I've heard and answered the question about the seal and checking the amount of wear in the slewing bearing a number of times now. I made a video to show the process.
Thanks for the video. I'll have to check mine some time. What is the spec for out of spec on the play?
I’ve never had a factory guy actually acknowledge that there was a maximum. You will feel it in cab when you get to 0.075 and possibly see metal flakes in the grease. I’ve seen them over 0.100 before and had to tell the owners they were in danger of someone getting hurt.
Good day Information gleaned from manufacturer may be helpfu, sorry the file is a little heavyl. Kind regards Uffex
The allowable wear is based on bearing diameter and ball diameter. I actually have Kaydon procedure and wear limits somewhere. Interesting thing...bearing manufactures base allowable wear on original play in bearing which no manufacturer checks at assembly.
Thank you Uffex for the publication. I think is is well done. I use the car body of the machine only because most machines are too small to be able to mount my dial indicator on. I've never seen a reason to measure axle play as all the damage to the races that I have observed when the bearing was dismantled had the damage on the top and bottom of the races. The measurements that I gave are based on experience only. Over my career I have measured hundreds of machines as part of doing thousands of machine inspections. BSAA65LB, Would it be possible to apply a percentage calculator to the measurement to arrive at a replacement wear limit? Most were just replaced when the swing pinion seal leaked or the operator just found the movement aggravating enough that their whining to the owner got it considered and done.
Good day John Great stuff John I must eat humble pie the document I posted was half edited version (Friday night and a couple of whiskey's) I have amended what could be confusing. Kind regards Uffex
Very nice. Thanks!