This started showing up on my pay check at the start of the year. They deduct 15 a week to cover vehicle expenses for the company vehicle, in my case a 3500 with a 12' bed and toolboxes and pipe rack. Anybody else seeing this deduction? I can't complain about the cost. I cannot drive my TDI beetle to and from work for that, and it gets 46 MPG! I briefly thought about parking the truck and doing just that, until I did the maths.
We have had taxable benefit here in Canada for quite a while. Private industry tended to ignore the whole thing but we were Government. The high ups had to pay for their cars so we had to pay for the privilege of driving a service truck home. At one point, the company paid the tax for us. We had to pay tax on that too. It was distasteful to pay but still cheaper than driving my own truck.
I think my brother's company does that for insurance but they can pretty much drive the truck anywhere for personal use.
I can see that as a fair trade. Taking money out of people’s check without at least a heads up is pretty crappy. Company circling the toilet or a manager just worried about their bonus?
I think it may have been a change in the laws. It is a benefit to us. The cool thing is, I can ask about it and I will.
Ive seen a few different agreements from companies and a lot of people use the truck in the off time that won't make the insurance company happy if a wreck occured. His is probably the best I know about, I can't remember the cost it's around $250 a year, and that company has golden handcuffs with salesman driving new f250 diesels. I've had employers mess with pay being in the oilfield they often are not great people being managers. I did just get fired yesterday from one acting like a child.
I just made a decision to start my pension in May. After that I can only work 50 hours a month, so I'll park it in their yard and stop using it at all.
It must be a new tax or insurance thing as $15 a week doesn't get the truck out of the driveway.
Exactly! It does not get my 46 MPG diesel beetle back and forth for a week either.