Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Charging problems with 1992 580 super k

Norm Briere · 2017-12-02 21:06

I have replaced the alternator and checked all connections but still not getting any charge to the battery or instrument panel. I am not very good with a voltmeter and don't really know what to look for. I checked the belt and pulled the instrument panel out ( lost half the screws ) and still can't get power. I disconnected the ground while it was running and it stalled. Earlier, I was getting fluctuating power to the tach but now I don't get anything. Help!!!

Replies6
  1. #1Bls repair2017-12-03 19:21

    Check fuses?

  2. #2Norm Briere2017-12-03 19:23

    Yes

  3. #3Norm Briere2017-12-03 22:53

    I checked the fuse for the tach and was good but after your comment i pulled and checked every fuse and the signal light fuse was blown I replaced it and voila- system is charging and gauges all working! Who would of thunk. Thanks for your help.

  4. #4Bls repair2017-12-04 06:44

    They have things tied togeather that have no relationship

  5. #5DMiller2017-12-06 08:41

    A great deal of fuses are multi function but they only indicate primary on the markings. Need to get a service manual with a wiring diagram, saves guesswork.

  6. #6Bls repair2017-12-06 09:07

    Whenever I have electrical problem I’ll check all fuses and circuits breakers.