Any civil engineer owner operators here? I know both titles are full time jobs in their own rights, but are there any guys here wearing both hats? What have you experienced as advantages and disadvantages? I'm thinking about going back to school to get an engineering degree. Work is slow... if I were to duck out to take classes, now would be a good time to do so. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions...maybe a dirty joke or two, but first hand experience is what I'm really looking for. Thanks. -Joi
Go For It!! How many CE have you discussed plan's with who had NO idea what a piece of equipment could or couldn't do.
Stump Knocker...this is just a shot in the dark, but your location is saying something to me. You wouldn't by any chance know a guy named Rick Palmer?? Anyway, cheers. :drinkup
Name doesn't ring a bell.
Joispoi- I'm partnered in a construction firm and am licensed in my state. I spent 15 years for our DOT, almost pure survey/design. Great experience in a state known for a mighty highway system. Many good friendships made with experts in the civil engineering field. We now perform work on small scale civil projects in our state. I cannot quantify exactly how much the degree/license has benefit our business operation. However, from a qualitative standpoint, it has been invaluable. One specific tool that benefits us is the ability to "speak the lingo". We own much of the civil software used in roadway design and thus are able to interface well with civil firms during the construction phase. Manipulation of files for staking, shop drawings is immediately easier for me personally. Additionally with design experience, one can also sometimes get a vibe for the engineer's intent on a set of plans. Maybe ask additional questions at pre bid to better level the playing field. Disadvantage: if things aren't going well during the job, the owner response to us usually is to the effect :" you're an engineer , you should know better/have forseen such and such problem coming." I believe that there's a tendency in the industry to create two mutually exclusive categories: design and construction. Some folks believe you're either one or the other. I believe that it's a symbiotic relationship. Running machines, building structures, etc. has enlightened me in terms of design philosophy. I know that i'd be a better designer were i to perform that specific function full time again. I also believe that we provide taxpayers with an enhanced value/product due to my design background. Obviously, there are actually really good/important reasons for some of the design parameters used on the job. bottom line: I believe the dual track opens doors. Just my 0.02
If I were you I would consider a Construction Management degree vs. Civil Engineering unless you are completely sold on the idea that you want to design projects. I went to school 5 years to get a civil engineering degree while working part time for a civil engineering/land surveying company. I can tell you that after being in that environment that long I personally was not interested in that portion of the field. I was more business orinetated and had a better feel for the field. Plus, when it comes to wages, believe me you are much better off in construction management. The operators on my crew make more than I do!? Union wages. I started as a project engineer for a large heavy/civil company and moved into a superintendent position because of my desire to be in the field. We are always assisting the engineer on desigh/build issues and value engineering. That in turn gives you a feel for design. This is just my 2 cents because I saw myself in the same seat 8 years ago. You already have field experience, and trust me, companies love resumes not just straight A's. Hope it helped.
ForsytheBros, thanks for the feedback. This is a serious decision to make and every bit of input is greatly appreciated. Beel, I'll take a look at construction management and see what it's about. I'm not 100% sold on civil engineering. That's part of the reason that I'm asking about it. I'm good at problem solving. Right now the problem that needs solving is cash flow. It seems it's not enough to offer top service. There's always someone who's willing to do the same job for less. I'm looking for that edge that will put me ahead of the pack and hopefully open some new doors.
old thread--sorry. what did you decide?