Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chip trucks/trailers etc.

Hayesno1 ยท 2014-02-10 16:07

I thought I better start this new tread as chip trucks is part of the logging industy. So post pictures of chip trucks, trailers and other related equipment. I hope someone will post pictures from the 50's and 60's. Here are a few pics I've taken in BC, Canada - more will come.

Replies203
  1. #1Hayesno12014-02-10 16:43

    More pics

  2. #2Hayesno12014-02-10 16:46

    A few more

  3. #3Chopper952014-02-11 18:26

    What exactly are wood chips used for? Obviously they're used in landscaping, as well as fueling fires for whatever the case may be, but what other values are there? It seems like a fairly large part of the forestry industry.

  4. #4donkey doctor2014-02-11 19:44

    Pulp & paper. d.d.

  5. #5Vigilant2014-02-12 10:13

    Thank GOD the stinking cabovers are gone.

  6. #6Paystar2014-02-15 18:38

    My old 2002 9900i with five axle Titan walking floor with steering lift axles.

  7. #7Blk prince2014-02-15 21:53

    Did this unit run between Canada and the USA?

  8. #8Doug19662014-02-16 13:25

    The 2 KW's are in Quesnel BC , West Fraser Mills. Chips are used for pulp and paper, MDF and chip board and also now burned in in co-generation plants.Thanks Doug

  9. #9Blk prince2014-02-16 15:05

    I pulled chip train on Van. Island. We also run 3axle live floors. No one has 4 or 5 axles except a few mainland flat decks and they can only run 3 axles on highway.That is why I ask about running to the US.

  10. #10Poohbear552014-02-16 16:15

    Higher gross weights in Ont. 8 axle "B" train over here is good for 63500 kgs. A few border states allow higher weight limits per axle for guys that run across the border.

  11. #11Scrub Puller2014-02-16 16:28

    Yair . . . Why did they go out and why are they not liked? Cheers.

  12. #1272hayes2014-02-16 16:54

    there is an old saying amongst truck drivers "when you drive a cabover you are always the first on scene of an accident".

  13. #13ap40rocktruck2014-02-16 19:45

    Frickin hot as hell in the summer & frozen toes & feet all winter. F model Mack COE w/ blankets & cardboard taped & tied to the front panel to sort of stay warm......not to mention neck jarring ride from sitting on the front axle. Ap40

  14. #14Scrub Puller2014-02-16 21:22

    Yair . . . They are very common here . . . maybe something to do with our length regulations. I don't intend to Hi-jack the original posters thread but it would be interesting if any Aussie truckers on here could comment. Incidentally I believe once you get below what I think is known as "class 8" there are very few bonneted trucks available in Australia . . . apart from the odd F Series . . . I mean proper trucks, not pick ups, say F350 up. Cheers.

  15. #15Blk prince2014-02-16 22:19

    A short note,I had to bobtail from Duncan to Port Hardy in a International cab over with rubber blok suspension.About 450 miles and on old island highway. Brought a trailer back for Hearsey transport.would never do it again.

  16. #16Poohbear552014-02-16 22:48

    They're still very popular worldwide. In North America I think its due to many factors. Longer length limits, better ride comfort, (although in the '80s and early '90s, I drove a couple of really long wheelbase cabovers that rode pretty good) safety. Much better, and safer, entry and exit. No crawling over the doghouse to get in the bunk .To name a few.

  17. #17boardbysled2014-02-16 23:12

    Here is some 'related' chipping equipment; an in-the-woods chipping side in Idaho. We have a chipping/chunking side going that I will try to get some pictures of this week.

  18. #18Randy882014-02-17 15:05

    There was never much junk left in the cab most got tired of cleaning it off the inside of the windshield every time they tilted the cab, I'll agree with the stomp your body to death from the ride and also freezing to death in the winter, I only ever drove a few short distances, between falling out of the cab to climb down and jarring the teeth out of my head when bobtailing empty, and trying to figure out how to "aim" them down the road, I was never impressed with any cab over I drove. All the clutch and gear shift linkage was something to get used to as well, never seemed right that you were about five feet ahead of the clutch and transmission either. Then to add insult to injury, everyone I ever drove, always had some hangup with the tilt feature, they'd go up, but never back down straight it seemed and latched properly again. There used to be a cattle buyer in my area when I was a kid that had one, he'd hire me to help load and unload cattle for him, the cab was so rusty when I'd climb into the passenger seat, I stepped on top of the steer tire, to climb in, then slide the sheet of plywood over the tire to cover the hole in the floor boards and use my feet to hold it in place as we drove down the road, if you didn't the front tire would throw dirt up your pant legs inside the cab and I'd have to retie the twine that held the passenger door shut every time it was opened. He'd also hire someone else to help too, that person would sit in the middle and put his foot on the gear shift lever to help force it into gear as he shifted it in the forward gears in the shift pattern, when he'd need to shift it towards the back of the shift pattern, it would take the driver and middle person to pull the lever into gear that direction. He drove it like that for years, towards the end of the trucks life, he had number nine wire to hold the cab down in back otherwise when he'd stop, the cab would literally tilt ahead some when we were inside, as they say, it takes all kinds to make the world go around, never missed that part time job once he quit for good, it was educational to say the least. Toss on top of that, the cattle in the back rocking and walking around and the load shifting all the time, it was usually a white knuckle ride every time we'd climb in and take off. That experience made me a firm believer in livestock goose neck trailers pulled with pickups and conventional cab semi trucks.

  19. #19Scrub Puller2014-02-17 15:50

    Yair . . . in fairness to original poster (i.e. chip truck/trailer thread) I started a "Australian spec. COE Kenworth" thread and it would be good if the some of the COE comments were directed there. As mentioned, most trucks in Australia are COE (apart from Class 8) and a significant proportion of those are COE as well. I didn't realise they were so disliked in other parts and, if you have some opinions it could make for an interesting thread. Cheers.

  20. #20Stump Knocker2014-02-19 16:55

    What does a loaded trailer of chips scale out at? STUMP KNOCKER

  21. #21Blk prince2014-02-19 20:51

    Gross weight is 63500kg for a B'train. Once a truck arrives at a pulp mill,a sample of chips is taken dried in an oven for 24hrs,then that sample is weighed again.The difference between wet and dry sample is the result that lumber mill or chip plant pays for load.On the coast hemlock and fir chips run 50to60 percent moisture. Interior chips could run as little as 10 percent.Hope this helps a little.

  22. #22camptramp2014-02-27 22:18

    BC-- Hearsey Transport Duncan BC A new 1965 Hayes cab over driver Bob Cook.

  23. #23camptramp2014-04-19 22:47

    Bob J. Lilloett 1986

  24. #24camptramp2014-04-19 22:50

    Bob J. Lilloett 1986

  25. #25old-iron-habit2014-04-19 23:26

    I think you worked for my old bull hauler neighbor. Hauling pole wood early one morning back in the 70s, I came along side him on a country road near here, when he was stopped in the road with a load of beef on. He had an old 60 something cabover Freightliner. He had broke a rear axle spring and the back axle was back about 6 inches further back than it belonged on the driver side. I took my chain saw, cut a block of wood off my load, and shaped it for him to fit between the axle and frame. I also gave him a chain to use and we chained the back axle to the front and back so he could limp home the 2 miles or so. A year later I asked him for my chain back and he said it was still holding the axles togather. He's long dead now and my chain never came home. I worried every time I met him on the road. We did have a lot of decent cabover trucks in the 70s in the states here. They just got wore out and become a little difficult. Like a lot of us I guess.

  26. #26Silvio2014-05-13 01:15

    What became of Hearsey Transport? They had a pretty large fleet at one point.

  27. #27camptramp2014-05-15 23:28

    Its interesting you should mention Hearsy Transport . They were a major play'er in the chip and lumber hauling business on the Island in their day. There were quite a few issues that brought them down , the mills around Lake Cowichan shutting down Doman building new mills and enlarging their fleet of chip trucks , the death of Chris Hearsey , I guess you could call it the perfect storm. I just got home with a box of photographs of Hearsey Transport pictures , Chris Hearsey Jr. has allowed me to share with HEF.

  28. #28camptramp2014-05-15 23:50

    Thanks to Chris Hearsey Jr. for loaning us his family's picture's of Hearsey Transport. 3rd picture is founder Lloyd Hearsey and son Chris Hearsey 1952 4th picture is Chris Hearsey 1952

  29. #29Silvio2014-05-16 00:02

    Thank you camptramp for replying, and for posting the photos. I've wondered for a long time what happened to Hearsey, I remember their yard just north of Duncan, now Marpole transport. Living in Victoria, their International Transtars were a regular sight leaving the BCFP mill on the Gorge.

  30. #30camptramp2014-05-22 01:02

    Chris Hearsey , Hearsey Transport

  31. #31camptramp2014-05-22 01:07

    Chris Hearsey , Hearsey Transport , Ken Cuningham , Bob Cooke , Tom Easton , Bill Bishop , Fred Easton , Dallas Vaux , Len Hearsey , Harold Hearsey.

  32. #32Silvio2014-05-22 01:41

    Thanks for posting these camptramp. It's impossible to find Hearsey photos anywhere so it's nice that their history won't be forgotten.

  33. #33HDX2014-05-22 22:00

    camptramp Vicki and I were sitting in the Village Green having lunch when a wrecker went by towing one of the slab-cab Hayes's across the Silver Bridge Needless to say we just had to follow it Sad part was it went into Harpers Scrap Yard. NO They were not interested in saving anything or selling a truck per say They stuffed the forks of a forklift through every cab of all them in there. Managed to go back on the Saturday and buy some little pieces By that time they had torn them mostly apart. What somehow did get saved was the Bullnose Kenworth with the sleeper cab. She was stuffed in behind the old Buckerfields place for a while then was towed away somewhere else. Lost track of her but I keep hearing that she is still in one piece. She had her engine and trans removed when whoever got her saved her. Would sure be nice to see even one of thoses old Hearsey trucks around if only at the Duncan truck show

  34. #34camptramp2014-05-22 23:38

    Chris H Hearsey Transport First picture Hearsey's first shop on corner of Herd Rd. and Island Highway where South bound scales are today . Second picture is of Hearsey's last shop where Marpole is today.

  35. #35camptramp2014-05-22 23:57

    Chris H Hearsey Transport Hearsey's Crane Truck's

  36. #36camptramp2014-05-23 00:17

    Chris H Hearsey Transport

  37. #37camptramp2014-05-23 00:36

    Chris H Hearsey Transport Looks like a brand new truck

  38. #38camptramp2014-05-23 00:41

    Chris H Hearsey Transport

  39. #39camptramp2014-05-23 00:55

    Chris H Hearsey Transport

  40. #40Silvio2014-05-23 01:14

    More incredible photos! The twin steer ones especially, I had very vague memories of that one. The overhead shot of their yard is interesting too, wonder what was in the boneyard out back?

  41. #41camptramp2014-05-23 23:11

    Chris Hearsey

  42. #42camptramp2014-05-23 23:23

    Chris Hearsey

  43. #43camptramp2014-05-23 23:36

    Chris Hearsey

  44. #44camptramp2014-05-23 23:59

    Chris H Hearsey Transport also offered a crane servic e

  45. #45camptramp2014-05-24 00:03

    Chris H Hearsey Transport also offered a crane service

  46. #46camptramp2014-05-25 00:07

    Chris H Hearsey Transport hauling cement out of Bamerton

  47. #47camptramp2014-05-25 00:54

    Chris H Hearsey Transport also offered a lowbed service

  48. #48camptramp2014-05-25 00:58

    Chris H Hearsey Transport more lowbed

  49. #49camptramp2014-05-25 01:02

    Chris H Hearsey Transport more lowbed

  50. #50Vigilant2014-05-25 01:20

    I've pulled a dromedary, hauling cement. Not bad work, except for the dust. Back then, I didn't give it a second thought. I just suffered from the problems it caused in my sinuses and nasal passages.

  51. #51Silvio2014-05-25 01:27

    That's interesting that you posted the photo at Bamberton. Just earlier today I was reading about the haul road that was built for there. Last weekend a buddy and I checked out where the San Cobble dragstrip used to be held on that road and we wondered exactly why that haul road was there in the first place. I would really have liked to watch those rock trucks flying up and down that road when it was still used.

  52. #52camptramp2014-05-26 00:24

    Chris H Hearsey Transport Highboy freight

  53. #53camptramp2014-05-26 00:26

    Chris H Hearsey Transport lowbed

  54. #54camptramp2014-05-26 00:30

    Chris H Hearsey Transport Tanker's

  55. #55camptramp2014-05-26 00:33

    Chris H Hearsey Transport Tanker truck

  56. #56camptramp2014-05-26 00:43

    Chris H Hearsey Transport , shop and yard just passed North bound Scales Duncan B.C.

  57. #57camptramp2014-05-26 23:45

    Chris H Hearsey Transport Some day's things can go wrong ,1st. picture is #5 a 1971 Hayes at Dunbar Culch .

  58. #58camptramp2014-05-26 23:48

    Chris H Hearsey

  59. #59camptramp2014-05-27 00:14

    Chris H Hearsey Transport new trailer's

  60. #60camptramp2014-05-27 00:18

    Chris H Hearsey Transport early " B " trains

  61. #61camptramp2014-05-27 00:30

    Chris H Hearsey Transport " A " train trailers

  62. #62camptramp2014-05-27 00:47

    Chris H Hearsey Transport motified " B " train

  63. #63Silvio2014-05-27 01:30

    Fantastic photos! Thank you so much for posting.

  64. #64Scrub Puller2014-05-27 05:30

    Yair . . . camptramp . Interesting pictures but I can't quite get my head around the modified "B" train in your #63 post . . . in particular the asymmetrical spacing of the single wheel axle, there has to be a purpose. The single wheel spread looks very strange to Australian eyes Any comment from folks who understand the regulations under which this rig was constructed? Cheers

  65. #65Randy882014-05-27 07:56

    Can anyone tell us the difference between an "A" and a "B" train, from the photo's they look very similar. Also thanks for sharing the photo's with us.

  66. #66mitch5042014-05-27 09:55

    Just guessing,but... In those photos the "B" train has a fithwheel on the lead trailers frame, the "A" has a dolly pulled on a pintle hitch.

  67. #67camptramp2014-05-27 11:29

    These pictures are ones loaned to me by Chris Hearsey I didn't drive these trucks but shared the road with them . These pictures were taken in 1985 ,during a time when different axle combinations were being tested and tried out , it looks like a third single axle in posting #63 was added to the " B " train in posting #61 , just another trial and error thing , a forerunner of today's " B " train axle spacing. One doesn't see many " A " trains on the highway's in our area any more either.

  68. #68Randy882014-05-27 12:18

    Thanks guys for the explanation

  69. #69Scrub Puller2014-05-27 15:44

    Yair . . . thanks camptramp . I take it from your comments that "B doubles" are standard and common in Canada as they are in Australia . . . "B" triples are being trailed on selected routes while the three/four trailer dolly and pintle hitch "road trains" are restricted to designated routes. I am way out of touch with current regulations but it is interesting to see how other administrations structure rules that probably confuse truckers and possibly do very little to deal with local conditions. I have seen several four axle "B" trains on the highway lately, they are new to me I and could post some pictures from the internet if anyone is interested. Cheers

  70. #70Vigilant2014-05-27 17:28

    Although I have never driven a Transtar half cab, I suspect that is one rough, rough riding truck.

  71. #71Randy882014-05-27 18:33

    Scrub, any and all pictures are welcome anytime you want to post them, we don't see any trains in the states, some doubles but that's about it, and those are few and far between anymore.

  72. #72Blk prince2014-05-27 20:11

    I pull only super "B" which has 3 axles on back of 3rd trailer and 2 on back trailer. No matter what set-up anyone has,the maximum allowed weight on our highways is 63,500 kilograms.meant to say back of first trailer.

  73. #73Blk prince2014-05-27 21:02

    You are right,back in the 80's those were new trucks and they arrived with rubber block suspension and were extremely rough riding especially if there were no trailers to pull

  74. #74Scrub Puller2014-05-27 22:02

    Yair . . . I'm full of questions as always . . . curious about some of that timber, it looks to be about 12"x12", is that being forwarded on for resawing? Schlumberjays (?) used to run Transtars as seismic trucks with 8v71's and they were rough and loud. I will see what I can dig up for pictures . . . I think there are just as many doubles running this stretch of highway as singles, not sure of the overall ratio. Cheers.

  75. #75camptramp2014-05-28 00:33

    Chris H Hearsey Transport # 40 a Hayes cab over not having a good day

  76. #76camptramp2014-05-28 00:39

    Chris H Hearsey Transport I don't know how this old Mack found its way in amongst these picture , but on the back there is a stamp Vancouver General Hospital Dec 1966

  77. #77camptramp2014-05-28 00:43

    Chris H Hearsey Transport no matter how hard I tried to organize these pictures I still came up with a couple stray's LOL

  78. #78camptramp2014-05-28 00:54

    Chris H Hearsey Transport One of the sadest things about a local family owned business closing its doors is the loss of contibution they make to the community.

  79. #79Blk prince2014-05-28 20:24

    Scrub puller,the timbers were cut in a mill in Youbou,hauled to dock at Crofton then shipped to Japan or Australia. The mill has been gone now for over 15yrs. No timbers cut,now the whole log is shipped away. 2nd grade logs are processed here and most lower grade lumber is sent to China. I will also add that as you can see in most of the pictures we did not require a great number of tie downs back then. Now we double the number of straps on our loads.

  80. #80Hayesno12014-08-19 16:20

    Some different chip trucks. Owner Rayner Braacht, Port Alberni. Summer 2014

  81. #81Hank R2014-08-19 22:46
  82. #82Hank R2014-08-19 22:50
  83. #83Hank R2014-08-20 11:35
  84. #84HDX2014-08-20 12:44

    Posting #81 4th picture down Tri drive KW was ex Franklin truck ex unit H172 Gary Cathers got this truck new When WEYCO dumped everything this truck went up for grabs as did the other new ones that had been bought for highway hauling

  85. #85Hank R2014-08-20 18:45
  86. #86Hayesno12014-08-24 11:10

    Chip trucks around Princton, BC summer 2014. 2 different Petes from Arrow

  87. #87Hayesno12014-08-24 13:51

    More chip trucks from around Princton, BC summer 2014

  88. #88Hayesno12014-08-24 14:06

    More chip trucks from around Princton, BC summer 2014

  89. #89Hayesno12014-08-24 14:16

    More chip trucks from around Princton, BC summer 2014

  90. #90Hayesno12014-08-24 15:02

    More chip trucks from around Princton, BC summer 2014

  91. #91camptramp2016-08-20 19:12

    A couple of picture's that Bob Cook loaned us . #1 & 2 are of Hearsey Transport chip trucks .

  92. #92gtermini2016-08-20 20:47

    Most of the chip trucks around here just haul garbage now from the big cities (PDX, SEA) to the dumps out in the less populated areas. I think the dump nearest even bought its tipper from one of the paper mills that shut down a while back. Funny how equipment gets re-purposed over the years. Trash hauling has made it rare to see a pair of 32' chip trailers being pulled, when it seemed to be almost the standard haul a few years back. Greyson

  93. #93camptramp2016-08-21 01:30

    Sometimes one meets a fellow worker over a coffee with another friend and a friendship develops . The better you get to know him , the the more you admire him . Such is the case with Jeet Sangara , always a smile and a friendly greeting when you see him , a long time truck driver on the South end of Vancouver Island , a Gear Head , he has a Bucket "T" , builds terrific AMT Motel Trucks , and takes & collects pictures . I'm sure his son Steve Sangara a second generation Truck Driver also took some of these pictures . The 1st picture is of Quay Transport April 1968 , #2 & #3 are of Ideal Fuel & Transport at a Victoria Day Parade , May 24 , 1971 . Both these companies were own by the same Victoria based family the pictures are from the Chuck Carosella Collection .

  94. #94camptramp2016-08-21 09:36

    Jeet Sangara Collection , Ideal Fuel & Transport . Back grown looks like Cowichan Bay Westcan Terminals .

  95. #95camptramp2016-08-22 00:16

    Jeet Sangara (Greg Meredith-Jones Collection) Somenos Transport .

  96. #96camptramp2016-08-23 09:06

    Jeet Sangara (Greg Meredith-Jones Collection)

  97. #97camptramp2016-08-23 09:08

    Jeet Sangara

  98. #98camptramp2016-08-25 23:40

    Jeet Sangara , Hearsey Transport , Duncan B.C.

  99. #99camptramp2016-08-25 23:42

    Jeet Sangara , Hearsey Transport .

  100. #100camptramp2016-08-25 23:44

    Jeet Sangara , Hearsey Transport .

  101. #101camptramp2016-08-26 23:57

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport , 1972 .

  102. #102camptramp2016-08-28 00:17

    Jeet Sangara , D oman Transport .

  103. #103camptramp2016-08-29 00:19

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  104. #104camptramp2016-08-31 09:35

    Jeet Sangara , Shown are are some of the AMT model trucks Jeet has built .

  105. #105camptramp2016-08-31 09:37

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  106. #106camptramp2016-09-02 00:56

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  107. #107camptramp2016-09-04 23:17

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  108. #108camptramp2016-09-06 00:32

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transpoert .

  109. #109camptramp2016-09-09 00:30

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  110. #110camptramp2016-09-11 01:27

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport . Duncan B.C.

  111. #111camptramp2016-09-12 09:34

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  112. #112camptramp2016-09-14 00:10

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport , Duncan B.C.

  113. #113camptramp2016-09-15 09:34

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  114. #114camptramp2016-09-15 09:36

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  115. #115camptramp2016-09-17 00:19

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  116. #11672hayes2016-09-17 22:40

    Hey Steve with all those slimline cabovers there should be one for all of us. Any idea where they all went. Doug

  117. #117HDX2016-09-18 01:14

    The two I dogged from day one were 272 and 273. They were parked down at the old CPR ferry terminal in Nanaimo for a long time on weekends We would come out of camp friday nite and first thing saturday morning I would always swing by and scope them out Sadly 273 was totaled in a motor vehicle accident in Duncan and in July of 1992, 272 came home with me. When the time came to get working on her, I gave up trying to get hold of Herb Doman to get a letter from him giving me permission to repaint her in the original Doman colors--Fawn and Bayview Green with their old Doman decals Just could not get past his secretary OH Well, win some lose some. I will post some of the pictures of her as I went along. I am not sure but 272 might be the sole survivor of that entire fleet. She served them well from May/72 until I bought her from them in July 1992. Blk prince might be able to say if any of the HayMacs are still in service with somebody else. Was funny because every time we were going to Victoria for anything we would always stop at their yard and I would walk into the dispatch shack and as soon as I walked in the dispatcher would laugh and say NO, NOT YET before I even said anything. Great bunch of guys there. We were actually sitting in the Village Green Restaurant and the big wrecker from down that way went by hauling all the Hearsey Trucks over to Harpers Scrap yard to be cut up. We made a mad dash over there but they said NO the trucks could not be sold or saved.They HAD TO BE CUT UP!!! They did agree to allow me a 2 hour window to remove what I could if I came back on the following saturday. Needless to say I was there BUT alas they were already well on their way to crushing them. We did however notice that there was one survivor and that was one of the Hearsey, Bull nose Kenworths. Really neat old truck and a real prize for someone to restore. She is still around down there somewhere because the guy that bought her was going to do her up. That was back when Trans Isle was moving into Hearsey's yard on the highway and moving out from down behind the Village Green so that had to be 26-27 years ago. Hope she is still around and either waiting to get done or is at least being worked on In the meantime I will go through 272's photo album.

  118. #118diamondtguy2016-09-18 01:30

    I had forgotten Hayes made cab overs but I was only 15/16 when its doors closed..Back in the 60's and 70's Lafarge had a big plant in Port Coquitlam (a gravel town at the time)It may have been Coquitlam as Pipeline Road was the border...Anyways Rutledge Sand and Gravel hauled all their gravel and they had a beautifull Bull Nose Kenworth..I really really liked that truck and I have always remembered it. I look forward to the pics of 272

  119. #119Blk prince2016-09-18 21:28

    HDX,yes one cab over still working. Sad condition though. Gerry Doman has it for a yard dog moving chip trailers around. Think it is a FRT liner though. I saw one original Hay Mack in Astoria Oregon around2001. Sat in a yard near dockyards. Number 791. Had a very narrow sleeper. Was still Doman colors

  120. #120HDX2016-09-19 00:12

    I posted 272 pictures over on the Hayes thread Thought it was the right place because after all she did haul a lowbed off highway from time to time. Was BSing with the driver out at Franklin one day when he was out that way and he told me how the bumper got twisted Seems a stump had a great deal to do with it on a corner. I looked at old 272 and said to her ONE DAY OLD GIRL ONE DAY!!!

  121. #121Hank R2016-09-19 16:10

    Not how to park a truck at night. Maybe should not of drove down this road for a stop.

  122. #122camptramp2016-09-19 22:39

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  123. #123camptramp2016-09-20 22:30

    Jeet Sangara , Doman Transport .

  124. #124camptramp2016-09-21 22:58

    Jeet Sangara , Hyak Transport a subsidiary of Doman Transport that hauled lumber from Sooke Forest Products Sawmill to Ogden Point Wharves , Victoria .

  125. #125camptramp2016-09-21 23:00

    Jeet Sangara , Hyak Transort .

  126. #126camptramp2016-09-23 00:07

    Jeet Sangara , A common sight around Victoria and lower Vancouver Island for many years Mander Trucking owned by Jeet's brother Piara Sangara and his Sons .

  127. #127camptramp2016-09-23 23:09

    Jeet Sangara , Mander Trucking .

  128. #128HDX2016-09-24 07:23

    72hayes Now we know where at least 4 of those Doman slim line COE's ended up. New paint scheme and they still looked pretty good

  129. #129camptramp2016-09-24 21:49

    Jeet Sangara , Mander Trucking .

  130. #130Randy882016-09-25 08:38

    What is the reason for running trucks with a dump box on them verses a semi and live bottom or tipper trailer, just curious? Did Hayes make their own trucks or rebadge another brand with the Hayes name, until this thread I've never heard of them?

  131. #131HDX2016-09-25 11:03

    Randy88 In 1969 Mack bought controlling interest in Hayes. Up until that time Hayes was building their own cabs and their engineers came from down south in a cost saving effort. It was decided that the Hayes engineers in Vancouver could and would adapt the "Sheller" cab used by Mack and Brockway to their cab over models. Mack had access to and a surplus of these cabs so Hayes had to buy them from Mack then rework them to fit their frames. Was a real nightmare and an engineering struggle. The only truck that Hayes re-badged was the Petrbilt cab over when Mack sold Hayes to PACCAR in June of 1974. More of that later

  132. #132Randy882016-09-25 14:55

    Thanks for the information, did hayes have their own engine then or put cummins or detroits in them.

  133. #133HDX2016-09-25 19:40

    You could order any engine and driveline etc components you wanted

  134. #134camptramp2016-09-25 23:48

    In Posting #105 Page 7 , I posted a picture of this Hearsey Transport truck and credited Jeet Sangara as the builder of this model truck . It was built by Hearsey Transport admirer Art James of Victoria who has also built a detailed model of the Old Hearsey Transport Shop , that was located at the corner of Herd Road and the Island Highway , where the South bound Scales are located today . The model of the Shop is on display at The North Cowichan Municipal Hall .

  135. #135camptramp2016-09-25 23:58

    Jeet Sangara , Mander Trucking .

  136. #136camptramp2016-09-26 23:34

    Jeet Sangara , Trans Isle Freightways , Duncan B.C.

  137. #137camptramp2016-09-27 23:29

    Jeet Sangara , Trans -Isle Freightways .

  138. #138camptramp2016-09-28 23:41

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . 3th picture Duke Point Sawmill . 4th picture a Freighter loading Lumber .

  139. #139camptramp2016-09-29 23:33

    Jeet Sangara . Amongst these pictures are pictures of sights Jeet has taken while on the water front .

  140. #140camptramp2016-09-30 23:30

    Jeet Sangara . Trans-Isle Freightways . Bob McGinnis retired 2001 George Ferguson retired 2001

  141. #141camptramp2016-10-01 22:14

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  142. #142camptramp2016-10-02 23:19

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  143. #143camptramp2016-10-03 20:22

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  144. #144camptramp2016-10-27 23:44

    Jeet Sangara , Trans- Isle Freightways .

  145. #145camptramp2016-10-31 23:28

    Jeet Sangara . Trans Isle Freightways .

  146. #146camptramp2016-10-31 23:30

    Jeet Sangara , Trans Isle Freightways .

  147. #147camptramp2016-11-04 00:05

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . A giant chip pile at Cowichan Bay , the result of a 10 month Pulp Mill Strike in 1997-98 .

  148. #148camptramp2016-11-04 00:07

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  149. #149camptramp2016-11-05 22:58

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Transport . 1st , 2nd , 3rd Pictures are of Nanaimo saw mill being dismantled .

  150. #150camptramp2016-11-17 22:26

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Transport .

  151. #151camptramp2016-11-21 00:40

    Jeet Sangara , Trans - Isle Transport .

  152. #152camptramp2016-11-24 22:45

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . BCFP Gorge Road Mill , Victoria B.C. Ogden Point loading docks , Victoria B.C.

  153. #153camptramp2016-11-26 00:02

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  154. #154camptramp2016-11-27 23:19

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . The pictures unloading the truck are taken at Coastland's Mill at Nanaimo .

  155. #155camptramp2016-12-12 00:02

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  156. #156camptramp2016-12-12 00:04

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . Log Barge dumping at Duke Point .

  157. #157camptramp2016-12-20 00:06

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  158. #158camptramp2016-12-21 23:15

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freighjtways .

  159. #159camptramp2016-12-21 23:18

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . New Trucks at P&R Western Star , Keatings X Road Lot and Shop , Victoria B.C.

  160. #160camptramp2016-12-27 00:29

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  161. #161camptramp2017-01-01 19:06

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  162. #162Randy882017-01-02 09:13

    Could you shed some light on what products they are hauling, such as plywood, osb board, pine lumber, hardwood or what and where the products are going? Great photo's by the way.

  163. #163Blk prince2017-01-02 10:36

    Post 162,1&2 are TIF trucks loaded at Ladysmith Forest Products with processed lumber,2x8 going to one of the lumber docks. Lumber going overseas. Cannot say for sure where 3rd and 4th pictures taken. 5appears to be lumber dock at Duke Point,cargo is wrapped lumber. Most likely kiln dried so it is wrapped as not to get wet

  164. #164Blk prince2017-01-02 10:40

    Slight correction. These were taken at Duke Point. Site was called Doman Industries Duke Point Log Merch. Site was for making hog and chips for local pulp mills and lower mainland pulp mills as well

  165. #165Blk prince2017-01-02 11:26

    Randy88,if you see any other pictures you would like more info on,please post the number and I will give any info that I have. I have been hauling lumber for this outfit for a few years now. Many changes since these were taken. Bp

  166. #166camptramp2017-01-17 23:07

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways . I would say most of the lumber being hauled by these trucks would be Fir or Hemlock and most likely to Deep Sea Docks for Export . The Fork Lifts in Picture 4 are painted BCFP colours , the location is most likely Stewart Channel Wharves at Croften B.C.

  167. #167camptramp2017-01-27 23:53

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways

  168. #168camptramp2017-01-27 23:54

    Jeet Sangara Trans-Isle Freightways .

  169. #169camptramp2017-01-29 23:18

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways , 1st picture was taken at Deep Sea Dock on Cowichan Bay looking up Cowichan Valley at Mt. Prevost .

  170. #170camptramp2017-01-29 23:22

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways , Jeet with #2102 Freightliner .

  171. #171camptramp2017-01-31 22:30

    Jeet Sangara Trans-Isle Freightways .

  172. #172camptramp2017-01-31 22:32

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  173. #173camptramp2017-02-26 22:54

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  174. #174camptramp2017-03-08 23:07

    Jeet Sangara . Trans-Isle Freightways .

  175. #175camptramp2017-03-08 23:09

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  176. #176camptramp2017-03-10 23:59

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-isle Freightways .

  177. #177camptramp2017-03-23 00:59

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  178. #178camptramp2017-04-01 22:18

    Jeet Sangara , Trans-Isle Freightways .

  179. #179camptramp2017-04-30 00:47

    Jeet Sangara . Marpole .

  180. #180camptramp2017-05-05 22:56

    Jeet Sangara .

  181. #181Strazza2017-12-12 00:54

    I sure like seeing all the older Marpole/Trans Isle truck pics.

  182. #182Born2clearcut2017-12-15 10:38

    How much weight do those lumber packers carry ?

  183. #183Blk prince2017-12-15 11:04

    Born2clearcut,well that question has a few answers. Number of axles for a start. The average B-train can carry 63,500 kgs. Tractors vary with size of steer tire. The ones with 22.5 steer tires can carry 5,500 on front axle. Then the rear axles if only 2 can carry 17,000 kgs and a 3 axle semi can take 24,000kgs. Now that is in BC. Alberta is different and USA is different. For BC outfits to send loads South,we end to load to US weights. Hope this helps a bit

  184. #184dirty4fun2017-12-15 20:38

    U S legal load on five axle is 80K pounds gross weight. You can get permits to haul more but the added cost and the way they route you detracts from doing that.

  185. #185Born2clearcut2017-12-15 21:59

    Thanks guys . It just something that goes through my head when driving down highway and I see a fully loaded B-train coming at me doing 100k plus. Lol

  186. #186hvy 1ton2017-12-16 01:13

    Most of the PNW is 105-106K

  187. #187Hayesno12018-09-20 16:01

    Western Star with square fenders - not that many out there

  188. #188Doug19662018-09-20 16:48

    Took those in Quesnel BC?

  189. #189Hayesno12018-09-20 18:56

    Yes I did. Back in 2005 I think. Do you know the truck?

  190. #190Doug19662018-09-21 10:01

    Hi, I grew up in Quesnel, dad hauled logs for West Fraser, recognized the truck and location. They had some interesting stuff, were some 60's Kenworths kicking around for awhile too. Thanks Doug.

  191. #191Hayesno12018-09-22 02:32

    Hi Doug, I went through Quesnel first time in 1980 as I was going to Bowron Lake Provencial Park where I canoed the lakes. There were a lot of interesting stuf to see. I did take a few pictures of Hayes trucks but not West Fraser trucks. Was West Fraser trucks green at that time? In one of my pictures I can spot a green chip truck in the background - it could be a West Fraser truck...

  192. #192Doug19662018-09-24 10:08

    Hi, I was still there then, in high school. Any of the West Fraser company trucks where green. Look for the white and green logo sticker on door in your picture. Mostly used around the mill sites. Generally all the log hauling was done owner op contractors like my dad. There were a few multiple truck companies , like Inwood trucking, the light blue and white trucks, you have few pictures of their stuff, one is an old hayes with a snow plow on front. Heres a photo of the model of my dad's truck that I did.

  193. #193Hank R2018-09-24 13:19

    Great job on that Model Doug, How is your P-510 S coming along???

  194. #194Doug19662018-09-25 10:08

    Hi Hank, Haven't done much lately, too much outside stuff during summer. Weather's changing so I'll be getting into model room a little more.

  195. #195Hayesno12018-09-27 16:44

    Great model - is in scale 1/25?

  196. #196Hayesno12018-09-27 16:47

    More chip trucks from Quesnel

  197. #197Doug19662018-09-28 10:11

    Yes it is 1/25. Search my name on Hanks site, I have a bunch of pictures there too.

  198. #198Doug19662018-09-28 10:15

    Hi, West Fraser bought out Weldwood years ago now, in Quesnel they now have 2 sawmills, Plywood plant and 2 Pulp mills, so they would be using that truck to haul between the sawmills, plywood plant to either the pulp mills. Thanks Doug.

  199. #199Hayesno12018-09-29 03:06

    I have seen your models at Hanks website. They are awesome. I really like your Arrow chip truck and The Merrit KW. I guess you have seen my models at Hanks website. I build in scale 1/87. Search Kim Loeb. Looking forward to see The outcome of your P510. It looks great so far. Keep up your great work.

  200. #200Hayesno12018-09-29 03:11

    A few more from Quesnel

  201. #201Doug19662018-10-01 10:53

    Thanks, andYes I have seen your stuff on Hanks. I admire you guys that work in HO, sometimes find the parts in 1/25 are hard to manage. Thanks Doug.

  202. #202camptramp2022-02-28 23:52

    Dave Whiskin Collection Today turning off Westhome Rd. on to Crofton Rd. at Pinsons Corner .

  203. #203Hayesno12023-02-05 08:56

    WhiteGMC chip truck in Port Alberni 2022