x2?

  5. #5Phantom9702022-10-30 06:10

    My truck rate is just hourly based on the tonnage of digger on the back. Minimum 1 hr charge even if it’s only 15min to the next farm. If I do a lot of on farm moves I don’t charge for the truck but just leave the digger running while it’s on the back I only have a crappy old truck and float anyway so it’s not like Iam paying for a $250k setup like others around the place. I cannot for the life of me understand how they make it work So when you say booming, are you talking Ag, or Civil, or just urban stuff? Sounds like I should move over, getting a bit sick of this place

  6. #6Lagwagon2022-11-03 23:57

    All of the above, post covid people want out of the cities so property prices have gone through the roof, especially small acreage and farms, guess it’s supply and demand. It’s very lush down here due to the rainfall, almost a different climate completely to Perth and northwards. Every block that gets snapped up normally needs some sort of establishment, clearing, drainage, dams etc. Further to this the mining sector is booming again so there’s been a drain on operators, our once big forestry industry is a mere shell of its previous size, there’s machines parked up all over the place. Then there’s all the civil works going on, so all in all, too much work, not enough operators or machines. I bumped into a old mate at the hardware store a few weeks ago and he’s a big land owner, at least 15,000 acres, probably well more I dunno but he said he’s got 90 dams to clean out, doesn’t know when he wants to start but he’ll give me a call. It’s times like these I wish I had my own truck like you do, no matter how busted-ass it is. I’m not sure how I’m going to work out costing so many float moves and I’m sure not walking my machine all over the countryside.

  7. #7Phantom9702022-11-04 07:01

    Sounds like a nice spot. Re: if or when you get one I’d strongly suggest the east coast auctions. Pickles, Manheim, Ritchie Bros. We are so heavily populated with trucks over here it’s good for buyers. They are usually well priced. Tri floats are fairly common as well. Loadshift.com and other websites will get freight moved cheap. back to your hourly rate, you really should get it up there over $200. Sounds like all these lifestyle block people have no problems with money . And as for farmers, we’ll jam the price into them. There’s no such thing as a “poor” farmer in this country. desilting dams is hard on your slew motor. If they are dry, often a big loader is way quicker and more efficient. Worth done thought, it maybe another toy you could add to your Arsenal and use else where. If you end up with that job, I would charge a one off set fee for each truck move and just get old mate poor farmer to fill the truck with juice.