I have a 1992 Volvo L30 BM with a Clark 18000 transmission. 18641 to be exact. I was idling around yesterday evening cleaning up a yard and temp gauge got to the entry into the red zone. The gauge has started waving around the last few months, thus Im not entirely sure . When I put my hand on the transmission it was probably 60-70 degrees C which would be 170F you wouldn't sit on it ill put it like that, and all I was doing was 20mins pottering around. Put my hand on the two pipes going back to the oil cooler under the radiator and they were warm too. I never checked the transmission with my hand before so cant tell if that is out of the ordinary. Oil and filter changed 250hrs ago, all clean there. The engine gauge was at 80C just out of the yellow where it always is. transmission and machine functioning perfectly. 16.5k hrs. I guess i need a new temp sender for starters and see from there. Anyone familiar with these Clark transmissions and make a stab at guessing why it could be getting hot. Is there any thermostat or anything like that installed and could be sticking.
Do you know the last time the suction screen was checked and cleaned? Could be starving for oil and making heat? Just something to try that doesn’t cost much.
Was checked yesterday it's spotless
Is the oil cooler a water type that uses engine coolant? If so I guess 170 would not be too bad for 20 minutes of run time.
It's integrated into the bottom of the radiator I think