I'm going to check out a 1993 D4H LGP. Besides the obvious undercarriage wear points what are some weak points to check for? Owner says it has 280 hours on a rebuilt transmission, repacked hydraulic cylinders, blade is tight. Also is the D4H considered a finishing machine or can it do some serious pushing? I was told the H series is built like a tank, good old fashioned horsepower. Your thoughts? Thanks
One weak point is the roller frame where the track adjuster compartment is. They tend to crack from the opening down the roller frame. Another point to check for cracks is where the roller frame oscillating shaft flange is. Mine has the 105hp engine... and its a very good pusher. Grampa
Thanks Grampa! This one is a D4H series 2 which I believe is 95 hp. I'll be checking those frames.
I have not had any issues with mine so far.....96 xl3......good pusher...good finisher.....nice to have a ripper for tight soils.....very versatile smaller machine....3750hrs so far
This D4H has 7300 hours. Owner says doesn't use oil but will find out tomorrow. I looked at newer and bigger dozers but will consider something older and more simple to fix. I'm not sure what happens to a hystat when it has trouble, do you just pay some huge money for a pump or what? The D4H has the weight and with 30 inch pads should cover some soft ground.
Checked it out, aftermarket rattle cab with aftermarket air conditioning that was roof mounted, the blower vents for heat or cold air positioned to blow directly in the eyes. Owner didn't provide reciepts for transmission rebuild so I'll pass on this one. Checked out a 1997 series 3 but seemed weak, owner couldn't get his story straight on actual hours and how long he owned it so passed that up as well. The good news(I hope) is I bought a D5M, it'll need undercarriage work in time but after trying it out pushing for 1 hour I really liked it and the price was right. Thanks for your help.
we also have a D5M .....pretty similar to the D4H in what it will do.......a bit more HP, burns more, Fuel lil newer, does the same work....XL or LGP?
The D5M is a 2001 LGP. I sure like the finger tip steer. I have heard so much about ftc giving problems on the D6M but was told there have been updates and now less problems. I bought a set of sweeps for it so will have to do a bit of welding. The undercarriage will get me through the winter but the grousers are low and I don't want to be spinning on frozen ground so I might regrouser but it's a lot of welding, will price out new pads but don't want to change pads for just the winter. Maybe I'll just weld on ice type grousers, a lot less welding. Will see what happens. I should get manuals for it so I know how to change all oils. Another thing I like is the cab, solid and quiet. Blade is tight and in good shape. Can't wait to put it to work!
How many hours on the D5M , I'm looking at one as well. The one I'm looking at has 5000Hrs. I know the engines are good for that , but the rest? I've seen them with over 12k hrs , but wonder what has been done to them. I'm happy with my machine , its a 39 Komatsu , but I really want to go to a cab. I'll need a bigger trailer as well. I owned a 5M earlier on and sold it when the economy tanked . Its a good size machine.
i guess we are going to need some pictures
The D5M has 9000 hours, started right away and run strong. I like the cab, solid, no sqeeks or rattles, nice and warm. I feel more confident buying a crawler with a poor undercarriage as that is more than likely why the guy sold it. Only problem is getting older and having to work like a bear to change it. Bottom rollers are good. I won't have it home until the end of the week and then get some pictures.