Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clarification of specifications

77Ford · 2022-05-18 12:07

I have a 329D John Deere Skid steer and I know the 29 represents 2900 pounds of operating ratings. I have 3 sets of counter weights and I cannot find how much that effects operating capacity. I've seen specifications like the following as well: Which indicates the operating rating is only 35% of capacity is that the normal? I have a project and they want me to set 3,600 pound blocks. I'll have to get them off a trailer and place them no stacking on the ground. Is the 329D capable of doing that without a high risk of damage to the machine and also do it safely? I have a 450c that can lift 13,000 pounds it's just quite a bit more work to get it there. I have a 580c as well, I assume it could lift them from either end. I have a set of forks but they are not rated for this capacity and the blocks have lifting eyes. My plan was to use a smooth bucket with a couple of chokers (rated for the load) around the bucket and hooked to a clevis thru the eye. Is there a better suggestion? I realize this is pretty basic questions but I've never tried to lift blocks before and I figure I can avoid the learning curve with all the wisdom on this board. Thank you,

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2022-05-18 23:20

    Lifting blocks as your suggesting would likely work as long as the block can't swing into the front of the machine's cab. The 35% ROC on track machines, in my view is a bit of a misnomer. Most everyone runs off of the 50% rating the SSL use or they advertise both ratings. The smaller front idler is the reason I believe for the 35% rating. I doubt your machine would have an issue with 3600 pounds. I typically use a set of forks. My SSL with a rated capacity of 3400 ROC at 50% lifts them no problem (CASE SV340). My forks are rated for 5K.

  2. #2crane operator2022-05-18 23:43

    I would rather have a short jib like this than chains around the bucket, if you have a lot of them to set. You can curl the jib to you for more height and less reach out, which will increase capacity. I wouldn't extend the boom in the heavy blocks, just leave it retracted for capacity. https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...rane-jib-–-5000-lb.-lift-capacity/194128.html

  3. #377Ford2022-05-19 08:48

    Thank you for the input , I only have 3 to set so I will just try and be careful with the swing.