Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

choosing the right dozer

bombi275 ยท 2012-03-25 02:02

Hey guys, I'm new here and wanted to get a few of your opinions. I need a dozer to regrade and widen a few ski slopes and put to work other times building small house pads and cutting driveways. The problem is, I have never run one before and usually hire it done, but have enough work the next few years to justify owning my own. I was thinking about a d4h until I went to get some parts from my local Deere dealer the other day and they had a 2005 650j. I think the price was right, but knowing nothing about it, naturally, someone beat me to the punch. After running this machine around the lot for a while I realized that the hydro machine is what I want, it operates just like my bobcat and very similar to my snowcat, so it felt very natural to me, not to mention, I have a great relationship with my local Deere dealer. I would just like to hear your thoughts on if I should continue to look for a 650 or if a 550 might fit the bill as well. Also I am not sure what the differences are between the H series and the J series dozers. I would appreciate any help you all could give me on this subject as I am in new territory here and everyone local says buy a cat or don't get anything of which I don't agree with. Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1Temu2012-03-25 13:17

    I like Cats and Deeres. I've rented several Cats in the past, and like the hydros too...them little D4's with 6-ways can do pretty much what you are looking for. A couple years back I bought a Deere though...450G with a 6-way...love it!

  2. #2pwrstroke6john2012-03-25 14:02

    Those 650J's are real nice machines. I ran one loaded out with a full cab last summer for a bit it was smoother then any cat G series machine.

  3. #3ILLICEMAN2012-03-25 14:32

    No question hydro the way to g.In close quarters it should really shine.While I have a larger 750C-II LT I do love my hydro.I had a D5 H before While it was a great machine it does compare to my 750. Even a 550 J might be a great machine for yout type of work.

  4. #4BPMfore2012-03-25 18:39

    You might want to consider a wide track if possible, great machines on slopes.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2012-03-25 18:49

    You would probably be happy with a D-5C hystat. It is a very comfortable machine on slopes.

  6. #6pp13bnos2012-03-25 22:07

    I've only ran a JD 650, D3 LGP, and a D5G LGP and if I had to choose it would be a D5. Very well balanced machine.

  7. #7bombi2752012-03-26 01:45

    Thanks guys, this is just the kind of information I was looking for. It's nice to hear from guys that have actually ran both brands and not bash one or the other when they don't even have any experience with it, that's why I came to you guys. I think I'll continue leaning toward the Deere since I haven't heard anything negative about them and I've had a good 12 year relationship with my dealer 100 miles away. I've got a buddy with a d3c that I can use anytime so I think I will go a little larger. Now if I could just decide between the 550 or 650, I would love a 700, but for a first dozer, think I will stick with a little smaller and less expensive machine. Thanks again for all your input and I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

  8. #8pp13bnos2012-03-26 10:29

    Bolth will be good machines, just take care of them.

  9. #9wheelie2012-03-26 12:16

    I ran Cat all my life until 3 years ago and they parked me on a 650.... I am still amazed what this little dozer will do.. I'm still a Cat man but.. I'd have a 650 in my yard anytime..