Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cherry here.

JohnnyCarcinogen ยท 2019-08-03 23:10

Hi. I'm a "Heavy Equipment Technician II" with a municipal landfill. I have 3 years of OTJ experience at my job, plus an Associates paid for by the tax payer (mmmmm, GI Bill) in Diesel Technology. I enjoy the hell out of my job turning wrenches on trash equipment, hate operators for being negligent, and have used this forum as a resource to help me figure small problems out at work. I figured I probably should make an account just in case someone asks a question about tarp machines, tippers, Cat 836 series compactors, and the M2A2 Bradley.

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612019-08-04 05:27

    Welcome to HEF Johnny !

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-08-04 10:11

    That's a good spread of experience. Welcome.

  3. #3JohnnyCarcinogen2019-08-05 23:11

    I'd not call it that. The place I'm working at is a 2nd retirement. I used to be an 11B (heavy mech) in the army. At some point, going to mental health resulted in a medical retirement, and I eventually ended up taking tech school courses (thanks for paying your taxes) that got me a "diesel tech" degree. I'm now a "tech" (cough, parts changer) at a landfill, mostly because the director of solid waste and I used to be in the same Everquest guild 20 years ago. Pretty lame, but it helps pay the bills and is setting me up for a 2nd retirement.

  4. #4Delmer2019-08-06 09:13

    Welcome. There's nothing wrong with changing parts, as long as you get the right one eventually. Don't forget how hard it is to find people to show up at a landfill and crawl under that stuff, and have half a brain that they'll USE. Be thankful for the job and try your best, but don't forget...