This will be interesting things. And please add some yourself. All this relates to this industry in some form. I'll start it out with what color is Crude oil? Does it spew out looking like an old engine just had a rod come through the block? Does it always look, like shown on the news when ducks and such get in a oil spill? I didn't know this till recently on a oil field show I saw on tv. I always thought the above. This will answer that question. https://www.businessinsider.com/bizarre-photos-reveal-what-crude-oil-actually-looks-like-2020-4 More to come I just don't want to load up one post.
Here's one and I don't know how it keeps getting spread: which axle on a tandem truck provides drive? Both axles drive all the time. Contrary to popular belief the inter-axle lock simply prevents differential action from taking place in the power divider. It doesn't "engage" the other diff.
Just in the counties around where I live I've seen the crude come out as a thick paraphin that's close to a wax and I've seen it look like mobil 1 with a slight red tint. When I saw it I said to pop the hood and put it in the truck. I was always told the rear axles normally drive the truck down the road, I have a broken output shaft and locked in the interaxle and drove 499 miles before something in the front axle broke. My quiz, what is produced along with oil in a oil well? Saltwater!
Correct-and which dual sets normally get the torque, you can tell by tire wear.
A common over used term-Double Over 15 speed--Eaton never made a double overdrive 15 speed, only in the 13 speeds RTOO14613 or 12513 or 9513. Only used in the early boxes.
In my first post, need to scroll down to see the other pictures. An unexpected finding from 1985, the topic SEMT Pielstick PA 6 diesel Engine, mentions reducing the compression ratio from 11.7 to 8.5, my little gas car is 10 I think.
How does a diesel run at that low compression? Idi?
Very carefully ! For sure it won't be started cold in the Arctic, defiantly needs major preheating and heating for long term idling. It works they've done it. I'm with you didn't think it would work that great. They are of course boosting it to extract any sort of power. This goes to show why an average gasoline engine would not run good on diesel. Gasoline inhibits compression ignition.
Another thing a lot of people get wrong is which direction direct current electricity travels. Many people think positive to negative but it's wrong. It flows negative to positive. In welding it makes a lot of difference and is critical which way it's flowing in a lot of applications.
Right rear, not sure why.
And left front-note those are always the long axles plus the pinion contacts the ring gear on those sides.
All normal American automotive engines turn CCW at the PTO or flywheel end, that lifts the left side front up and helps apply more weight to the right rear.
Its interesting that during the electrical portion in 1st year HD they explain both theories to students. Conventional Theory (positive to negative) and Electron Theory (negative to positive). I honestly cannot remember which is the accepted theory in HD but I do remember the instructor telling us the automotive program follows the opposite theory.
I do remember an instructor in school explaining that its roughly 50/50 into each diff. When in a tridrive setup apparently the first diff puts 50% to the ground and the rear 2 split the remaining 50% equally, putting 25% of engine output into each. I don't know if that's true or not, I'm not an engineer lol.
they explain it both ways and it confuses everybody. For all intents and purposes of troubleshooting thinking of flowing from positive to negative for modern DC electrical gets you to where you need to go. I have found that the way the common electrical class is taught is an absolute disservice to actually understanding the electrical and electronic equipment and performing troubleshooting on it all. Once I retaught myself it all became easy, until I did trying to follow their way did not work and I see the exact same troubles in our apprentices.
Depends where it comes from. Pennsylvania crude has a green tinge to it, also loaded with paraffin wax.
Though not true when thinking discrete electronic components. You can't even test a diode with a multimeter using their 1800's conventional current model. Nor would you ever understand how a vacuum tube works. Its easy if you think electron is small and proton is huge. My next fun deal. In what device would I find a magnet motor?
Answer, any electric motor is a magnet motor.
I'm not really sure which way the electricity flows but when you hook up the terminals together it sure does spark a lot.
If you have a pipe 10 ft tall 1ft diameter filled with water and a pipe 10 ft tall 10 ft diameter filled with water, with a pressure gage at the bottom what PSI will the gauges read ? 27,68 inches of water will create 1 psi so each pipes pressure gage will read the same about 4. 33 psi. Think of diving in the ocean if you are 10 feet deep about 4.33 psi on you same as if you are 10 ft doen in a pool. The diameter of pipe does not affect the pressure the height of water creates
Learned that when I worked for a irrigation company for short time.
Is there a hidden/ghost gear in a 13spd?
high side lo hole?
Because Ben Franklyn considered it to be an invisible fluid flowing from a place of excess (+) to a place of deficit(-). He arbitrarily guessed & assigned - (negative) to electrons. He later figured out they flow the other direction & only partially corrected his earlier presumptions. There are people who will argue this, they also believe the earth is flat. In truth electrons move from one atom to another, this is electrical flow.
On a Cat engine with retarder and jakes-which one is applied first?
231 inches depth is 1 gallon in a per square inch sense.1 gallon weighs about 8.4 LBS I'll say 231 inches deep will give 8.4 psi. When I calculate the elevation difference between my water supply, that about works out in the middle of the night when usage is low. May I read your comma as a decimal point? Then we agree.
Its been awhile, but I remember using the retarder to help break in an overhauled 3406, so I'd say the jakes will come on first if selected, retarder is manually applied?, I forget how to do it though. That was back in about 1990 or so?
The jakes come on first because it take a few milliseconds for the retarder to fill with oil.
Yes was meant to be decimal point 231" / 27.68 " = 8.34 psi
Weather ? Why has it been kinda crazy for the last 2 years?
Weather is always crazy. We just pay attention to it more because the media is conditioning us to. Weather patterns have been a moving target since they started keeping records only 200? Years ago.
I am not real familiar with road trucks and 13 speeds, But 9 out of 10 dump trucks that aren't Macks have an 8LL with more than 8 forward speeds. At least the trucks I have driven . .
Is it possible to split the bottom gears in an unaltered 13 speed?
Nope-it takes a 18 spd back section and axillary drive gear. The hidden gear was once in fifth direct flip it to overdrive and shift to low not first. This was done to keep from dropping to 4th under. The ratio works out slightly higher than 4th, but it must be done smoothly. Eaton does not recommend it. And really your not gaining anything.
It's kinda like those 7 speeds where low side 4th was just a little lower than high side 4th. I never drove it grabbing both 4ths but a bunch of people did.
I know that's the proper way but it is actually possible to split the low range gears in a 13 speed with a 13 speed knob. Have to get creative with the buttons on the shifter is all I'll say. Definitely don't do it though if you don't want to buy a new transmission.
You would be the only one on the plant I know of that can.
I have a 9 speed in the dump truck and not having much experience driving big trucks was wondering how to put it in reverse in high range. Can you just let off the throttle for a second and flip the lever up while moving or can you start in high range? Sometimes I need to back up a ways. I have concluded that it's very hard to shift from granny low into to 1st while still moving. When you get on firmer ground you can stop and then start off in 1st. gear. Reverse I'm not sure how to get in high range.
Well never used to have a tree falling wind storm in the area every 2 weeks or so maybe every 3 or 4 years. Never had 112 degree days in this state. Never had a summer and extended summer with no rain and 80 plus temps with no wind for 4 plus months. All with in the last 2 years. And goes along with many other things like food plant fires and dead cattle and chickens. I'm not an anti mineral fuel person. There is a reason for this weather and if was known it would ruin the fun of some. And this is just one example of information. https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/
Flip the range selector up and then put it in the high split. As long as the shift lever doesn't touch neutral it shouldn't complete the range shift. Good way to blow up a transmission though.
Wind it up, preselect high range and double clutch the shift. If your engine takes a long time to slow down it's gonna be harder do do. Eaton doesn't recommend it, though. The other way either involves starting in high and slipping the clutch only if you're empty, or having a hill to help get rolling which is the least abusive way. The decal on the dash if it's still there will say not to change range while moving in reverse but doesn't say anything about using high in reverse. If you have two speed rears, low range and high in the tranny is a nice combination. When he works on logging roads and sometimes has to back up for hundreds of yards ten times a day, a guy figures this stuff out.
Yes the sticker says to not to change range but nothing about going in reverse in high range. I wasn't sure if reverse high is supposed to be used or how to get into high in reverse. If it's not recommended I'll just keep using only low.
Sounds like all this shifting trucks needs its own thread. Nothing trivia about shifting gears.
There were a couple trivia questions concerning transmissions.
What? A wandering thread?
Definitely not here
It could be a nice learning thread. A variety of sorts.
The weather talk in the John Deere right to repair thread should be here. Lets start with this. Climate change is a one sided agenda driven, belief structure. Geoengineering Affects You, Your Environment, and Your Loved Ones Click To Open Each Presentation / Video Click Here To View Our Just Released Groundbreaking Documentary Geoengineering Watch: Our Most Comprehensive Climate Engineering Presentation Geoengineering: Answers To The Most Commonly Asked Questions Geoengineering Watch: Our First Ever High Altitude... www.geoengineeringwatch.org
I think I just heard a collective cough and snort from the moderators . . .
Why this is the trivia thread? Where we can learn new stuff.
Wow 3rd year in a row. A high pressure area installed just north east of Wa state, and here goes our temperatures into the 80 plus range again. So what are the odds of that?
Things man can not do. He can not run 60 MPH. He can not swim for months. He can not lift 10,000 pounds. He can not fly. What else can he not do? But with a Machine he can do all these things.
Swim for months, should be instead, dive to a thousand or more foot depth in the ocean.
Win an argument with his Wife..............
And he can't build a machine to do it either . . .
One thing Man cannot do is control the worlds weather and climate, and that Geoengineering Watch website must be the conspiracy theorists Holy Site. Dane Wigington is off with the fairies, he must have sniffed something that destroyed a lot of his brain neurons. Re the crude oil colour, viscosity, and appearance - a former employee went with an oil and gas drilling operation in Central Australia in the early 1980's. He told me how some of the wells they drilled produced a crude so pure-looking and diesel-like, they poured it straight into the Toyota Landcruiser fuel tanks and ran the 'Cruisers on it without a single problem of any kind. The main problem was, those drill holes that produced that high quality crude were determined to have no commercial quantities of crude oil in them. Here's something a little different. What U.S. Navy ships in WW2 carried an American Hoist and Derrick, 10 ton rotating crane, powered by a 6cyl Cummins, as part of their superstructure? You've possibly seen a photo of one of them operating after the Pearl Harbor attack.
Well spoken, Sir.
I can explain how he can with one video. But then it is only one tool, a tool box usually has more than one tool.
peer reviewed scientific study is another useful tool.
Videos are one of the most useful propaganda tools ever devised. You cannot explain how man can control the weather with one video or a website full of videos, the only thing that will explain is how you have been convinced that man can control the weather. People can be convinced of all sorts of things via videos.
At one time networks reported the news, they didn't make it.
Actually a job I had as a youngster had a bit to do with rudimentary weather control. It was fog dispersal at an airport, also such things were done in WW2 as well. The video I'd post would be to prove that there is a way to do it, and easy to understand, I'm not saying that is how it is done.
Would not be allowed. Any scientist that goes the wrong direction is an outcast. Similar to this fellow. International Climate Science Coalition Executive Director Tom Harris discusses how he was once a climate alarmist but now sees it as a scam.
By todays standards this one is probably small. Not sure what spacing they would need and how many and what frequency needed, hourly, daily or what ever. Maybe lined up from the north pole to the south pole, over the pacific? But we know this is a man owned tool and that it would be man changing the weather. Like I have said he needs the correct machine or the correct tool.
We should probably stick with what we know and go back to talking about shifting trucks ..... This is going to go nowhere fast.
Hey Ivr been driving a 18sp mack and I shift at 19 -> 17 and sometimes when I'm in high split and shift to the next year in low split it grabs the low split of the current gear and shakes the truck and then gets out of it and then I grab the next gear line normal. I don't really preselect it I just hit the switch right before I pull it out of gear. This it probably hard to understand but you asked about shifting trucks. I tried the hit the splitter after I pull it out of gear but it's not fast enough to shift and I'll miss the gear. Any help lol
I dunno, shifting a Mack at 1900 is pretty hard, those things love to pull low, shift at 15-16 .... At least the old ones. I used to drive a late 80's R model years ago, it had an air shift 7 sp Mack Trans, pretty similar in theory to the old two stick 5+1, but with the little vertical range shift lever on the left side of the stick. It fit right in the thumb better than a road ranger, but you couldn't pre select, had to flip it right as you were coming out of gear.
I like an automatic in a truck specifically a 6sp HD4560 Allison. I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't buy a truck without one. Drops mic and exits stage -
Here's some trivia-two mechanics trying to make an extra buck. Grave robbers steal Charlie Chaplin’s body In one of history’s most famous cases of body-snatching, two men steal the corpse of the revered film actor Sir Charles Chaplin from a cemetery in the Swiss village of Corsier-sur-Vevey, located in the hills above Lake Geneva, near Lausanne, Switzerland, on March 2, 1978. A comic actor who was... www.history.com
4560 ofs is a pretty epic transmission E7 460 only has power 16 on up, if I shifted that low I'd worry about lugging it and put a hole in the piston.
Good proof of concept isn't it? Man could control the weather! Now how can it be done more subtly with more accurate control? Its like the old Xray days they needed a ton of power to take a photo of the spine. Now it can be done with a fraction of that power. Just need to know where to inject the power and how much, the natural system will then be the helper. Similar to using earths gravity sling shotting a satellite off to a distant planet. We all should know that weather is moved or created by high and low pressure areas, and the winds, not by Co2 or engine exhaust. Yeah it all works similar to that big truck with an automatic transmission, since thats the now topic. I'd prefer a truck with a 9000 series Allison.
There are many AMT's out there that are better than a Allison.
Ah, I guess all I know are the old Macks, E6 maybe? They used to call them Maxitorque or something like that. The trucks I learned to drive on were old Mack DM's with the 5+1's. 75,000lbs with 5 gears; you would shift at like 16 or 1700 and drop it to like 1000 rpm, the old dog would roll coal and lug right out. Can't say it was the greatest setup, but it worked.
Not all of us are rolling in that big money . . . Hard to find a '92 heavy truck with an auto. I wouldn't want one from that era anyway.
I've driven old autos and new autos, the old ones need truck brakes, the new ones do not and it's a big difference.
Hey my L9000 classifies as a heavy truck and it has an auto. Now we're not going to talk about highway speeds...
That's what I have, an L9000. The auto's from that era I have been around were real slugs, even though I almost wish it had one just so I could stick a driver in it . . .
Mine has the manual and I am happy with that.
My truck with an auto goes 44 mph, is that any better?
That drill rig in your avatar? Is that a Crane Carrier?
Well it does make a great site truck. Loaded or unloaded?
It's equipment so it's the same all the time, about 70k# twin steer twin screw. It's the thing in my avatar
Service rig, yes a crane Carrier probably made by franks, who made the draworks and the Derrick. It is rated to drill like 3000' I think, 6000 for service. Where I work it's 3000-5000 A drill rig Derrick I put in overload of the day, it probably weighs 100k# Derrick only.
Well my L9000 is probably around 25K unloaded depending on how much dirt is stuck in the bed and I can get to 55 MPH unloaded, going down hill with the accelerator pedal smashed to the floor.
If I grab neutral I bet I can get over 55 down hill haha. Had a 671 in the rig before, it would go between 20 mph up to around 50. It had a 4460 six speed trans where 6th was a higher gear than my 5th. When the engine ran away it was pretty fast I got it up to 60 and started thinking why it was going so fast.
Oh baby my L9000 is a hotrod in comparison to @CM1995 s truck. Ha -HA!
Now there is a cool story ... I don't think I have ever heard of a runaway quite like that.
If the governor becomes so worn along with rack-you know there is a major issue when trying to shift, you just about can't shift fast enough.
Ive been around these junk two strokes for quite awhile but I get the runaway when it's mine. I stopped and spun off the suction fuel filter. Unscrewed the adjustment screws on the rail finger on the stuck injectors. and drove it off the road
This fellow is pretty good at his earth quake stuff. This is interesting, as are most of the comments.
I thought this was a heavy equipment forum?
It takes some heavy equipment to accomplish this sort of thing. Especially big generators. The eye glasses thread is not about heavy equipment?
I watched a couple of minutes of that. It's pretty silly. He attempts to apply some meaning to an aggregated computer generated image. That plot of North America is not a single satellite. It's an assemblage of a few different feeds, patched together on a pretty powerful computer. Oh look there's a glitch. It must mean something. It means you need to adjust your tin foil.
How glasses can affect your vision does apply to operating heavy equipment and how you perceive things.
Need to not need eye glasses to see that the weather has made a huge change since 2021. Just like all the other strange things that have occurred after that date. Here is a good reason, that geoengineering be proven. Soon all may face this.
Exact same high pressure area in canada as the last 2 years. Yeah since 2021 now isn't that strange. Just watch when he puts it in motion and how it redirects all the weather. Also so notice Co2 has absolutely nothing to do with it. Its all about placement of high and low pressure areas period.
Not clicking on any more of that idiocy in case that guy gets a plug nickel for the click. It's just more of the complete whole cloth fabrication that conspiracy nutters do on a regular basis. Occam's razor has an answer for all of that.
Don't have the time nor the desire to watch over an hour of YT videos about climate whatever and furthermore it doesn't have to do with HE either. This thread is closed for Moderator Review.