Hi, I'm new to the forum today. I have read some old posts over the last few months to learn about the different attributes of the various brands of telehandlers. I've determined that a 8000# or 9000# machine is suitable for our residential and farm building construction business. I've been drawn to the GRADALL 534D-9-45 for it's heavy boom design as well the JLG G9-43A and a third choice of the Skytrak 8042. We will be lifting and placing lifts or part lifts of plywood on to second floors or roofs and perhaps outfit with a 10' wide platform for metal roofing and siding. Possibly seting up with a 15' truss boom. I've been having the most luck finding the Gradall machines in the 2003 range with between 2500 and 4000 hours selling for about $25-$28K with various tire condition. I've learned they are $1200 a wheel to replace and foam fill which has a huge affect on price in this price range. I'm assuming the Gradalls with the rear pivot steer will steer similar to a warehouse forklift; small turning radius but a little hard on the turf. The 4 wheel steer units seem like they may have some advantages too; the crab steering could be very handy. Currently I'm looking at a 2003 GRADALL 534D-9-45 with 4100 hours that has recent paint and brand new rock tires for $26,500. I'd like to be lower with the hours but the unit seems to be in nice shape and currently is a rental unit. I'm in a colder climate in southern Alberta where it could be running on -20C days. Are the cummins or deere engines typically cold blooded? Block heaters available? I'd really appreciate some feedback on these machines and if there are any strong or weak points. I have seen a 2002 JLG G9-43A with 2500 hours go for $21,000 on auction (IRn Plnt) that was in nice shape. Maybe I should be holding out for one of these. Thanks in advance for any replies! ~Gerald
The Gradall machines in this year, hour range should be able to be bought for right at 20,000 that would go for Skytraks as well. JLG machines command more money so im thinking a good buy for a clean machine would be High 20s or low 30s. You are right about the tires, they are right around 1000-1200 a rim foam filled. The big downfall in my eyes with the Gradalls is the fact they dont have multiple steering selections. The other steering options are very handy to have. However, it seems to me that Gradall guys are stuck on the rear steering and love it. You might also look into a Lull 943, its extremely handy to have the traversing carriage, and Lulls are tough machines. I have a friend who brokers aerials and im sure has whatever you may need. PM me your email if you are interested. Or there is always Ritchie Bros or Ironplanet, 9000 pound machines are not hard to find. Best of luck
Thanks for the reply Barklee, I have not been able to find a decent Gradall for $20K. They are out there but they are a bit rough with higher hours and worn out tires. Thanks for the tip on the Lull brand.
I once was a rear wheel steer fan, and then I realized that is because the machine can be operated just like a warehouse forklift which we were familiar with. I rented my first four wheel steer (JLG's first model) to erect a metal building and the guys were mad as heck cause I did not get the gradall rear wheel steer. I informed them we are using the machine for ops in the air, not yard work. From one machine to another, the control preference follows this thinking. As to the four wheel steer, the crab and steer options have been beneficial. I also think the gradall has a cable to telescope the boom (I could be wrong here) and I like a chain. I settled on a Terex (square shooter) due to its simplicity and did not get the skytrak due to the complexity of the axle pivot / overturning hydraulic system - although it is probably better. I decided to get something simple and hopefully reliable. Also the Terex has four rams to tilt as opposed to some machines only having two (one for each axle) We looked into pettibone but couldn't find too many good ones. Same for Lull, not really sold much around here. I like the slip on forks truss boom - yeah it lifts less but quicker on and off. We have regular forks and also have lumber forks. We rent dirt buckets for gravel placing etc. Gradall is what we started with - they should work well for you. We have heard they do 'eat the rear tires' faster than the other steer systems.
I have a 1998 Gradall 534D-6 36 that we bought new. It has been a very good machine. Simple design and components and no electronics which makes repair fairly simple. I like the rear steer machines and I like the 4 wheel steer machines. I had a Cat 460B that I liked but it had continuous problems with the instrument cluster (replaced twice through warranty) and that machine was traded off. My Gradall had been sitting in a field for 2 years, the other day we put a fresh battery in her and the little Cummins fired right up. The joystick is sticking a little on the carriage tilt function but she is 13 years old. The only issue I see with a Gradall is parts availability since they discontinued the line. With that being said most parts on a Gradall are "plug and play" meaning you can find the parts, you just have to search a little to find them. For reliability and ease of operation, I would recommend a Gradall. She's earned a lot of money over the years and has paid for herself many times over. ON EDIT - Just found this website http://www.gcironparts.com/GCIronPartsSelection.asp
Great information, I'm currently choosing between a 2002 Gradall 9000# machine and a 2003 JLG G9-43A. Do I need to be concerned that the Gradall has 4000 hours? The machines appearance is quite good, and has new rock tires. Are the rock type treads poor in snow? That's a bit of a concern too.
I dont think 4000hrs are too many. I guess it just depends on how rough the hours are?? I would say you are getting into the nickel and dime zone though. We have a Skytrak 6k with 12000hrs on it and it is as dependable as a new one. Not sure what rock tires are so i cant comment on that one!
Check the machine over well, especially the boom and its components. Look for cracks, welds, wear pads, chains/cables, hyd cylinders and that the boom has not been stressed or bent. Check all the usual on the engine. Check the carriage pins and bushings for wear. Tires are new so that is one of the largest expenses out of the way.
Good to hear these units can go a very long time when cared for. The rock tires are more of a solid tread design with more rubber contacting the road where as the standard ones have a more skid steer type tread design that would bite into the turf or snow better. I see the rock type tires a lot on the Gradalls likely because they won't tear up the ground or pavement as bad on the pivot steering. That's just an observation I've noted and may not be the case.
Just a note frome a skytrak mech. IF you buy a 8042 legacy series do not load the tires, when you get in deep sand you can brake the rear planitares.
Well I finally decided on a nice used JLG G9-43A. It is an 04 with 2500 hrs for about $25k. It was that or a similar condition Gradall rear pivot. I decided a machine with the alternate steering selections will be more useful on our sites. It's coming with the tilt carriage which will be handy eventhough the swing carriage would have been my first choice. I'll be checking back with more questions and reports once I get the machine in October, thanks for the useful advice in the posts above. ~Gerald
Sounds like you did real well! You will have to show us some pictures and let us know how you like it.
sometimes you see swing carriages on ebay for gradalls/jlg
If you still would like to outfit your JLG with a 72" "swing" carriage, maybe I can help. I have one that fits a SkyTrak. We would have to confirm that JLG and SkyTrak have interchangeable accessories. Then we could make arrangements, if you like.
What is the difference between a swing carriage and a tilt carriage???
Swing Carriage A "Swing Carriage" operates in a horizontal rotation. It is utilized to square up a man basket for trim, siding, tuckpointing or setting windows. With a "Slip on jib", can be used to set trusses. (Disclaimer coming from ISZ). A "Tilt Carriage" operates in a verticle rotation. Mostly used by Masons to set pallets, cubes on scaffolding.
http://www.jlg.com/en-US/AddOn.View...1adb2e&ReturnURL=/en-US/ProductLineAddOn.html
Got it, never knew that was what it was called. All of our lifts have this option. We always call it swing forks. I thought the chassis was also called the carriage.
Aerolift, made me chuckle. Are you referring to the fact that "slip on's" are not OSHA legal? If so I am not trying to condemn, just inform and help small businessmen from getting screwed by the system. ISZ
Swing carriage ISZ, Glad you enjoyed the sparring. "You Guys" (design engineers), developed frame tilt to safely navigate slopes and level the machine PRIOR to boom extention/elevation. "My Guys" (rough framing contractors) use level to "lean" trusses into place with extended booms up/out @ +60 degree elevation. (Audible gasp by ISZ). Swing Carriages with "slip-on" jibs allow carpenters to LEVEL the machine, boom up/out, THEN swing the carriage and therefore spot the truss into place. Slightly less dangerous, but arguably still not safe. Real World 101.
Just to me more specific my job, as I see it, is to try and be the voice of reason between the designer and marketing people, and the end customer. While I may not agree with everything the end user does with the product, I do have to take it into consideration. I grew up on a 250 head dairy farm so I know what people do and it made me appreciate the little guy. My job is to be a pessimist and believe me when I say there have been numerous times when I did not agree with a company's decision. The reason I am so forthcoming in this forum is that I no longer work for a telehandler OEM, though I have worked for several different ones. ISZ
When you look at the boom make sure you extend it out all the way. I had a Terex boom crack near the main bushing at the rear when an employee (idiot) boom out with a load while going over a down hill bump that forced the boom to bend. You never know what the seller will say!
They are not OSHA legal
The jlg was a wise choice, I have owned a few pre 05 gradalls and they don't have pressed in bushings at the steering knuckle for the king pins which makes it very expensive for repairs. I had one side of a 01 534d9-45 overhauled and it cost close to $5000 bucks, they had to line bore the knuckle and insert bushings for the new king pins. I just recently had my 05 534d9-45 done and they did both sides for $3000, no line boring just install new bushings and king pins/thrust bushings. I own a 08 cat tl10-55(a jlg 10-55a with a cat motor) and a 05 534d9-45 ,the jlg's are way ahead of the gradalls but I personally like that rear steer. I have the 180 degree swing carriage and although it is awesome it is so heavy that it limits your carrying capacity, stick with the 90/100 degree it is way lighter. And the gradall 5's quick coupler and jlg are not the same, only the gradall g6-42a are the same as the jlg's coupler.